FYI, ProSolo

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

FYI, ProSolo

Post by Mako Koiwai »

There is no way to get any info about the ProSolo from http://www.solo2.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; > Calendar

Someone emailed me asking who they should get permission from to take photos at the ProSolo. Go to our web site and imagine you don't know anything about our system .... :?
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: FYI, ProSolo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mako to wrote:There is no way to get any info about the ProSolo from http://www.solo2.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; > Calendar

Someone emailed me asking who they should get permission from to take photos at the ProSolo. Go to our web site and imagine you don't know anything about our system .... :?
That's because it's handled by National, not by the region. They have the information. They can go to SCCA.com for that.

Link --> CSCC Region's - ProSolo @El Toro - Marine Corp Air Station (Irvine, CA)

SD's region is the same way. Go to their website and they just mention the event date for the Tour. All info is at SCCA.com - Solo section.

What we DO highlight is our divisional since it's handled by us, "the region" not by National. See the banner atop that says "The TireRack SoPac Divisional".
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I guess it makes sense that we don't welcome newbies to the ProSolo :?
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mako to wrote:I guess it makes sense that we don't welcome newbies to the ProSolo :?
Who said we're not welcoming newbies?
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

By not making it easy to find anything about the auto cross this coming weekend, we discourage newbies.

Can someone show me where I can find the list of event officials: http://www.scca.com/eventitems.aspx?ite ... 7168&hub=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mako to wrote:By not making it easy to find anything about the auto cross this coming weekend, we discourage newbies.
Well the countless threads under "Events" that say ProSolo such as this one: 2011 El Toro Pro Solo 4/8-4/10
were easy to find. The forums is divided into sections. One is "EVENTS". That's where you can find the info.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

So what's the point of the solo2.com web site and the Event Calendar ?

So I need to tell a newbie and a driver that hasn't been around in a while, to drill down through the Message Board > Events > ProSolo > Event Chiefs > PM ? :shock:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mako to wrote:So what's the point of the solo2.com web site and the Event Calendar ?
Plenty of points but if I have to explain it to you then that's a whole other issue.
Mako to wrote:So I need to tell a newbie and a driver that hasn't been around in a while, to drill down through the Message Board > Events > ProSolo > Event Chiefs > PM ? :shock:
Well if a newbie has a question then they can e-mail anyone on the E-Board via the Contacts page on the main website. I get questions, as does our Chairman, all the time, through either the main Solo2.com site or via a PM through the forums. Don't under-estimate the newbies. They are savvy and know how to contact people. And if I get an e-mail that's pertaining to something I don't know about, I fwd to our e-board or club rep.
Michael Smith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

The description for the event should have a link to the msr page and/or the official page:
http://www.scca.com/event.aspx?hub=3&event=17168
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Well if a newbie has a question then they can e-mail anyone on the E-Board via the Contacts page on the main website.
It should be easier for newcomers to view the info without having to send an email.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Michael Smith wrote:The description for the event should have a link to the msr page and/or the official page:
http://www.scca.com/event.aspx?hub=3&event=17168
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Well if a newbie has a question then they can e-mail anyone on the E-Board via the Contacts page on the main website.
It should be easier for newcomers to view the info without having to send an email.
SCCA's website is a minefield and isn't user-friendly. That I agree with Michael. Our calendar just notes the date. But even on their website they have very little info.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Plenty of points but if I have to explain it to you then that's a whole other issue.
THAT is The ISSUE ! :lol: ... it shouldn't have to be explained to me let alone a Newbie :?

It's like a Bad Joke, it doesn't work if it has to be explained ...
Giovanni Jaramillo

Mako to wrote:
THAT is The ISSUE ! :lol: ... it shouldn't have to be explained to me let alone a Newbie :?

It's like a Bad Joke, it doesn't work if it has to be explained ...
Newbies can read our forums, see the Events section, find the ProSolo info, as well as the Tour info (which is for another region - SD). If they have questions they can e-mail via the many methods.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

It's "doable" the way it is now. I also don't think it's too hard for them to think of going to the Message Boards -> Events.

However, wouldn't it be more user-friendly if there was a link associated w/ the Google Calendar entry (i.e. the one you posted in this thread, Gio; or even just to the main SCCA site)?

We do the "solo2.motorsportreg.com" link for our regional entries under "Description".

It will just make the Calendar on the main solo2.com site that much better. Obviously, not just for this event, but all National/SCCA/Pro's/Whatever should at least link to scca.com in the Calendar.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:It's "doable" the way it is now. I also don't think it's too hard for them to think of going to the Message Boards -> Events.

However, wouldn't it be more user-friendly if there was a link associated w/ the Google Calendar entry (i.e. the one you posted in this thread, Gio; or even just to the main SCCA site)?

We do the "solo2.motorsportreg.com" link for our regional entries under "Description".

It will just make the Calendar on the main solo2.com site that much better. Obviously, not just for this event, but all National/SCCA/Pro's/Whatever should at least link to scca.com in the Calendar.
I believe the E-Board members control the calendar via Google now. May KJ or Mike or Seb can update it.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:It's "doable" the way it is now. I also don't think it's too hard for them to think of going to the Message Boards -> Events.

I believe the E-Board members control the calendar via Google now. May KJ or Mike or Seb can update it.
I don't mind putting a link to the specific SCCA.com page, but I'm waiting to get access to the National calendar. I only have access to the Regional calendar right now.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Jerry Thompson

Post by Jerry Thompson »

As a newbie I am fully qualified to weigh in on this subject.... I have to agree with Mako. The web site is not user friendly. If the ony contact I had with Solo was the web site I would have missed alot of good Autocross!!!! I had the fortunate experience of passing by the California Speedway event in February. I was treated very nice by smiling friendly racers, I stayed and shot about 2000 images from the sidelines. I tried finding more info on the message boards and was frustrated by the attempt. Just some friendly constructive observations .......
Jerry
PS. I did shoot Saturday and Sunday at the National. I have only posted about 10 % (300 images so far).
Thanks for looking
http://photographynut.smugmug.com/cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Jerry Thompson wrote:As a newbie I am fully qualified to weigh in on this subject.... I have to agree with Mako. The web site is not user friendly. If the ony contact I had with Solo was the web site I would have missed alot of good Autocross!!!!
Thank you for the comments Jerry. Can you give an example of what you were looking for specifically on the main Solo2.com site that you did not find or couldn't find easily?
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jerry Thompson wrote:As a newbie I am fully qualified to weigh in on this subject.... I have to agree with Mako. The web site is not user friendly. If the ony contact I had with Solo was the web site I would have missed alot of good Autocross!!!! I had the fortunate experience of passing by the California Speedway event in February. I was treated very nice by smiling friendly racers, I stayed and shot about 2000 images from the sidelines. I tried finding more info on the message boards and was frustrated by the attempt. Just some friendly constructive observations .......
Jerry
PS. I did shoot Saturday and Sunday at the National. I have only posted about 10 % (300 images so far).
Thanks for looking
http://photographynut.smugmug.com/cars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jerry - how do I buy the soft copies?
kj
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jerry! You shoot my other sport as well. http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 7624_B4nCn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and an even better one of Dougie! http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 2052_PRYQi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a similar Super Stock Road Runner to Chuck's here http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 7319_LHmJi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jerry Thompson

Post by Jerry Thompson »

Steve
I have been shooting Doug and Chuck since 2006 Sears Point. I have been hooked on door slammers and drag racing since the early 1960's. Your web site has some cool images!!!!
Jerry
Jerry Thompson

Post by Jerry Thompson »

KJ
I can sell the digital files from my web site. I usually don't enable that feature. I will enable that feature tonight on the autocross galleries, just click the buy button and look under downloads. The photographynut watermark will not be on your digital download. I will price them for $ 5.00 per image, unfortunately smugmug doesn't give me the ability to discount for multiple images. Please note that I do crop some of the images before posting as jpeg files. If you click on the thumbnail then mouse over the larger view, a small box pops up and click on the I (info) icon. It will show details about that image.
Thanks
Jerry
http://photographynut.smugmug.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Giovanni
I was trying to find more info on photographing the El Toro event. I knew the requirement for using a spotter, but didn't know who to contact. I wasn't able to locate specific info about spotters. I did go to the El Toro event and Doug quickly set me up with a spotter for the first group. Doug was gracious, and efficient.

Jerry
http://photographynut.smugmug.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Jerry Thompson wrote:Giovanni
I was trying to find more info on photographing the El Toro event. I knew the requirement for using a spotter, but didn't know who to contact. I wasn't able to locate specific info about spotters. I did go to the El Toro event and Doug quickly set me up with a spotter for the first group. Doug was gracious, and efficient.

Jerry
Thanks for the coments. We don't have information in regards to photographing our events. If you do want to and you want to be close to the action (i.e. on course) then yes you need to talk to the Event Master, and Safety Steward to request permission, assuming you get a spotter. If it's from the paddock or grid then no permission is necessary. Just bring a camera, point and click and shoot away. Again this is for local events. SInce this is a National-type of event you'd have to talk to SCCA. But if you want to talk to someone there is the "CONTACTS" link on our main site and you can choose from the main people on there (Executive Board, Solo Committee, etc...)

But I was more concerned with you not finding info about RUNNING and COMPETING in our events. Our main website clearly has many links and information regarding that and the rest of our club for our region. Your request was more specific to photography for non-drivers/spectators.

Thanks,
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jerry Thompson wrote: I was trying to find more info on photographing the El Toro event. I knew the requirement for using a spotter, but didn't know who to contact. I wasn't able to locate specific info about spotters. I did go to the El Toro event and Doug quickly set me up with a spotter for the first group. Doug was gracious, and efficient.

Jerry
Come out like before and find me or one of the other chiefs and we will take care of you.
kj
Tadd Ekstrand
Car#: 152

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Jerry! You shoot my other sport as well. http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 7624_B4nCn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and an even better one of Dougie! http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 2052_PRYQi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a similar Super Stock Road Runner to Chuck's here http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 7319_LHmJi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lambeck is still racing?
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you