General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Tadd Ekstrand
Club: CASOC
Car#: 152

Re: FYI, ProSolo

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

Tadd Ekstrand wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Jerry! You shoot my other sport as well. http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 7624_B4nCn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and an even better one of Dougie! http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 2052_PRYQi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a similar Super Stock Road Runner to Chuck's here http://photographynut.smugmug.com/Cars/ ... 7319_LHmJi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lambeck is still racing?
Never mind. I just realized Dad raced with Bob. Is Doug his Son?
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Tadd Ekstrand wrote: Never mind. I just realized Dad raced with Bob. Is Doug his Son?
Doug is his son. I think he's about 40. Been racing Super Stock and Comp for 20 years. Recently they have the A/SA Yenko Camaro. There has been a lot of attention recently to AA/SA and A/SA stockers. They are fun cars with big wheelstands. It all got crazy a couple of years ago when Bobby DeArmond and his camaro (that had been around since I was a kid) became the first stocker in the 9's. The AA/SA class was opened up for the new Factory drag only hot rods like the Dodge Challenger and Ford SuperJet. I think the reason for the stocker is that with all the Super Trash and Super Crap entries NHRA limits the field by rotating what sportsman class gets dropped at national events. Doug runs two of the three depending on what class is dropped, Stock, Super Stock, and Comp.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tadd Ekstrand
Car#: 152

Post by Tadd Ekstrand »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Tadd Ekstrand wrote: Never mind. I just realized Dad raced with Bob. Is Doug his Son?
Doug is his son. I think he's about 40. Been racing Super Stock and Comp for 20 years. Recently they have the A/SA Yenko Camaro. There has been a lot of attention recently to AA/SA and A/SA stockers. They are fun cars with big wheelstands. It all got crazy a couple of years ago when Bobby DeArmond and his camaro (that had been around since I was a kid) became the first stocker in the 9's. The AA/SA class was opened up for the new Factory drag only hot rods like the Dodge Challenger and Ford SuperJet. I think the reason for the stocker is that with all the Super Trash and Super Crap entries NHRA limits the field by rotating what sportsman class gets dropped at national events. Doug runs two of the three depending on what class is dropped, Stock, Super Stock, and Comp.
Dad loved that picture. We need to get him out there. With the right sponsors could be his new retirement job.
Tadd Ekstrand
STS 91 Honduh Civie Si Iamokwithmysexuality blue

New avatar courtesy of Mako Koiwai.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:It all got crazy a couple of years ago when Bobby DeArmond and his camaro (that had been around since I was a kid) became the first stocker in the 9's.
Sounds like their stock class also allows R-Comps.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

KJ Christopher wrote: Sounds like their stock class also allows R-Comps.
Nope. No DOT requirement at all. True slicks of ANY compound are allowed. There is a 9" tread rule which Hoosier and Mickey Thompson were amongst the most notorious to stretch (forcing NHRA to actually measure).

Stock class allows fully blueprint to certain allowed tolerances. Camshafts of stock advertised duration and lift but any thing within those parameters so nasty valve spring slamming ramps. Open headers (subject to sound requirements). Ballasted to factory shipping weights. Any rearend ratio and spools. Any springs and shocks. Any modification to the transmission within stock case, but no transbrakes.

Small block smog motors from the 80's routinely put out more than 400 crank HP.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote: Sounds like their stock class also allows R-Comps.
Nope. No DOT requirement at all. True slicks of ANY compound are allowed. There is a 9" tread rule which Hoosier and Mickey Thompson were amongst the most notorious to stretch (forcing NHRA to actually measure).

Stock class allows fully blueprint to certain allowed tolerances. Camshafts of stock advertised duration and lift but any thing within those parameters so nasty valve spring slamming ramps. Open headers (subject to sound requirements). Ballasted to factory shipping weights. Any rearend ratio and spools. Any springs and shocks. Any modification to the transmission within stock case, but no transbrakes.

Small block smog motors from the 80's routinely put out more than 400 crank HP.
Sometimes I'm too straight faced. :ugeek:
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

KJ Christopher wrote: Sometimes I'm too straight faced. :ugeek:
Your CPA face?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I noticed a PM on my NASIOC account from a fellow who wanted to ask some questions here, but he said he gave up trying to find where to Register?

When one clicks on Log In, shouldn't it offer a chance to Register ... like any other site?
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Mako to wrote:I noticed a PM on my NASIOC account from a fellow who wanted to ask some questions here, but he said he gave up trying to find where to Register?

When one clicks on Log In, shouldn't it offer a chance to Register ... like any other site?
I'll save Aaron the time.. :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's a sticky at the top of the "New to Autocross/New to the Forum" section

it's linked to the solo2 page, you register there, and the same account is used for the forum.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I'm just telling u what he said, ie. HE couldn't figure out how to Register
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Mako to wrote:I'm just telling u what he said, ie. HE couldn't figure out how to Register
With any amount of browsing around, it should be fairly easy to figure out. Again, from a usability/user-friendliness standpoint, I do agree there should be some static link "Register" which directs to either the thread Jeff posted above or the registration page on the main solo2 site.

I just logged out & clicked Login - didn't even realize there was no "Register" link anywhere on the forums.

It's easy to add a link like that. Totally worth it in my opinion (who knows how many ADD potential autocrossers have been turned away because of little things like this).
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:(who knows how many ADD potential autocrossers have been turned away because of little things like this).
personally, i'm not sure i'd want to deal with someone who would give up at the first sign of resistance :lol:

I remember when I first got on the site:

1. oh cool, another forum to read
2. how do i sign up?
3. what the hell, where's the register button?
4. oh hey, "new to forum" section.
5. ahh.. that's kinda quirky, but ok, i'll go register at solo2.com

i think the whole process took about 30 seconds.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Jeff Shyu wrote:i think the whole process took about 30 seconds.
That's 20 seconds too long for the average ADD person today, Jeff ;)

SQUIRREL!

I'll give the suby dood the benefit of the doubt that he did give the site a few minutes before giving up... just got lost on course, that's all.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
Mako to wrote:I'm just telling u what he said, ie. HE couldn't figure out how to Register
With any amount of browsing around, it should be fairly easy to figure out. Again, from a usability/user-friendliness standpoint, I do agree there should be some static link "Register" which directs to either the thread Jeff posted above or the registration page on the main solo2 site.

I just logged out & clicked Login - didn't even realize there was no "Register" link anywhere on the forums.

It's easy to add a link like that. Totally worth it in my opinion (who knows how many ADD potential autocrossers have been turned away because of little things like this).
Excellent observation QV. Aaron, could you please add a link at the top of the page similar in nature to the divisional link that says simply "Register for Events" that leads to this page:

http://solo2.motorsportreg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We should be making it as easy as possible for noobs to get here.
Last edited by George Schilling on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

George Schilling wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:

Excellent observation QV. Aaron, could you please add a link at the top of the page similar in nature to the divisional link that says simply "Register for Events" that leads to this page:

http://solo2.motorsportreg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We should be making it as easy as possible for noobs to get here.
Not sure how that would have helped Mako's newb that couldn't sign up for the ProSolo. Would have just confused him more.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Christine Berry wrote:Not sure how that would have helped Mako's newb that couldn't sign up for the ProSolo. Would have just confused him more.
Actually he wasn't even trying to sign up for the ProSolo. He just wanted to take pictures and wanted to know whom to contact. All that hoopla for nothing. Our main site has lots of info for signing up for our 'local/regional' events. But for next year when the ProSolo comes we can put a logo/image like Aaron has for the Divisional and that will just point them to the SCCA site. At that point it's out of our hands as they handle registration. As for whom to contact we have the "CONTACTS" link.

EDIT: I agree that we should have a REGISTER link....except our forums are TIED to our main Solo2.com site. So if they register there, the users' info gets updated here on the forums. But in general forums do have a "register" link.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Some of you are missing the point, he didn't want to register for an event, he wanted to register for the site so he could post a question. There needs to be a link to register for the site on the Forums. It is not at all obvious that you have to go to the main site first. In fact the small link at the top that says "Main Solo2.com Site" only says "For Calendar & General Info." Could easily add "and Site Registration". But I think a separate button would be better.

The business cards we made have scan-able links to both locations, and I'm sure people have been told to go to forums.solo2.com rather that just solo2.com at times.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Rick Brown wrote:Some of you are missing the point, he didn't want to register for an event, he wanted to register for the site so he could post a question. There needs to be a link to register for the site on the Forums. It is not at all obvious that you have to go to the main site first. In fact the small link at the top that says "Main Solo2.com Site" only says "For Calendar & General Info." Could easily add "and Site Registration". But I think a separate button would be better.

The business cards we made have scan-able links to both locations, and I'm sure people have been told to go to forums.solo2.com rather that just solo2.com at times.
Then title this thread as something else and put it in Solo Talk, I thought you were talking about registration for the ProSolo, since we are in Events and this thread is titled "FYI, ProSolo".

Confused!

I admittedly didn't pay careful attention to what Mako wrote, kinda like people obviously don't bother to read the New To This Forum section.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Christine Berry wrote:Then title this thread as something else and put it in Solo Talk, I thought you were talking about registration for the ProSolo, since we are in Events and this thread is titled "FYI, ProSolo".

Confused!

I admittedly didn't pay careful attention to what Mako wrote, kinda like people obviously don't bother to read the New To This Forum section.
Agreed, his title is misleading, has really nothing to do with "Events" per se. This thread should be moved to Policies & Procedures in my opinion (that's open to the public), and thread title should be changed.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Agreed, his title is misleading, has really nothing to do with "Events" per se. This thread should be moved to Policies & Procedures in my opinion (that's open to the public), and thread title should be changed.
As w/ most Solo2 threads, I think Mako just added information about another person in addition to the one who had questions about the pro solo. Kind of "off-topic but not" post.

If Aaron does update the login page, just make sure to re-update if/when phpbb gets a sitewide update, :).
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Moved to Solo Talk.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...