Where to get race alignment?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Where to get race alignment?

Post by James Yom »

Wondering where you all get your race alignments done, what kind of equipment is it (LED/light wave or other), how much you paid, and contact info. Note that I said race alignment and not just some tire place that does alignments. I need a very specific alignment that those tire places don't have the patience to do. Thanks.
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC
Car#: 0

Re: Where to get race alignment?

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Accurate Alignment, 971 N Batavia #A, Orange, (714) 538-1916. They spent the better part of two hours hitting the precise numbers I wanted on my Miata, with me sitting in the driver's seat. $100, ymmv. I dunno what kind of equipment they use, it was a big thing I drove up on ;). You might pay more for an alignment, but nobody tries harder.
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... RecId=1206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... RecId=5124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Heathman

Post by Grant Heathman »

Accurate Alignment, 971 N Batavia #A, Orange, (714) 538-1916
They have good stuff, but I was not that impressed with the work they did for me. It's all about the rack if you have one any monkey can do it.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

American Tire & Brake
23652 Via Fabricante
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Local:
949-830-0760

They have the fancy 3D laser or whatever it is called machine, and a tech that will do what you want.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Darin at West End Alignment.
But yeah doing it yourself is best.

I go to the shop down the street from me (Ramona Tire) where I take advantage of their unlimited lifetime alignment...Sometimes they see my car(s) 3 times in a month! As long as they will meet the specs you ask for, does it matter who does it?
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned Darin at West End Alignment.
He's old skool...does it by hand and is usually booked 2 weeks in advance and well worth it (and convenient for me as he's right next door to my BMW mechanic - South Bay Independent BMW in Gardena). Though no credit cards, only cash or check.

And I've seen Tim Albin's C-Stock Miata there as well. He comes highly recommended by several others as well.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

James, if you decide to call Darin at Westend, make sure you call Monday AM for an appointment. He books up fast and only takes appointments two weeks out.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kathy Teulie
Car#: 96

Post by Kathy Teulie »

I believe Hiro's Auto Repair in Costa Mesa does alignment. They work on many local autocross cars (Bill S., Jason W., George D., mine, etc). I really like the work they have done on my S2000. If they don't do alignment, I would recommend them highly for other work.

Address:

Hiro's Auto Repair
3042-D Enterprise
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714-545-5090

Kathy
James Yom
Current Solo Director

Post by James Yom »

Thanks guys. The reason I was specific about race alignments is that there are certain things you need to do to maximize the alignment that most tire shops won't even bother with, and if you ask, they refuse. I've also had shops refuse to let the car go with different cambers (one side will have more than the other, but I'd rather have them unequal if I can get more), and I've had shops that won't let me sit in the car when I get it aligned.

Anyway, West End is the place I want to go, but yeah, they are really particular about appointments, and I was trying to get it done this saturday, so I was trying to find other places that could do it.

Thanks Kathy, I'll look into Hiro's.

Jason, is that where you got your alignment? Are they acutually competent or just your typical tire monkeys?
Jason Isley BS RX8

James Yom wrote:
Jason, is that where you got your alignment? Are they acutually competent or just your typical tire monkeys?
They did our Corvette, Miata and RX-8. They are certainly not a "race prep shop", they are an alignment, brake and tire shop. But they have always done what I asked, and let me stand right there when they did it. You just need to tell them exactly what you want done. They also use to do Egunia's cars before he went to GMG.
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Flat pad, strings and a camber gauge :) Indy car/ALMS/Grand Am.. you wont find a laser "rack" in the pits. One team I have worked for used a laser toe gauge.. but they didn't own a flat pad.. :evil:

I will say it is VERY difficult to do an alignment on a car with RUBBER in the suspension. On cars like I posted in the pic, we *can* pre-load certain corners against the rubber bushings for more "spring" rate when we are not allowed to change springs in the class. Spec Miata is famous for doing this.

Something else I can add: One person's alignment settings does NOT mean they will work for YOU. An alignment is like a haircut. We don't all get the same hair cut :) I suggest making changes to your car until YOU are comfortable with it. I can put you on a FULL pro alignment and you will go slower (promise) Learn what YOU and YOUR car needs and adjust accordingly. Does the car not turn in with YOU driving? Are you overly aggressive with the right foot? Does it have corner entry push? Mid corner push? or corner exit push? or does it oversteer everywhere?? LOL

B
Attachments
Miller Motorsports Park ALMS IMSA Challenge 08 Porsche GT3 Cup car
Miller Motorsports Park ALMS IMSA Challenge 08 Porsche GT3 Cup car
img205s.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 8485 times
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Pat O'Neal wrote:Accurate Alignment, 971 N Batavia #A, Orange, (714) 538-1916. They spent the better part of two hours hitting the precise numbers I wanted on my Miata, with me sitting in the driver's seat. $100, ymmv. I dunno what kind of equipment they use, it was a big thing I drove up on ;). You might pay more for an alignment, but nobody tries harder.
I've sent a lot of cars to Accurate, and they have aligned a few of my personal cars as well. They do good work. When I give them specific numbers, I always get exactly what I ask for. I have checked their work when I have my car on my corner scale rack at my shop... it's right on.

As Brad mentioned, alignment settings will vary from one driver to another. Start with a basic setup, then take good notes and be prepared to make changes as you fine-tune both your car and your driving style.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Ummm yeah.... I can't help but think by the tone of many of the post you all think Yom is a newbie. He may appear to drive like @ss and be new to the area, but he has been around for a long time and is one of the top drivers in the country. He was asking for a shop referral because he is new to the area, not new. :lol:

If you want to learn about him, go check some natl B Stock results from when the S2000 was in there. 8-) Or just let him drive your car. :cry:
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Ummm yeah.... I can't help but think by the tone of many of the post you all think Yom is a newbie. He may appear to drive like @ss and be new to the area, but he has been around for a long time and is one of the top drivers in the country. He was asking for a shop referral because he is new to the area, not new. :lol:

If you want to learn about him, go check some natl B Stock results from when the S2000 was in there. 8-) Or just let him drive your car. :cry:
Yommers FTW!

By the way James, I've used Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica (Jeff) with good results. Probably not as close to you as some of the other places though...
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Ummm yeah.... I can't help but think by the tone of many of the post you all think Yom is a newbie.
Now I'm REALLY surprised he doesn't do his own alignments?? I *thought* all the top dogs had their own equipment (and a level spot in their garage marked off :D )

B
Jason Isley BS RX8

Brad Roberts wrote:
Now I'm REALLY surprised he doesn't do his own alignments?? I *thought* all the top dogs had their own equipment (and a level spot in their garage marked off :D )

B
If you are a top dog you have people to do that stuff for you. 8-)
This is Socal, never assume someone even has a garage. :lol:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jason Uyeda wrote:I've used Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica (Jeff) with good results.
+1 also for this place (uses the latest computer equipment, closer to me, available on weekends with appointment, though a bit pricey compared to Darin of West End Alignment).

Those are the two places I've been to.
Ira Cruz
Club: No$
Car#: 789

Post by Ira Cruz »

for people living in san fernando valley...
valley pacific in canoga park.
bring in your specs and they will do it closest to what you want...you can watch too.
they both have the computerized way and also the old school way.
call for appointment. they get busy.
James Yom
Current Solo Director

Post by James Yom »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Ummm yeah.... I can't help but think by the tone of many of the post you all think Yom is a newbie. He may appear to drive like @ss and be new to the area, but he has been around for a long time and is one of the top drivers in the country. He was asking for a shop referral because he is new to the area, not new. :lol:

If you want to learn about him, go check some natl B Stock results from when the S2000 was in there. 8-)
Whoa, who just hijacked Isley's account, cuz clearly it ain't him doin the writing! When I think of top drivers, I think of the name Thomason, Berry, Isley, Motonishi, McWho, you know, people that have a closet full of a certain ugly jacket. When people see "James Yom", they think opposite lock, and "was it clean?" Quite the difference hehe.
Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: Or just let him drive your car. :cry
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're scaring potential co-drives away!
Jason Uyeda wrote: Yommers FTW!

By the way James, I've used Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica (Jeff) with good results. Probably not as close to you as some of the other places though...
Holy cow, I didn't even know you knew who I was, let alone my nickname. "Hi Jason U.!" Sorry, I shoulda reintroduced myself, but I'm shy... :oops:

Thanks for the tip on Stokes. I knew they were a tire shop for high end (Ferraris and Lambos) cars, but didn't know they did alignments.

Brad, thanks for the tips. Yeah, I know exactly what I need, just need to find someone with the patience to do it my way. I've done the string thing before, and it just takes way tooo long to do it the way I need. Plus, as a street car and daily driver, not having the steering wheel completely str8 drives me nuts!
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

not having the steering wheel completely str8 drives me nuts!
Copy that!

Late model Porsche's have a factory tool that screws into the steering rack and keeps the rack from moving during alignments/toe changes/camber changes. Heaven sent I tell you!!

Porsche people like to use Steve Alarcon in the OC. I forget the name of his shop, but he has performed a LOT of race alignments.

B