Course previewing via video

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

clint child

Course previewing via video

Post by clint child »

Hello, I am Clint Child from the Arizona region. Some of you may know because I have been to many of your events. I started a thread on sccaforums and I would like all of you to take a look and comment if you feel the need (on either side). I figured if I'm gonna go down in flames it might as well be in front of as many people as possible! Go big or go home! :lol:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/forumi ... cope/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have written a letter to the SEB and encourage anyone who feels the need to do the same.

-Clint Child
Jeff Wong
Club: CASOC
Car#: 146

Re: Course previewing via video

Post by Jeff Wong »

I think the EF Civic belongs in FSP!
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
clint child

Post by clint child »

Jeff Wong wrote:I think the EF Civic belongs in FSP!
Don't make me arm wrestle you Wonger.
Jeff Wong

Post by Jeff Wong »

clint child wrote: Don't make me arm wrestle you Wonger.
SD Tour, I'll take you on the course via foot or we can arm wrestle. Peter's arm was hurting for a few days after we arm wrestled. :P
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

clint child wrote:Hello, I am Clint Child from the Arizona region. Some of you may know because I have been to many of your events. I started a thread on sccaforums and I would like all of you to take a look and comment if you feel the need (on either side). I figured if I'm gonna go down in flames it might as well be in front of as many people as possible! Go big or go home! :lol:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/forumi ... cope/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have written a letter to the SEB and encourage anyone who feels the need to do the same.

-Clint Child
If you don't get the answer you want on one or more forums, spread it around until someone agrees with you. :lol:
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I just don't see it making a significant difference either way.

Matt Braun is going to kick your ass either way. Even if you take away his video, data and 3 extra sets of tires...

Even with two equal drivers, I think the one who walked the course a couple of times is just as well prepared as the one who watched a video of the course 20 times, and any tiny advantage the video guy had is gone after the first run.
Jeff Wong

Post by Jeff Wong »

Should competitors be allowed to be the course designer at nationals? I heard the announcer for Street Touring mention that there was an advantage... Is that true?
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Jeff Wong wrote:Should competitors be allowed to be the course designer at nationals? I heard the announcer for Street Touring mention that there was an advantage... Is that true?
Heard someone picked up quite a bit of time on the east.
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

clint child wrote:Hello, I am Clint Child from the Arizona region. Some of you may know because I have been to many of your events. I started a thread on sccaforums and I would like all of you to take a look and comment if you feel the need (on either side). I figured if I'm gonna go down in flames it might as well be in front of as many people as possible! Go big or go home! :lol:

-Clint Child
I didn't know that was you starting the ruckus,. ;)
As for me, vid does not help as much as good advice. I am interested in seeing the the different perspective provided via 3d vids .
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Richard Jung wrote:

-Clint Child
I didn't know that was you starting the ruckus,. ;)
As for me, vid does not help as much as good advice. I am interested in seeing the the different perspective provided via 3d vids .
Reijo gave me some good tips as he checked me in for work on the west course, things I had thought about but not really realized their importance. I think it helped more than Shauna's vids played on a laptop that couldn't handle HD, it was choppy time warp.

Edit: Mckee's comment wins the SCCAForums thread.
clint child

Post by clint child »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:

-Clint Child
If you don't get the answer you want on one or more forums, spread it around until someone agrees with you. :lol:
There is the Jason I know and lov.... well, there is the Jason I know. I'm looking for an answer just wanting the conversation out there.

@Robert I'm gonna assume you mean the generic "your" and not specifically me, no need to call out my driving even if he can beat me everytime.

Also, I think the people who are champions will still be the champions as they are probably not the ones hunting down DFL guys and asking for video. I'm thinking this effects the middle packers more than anything.
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

One of my last times at Nationals, I only used video and did not walk the course. For me, the video was far more effective and I was able to watch it around 50-60 times. By the time I ran it, I already knew it. I am different in that walking courses for me is mostly an exercise in futility.

p.s. That same time at Nats, using the video did not help as I still got my ass kicked in FP.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Jason Isley BS RX8

Randy Chase wrote:One of my last times at Nationals, I only used video and did not walk the course. For me, the video was far more effective and I was able to watch it around 50-60 times. By the time I ran it, I already knew it. I am different in that walking courses for me is mostly an exercise in futility.

p.s. That same time at Nats, using the video did not help as I still got my ass kicked in FP.
And there is that evil crack dealer that made in-car video the wide spread epidemic that is killing the spirit of Solo. :lol:
Jason Isley BS RX8

clint child wrote: There is the Jason I know and lov.... well, there is the Jason I know. I'm looking for an answer just wanting the conversation out there.

@Robert I'm gonna assume you mean the generic "your" and not specifically me, no need to call out my driving even if he can beat me everytime.

Also, I think the people who are champions will still be the champions as they are probably not the ones hunting down DFL guys and asking for video. I'm thinking this effects the middle packers more than anything.
Oh, reading your various posts I thought you just wanted to argue about it until everyone agreed with you... My mistake. But restarting the same thread on numerous forums does not seem to be helping your case. :computer:

When you are done with this mission, how about tackling the cheated-up boosted ST cars. You know they are all doing it. :o
clint child

Post by clint child »

clint child wrote:
When you are done with this mission, how about tackling the cheated-up boosted ST cars. You know they are all doing it. :o
Well at least the one I beat you with was...
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

2006 called, they want their bench racing argument back... :lol:

All that "real" racing in a toy car put you way behind the times. These days it's all about 195/50-15 cheater Toyos on cherry picking civics.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Sebastian Rios wrote: 2006 called, they want their bench racing argument back... :lol:

All that "real" racing in a toy car put you way behind the times. These days it's all about 195/50-15 cheater Toyos on cherry picking civics.
That is nonsense... I tried a set of those as rains at Willow Springs and nearly died. Oh wait, those were used 225s I got from Kmo, bastard gave me the bunk set.

Anybody know where I can get the camber tire in a 13"? I hear they are the next big thing. }:)
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

clint child wrote: @Robert I'm gonna assume you mean the generic "your" and not specifically me, no need to call out my driving even if he can beat me everytime.

Clint I don't know what class you run in, so the Braun comment was just a chance to mention the 3 sets of tires issue... ;-) Nothing personal.

It sounds like we agree that the video stuff doesn't effect trophies or contingency money. As you say, just the mid-pack folks like myself. That being the case, I guess it really is a non-issue.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I was hoping the 3D GoPro would be the next big thing in making AX course videos more informative, but since GoPros are designed for up-close, in your face videos, the cameras had to be positioned too close together for decent DISTANCE 3D separation. I've experimented with having two GoPro's further apart, at least equaling average human eye separation, but the extra wide GoPro lenses make the distant approaching cones too small for a dramatic 3D effect.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Mako to wrote:I was hoping the 3D GoPro would be the next big thing in making AX course videos more informative, but ... the cameras had to be positioned too close together for decent DISTANCE 3D separation.
Depth Perception
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I would agree that this is a non-issue. It's well known that top drivers (usually those who were winning long before on board video) will often have only a second or two spread between their first and third runs, whether they review video or not. There are just too many things that video of somebody else's runs doesn't tell you. Line selection changes drastically base on the type of car, and driving style. You also probably won't be able to notice the driver's more minute pedal inputs and mistakes. I.E. giving it up too soon, or getting on it too early. Basically, all the video will give you is a general idea as to how the course flows at speed, which anyone who is at Nationals can probably already determine from a couple course walks. The finer points of how to attack the course still need to be learned on course with your own car in the first run. My $.02
Mark D.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

I know that video helped me during the national tour inbetween runs. Mostly because it is MY driving that I am trying to correct and video does a good job at stating those obvious mistakes. I know that for after day one at nationals (I ran west) mike Jr Johnson had his east course video on YouTube already. I watched it halfway and knew how useless it was.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Mark DeShon wrote:I would agree that this is a non-issue. It's well known that top drivers (usually those who were winning long before on board video) will often have only a second or two spread between their first and third runs, whether they review video or not. There are just too many things that video of somebody else's runs doesn't tell you. Line selection changes drastically base on the type of car, and driving style. You also probably won't be able to notice the driver's more minute pedal inputs and mistakes. I.E. giving it up too soon, or getting on it too early. Basically, all the video will give you is a general idea as to how the course flows at speed, which anyone who is at Nationals can probably already determine from a couple course walks. The finer points of how to attack the course still need to be learned on course with your own car in the first run. My $.02
Mark D.

Best answer of the group. If the video could be used to create an instant simulation (which can be done, but none of can afford it) then it might have value, but its a special person who could watch a video especially absent data and improve their performance significantly.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Randy Chase wrote:One of my last times at Nationals, I only used video and did not walk the course. For me, the video was far more effective and I was able to watch it around 50-60 times. By the time I ran it, I already knew it. I am different in that walking courses for me is mostly an exercise in futility.

And there is that evil crack dealer that made in-car video the wide spread epidemic that is killing the spirit of Solo. :lol:

I assume the laughing means your kidding? The video's and ability to post them and then watch your competitors and get and give comments to me are something I think really adds to the spirit.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Nice try Clint... But killing the power last night to Socal, AZ and Mexico won't make your thread go away.