MSM miata vs AP1 S2K -- opinions?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kathy Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 96

Re: MSM miata vs AP1 S2K -- opinions?

Post by Kathy Teulie »

Hi, I have an AP1 S2000. Overall I think the CR S2000 is a better car but both the AP1 and the AP2 are good cars too. I think all three S2000 versions are great cars and fun. My S2000 is very fun to drive in the canyons as well as autocross. I don't know anything about the specific Miata you mentioned but in general I know they are very well balanced cars.

The features I like of both the AP1 and AP2 are as follows:

AP1
The AP1 redline is higher than the AP2 and so on a very fast course you don't have to shift to third. You can keep it in first longer as well.

AP2

The AP2 has much better tire options since they are on 17inch wheels. I have struggled with tire sizes for my AP1.
The tires can be wider on the AP2
The AP2 has more toque than the AP1 and has a bigger engine.

Have fun with which ever car you pick.

Kathy
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

Charles Kim wrote:Toyo R1Rs and Star Specs both have a 275 option that may work.
I would try 245/275 with your front bar set soft. 255 front might work, but on a 7.5 inch wheel, itmight be too sloppy, and you don't want the front tire to be sloppy.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

James Yom wrote:
Charles Kim wrote:Toyo R1Rs and Star Specs both have a 275 option that may work.
I would try 245/275 with your front bar set soft. 255 front might work, but on a 7 inch wheel, itmight be too sloppy, and you don't want the front tire to be sloppy.

fixed for yah :gpower:
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

Wooow! Checked this thread after a few days and didn't realize so many people posted. Thanks everyone!

It looks like the final ride will end up being a AP2. I have a good friend of mine that's selling one in my price range so soon as my miata sells I'm jumping on it.

When I do compete I aim to win as many in SK2 will tell you, and although I won't have the money to really set the car up right off the bat I at least would like a good base to build from. I like the SK class mostly for the varied competition and cheeper running cost overall, so I'm glad to see the AP2 works better there. Sucks to jump out of SK2 but with the intro of the Z, RX8, etc the miata lost it's good footing. I recall having a M3 show up at an event once and was soundly routed. Nothing I could do! Lol.

It's now just a matter of picking out a sway bar once I get the car. :) thanks again everyone!

--Dan
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Isn't the S2000 a SK1 car? You said SK2 ....
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mako to wrote:Isn't the S2000 a SK1 car? You said SK2 ....
Dan Shaw wrote:... Sucks to jump out of SK2 but ...
;)
Timothy Aing

Post by Timothy Aing »

Dan Shaw wrote: When I do compete I aim to win as many in SK1 will tell you, and although I won't have the money to really set the car up right off the bat I at least would like a good base to build from. I like the SK class mostly for the varied competition and cheeper running cost overall, so I'm glad to see the AP2 works better there...

It's now just a matter of picking out a sway bar once I get the car. :) thanks again everyone!

--Dan
I'm looking forward to competing with another AP2 in SK1 ;) In terms of sway bar, I've had good luck with installing the bigger CR/AP1 bar with street tires, but have also been told that the AP2 could still benefit from an even bigger bar such as the Saner. But you can't go wrong with either. Good luck to you!
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Timothy Aing wrote:
Dan Shaw wrote: When I do compete I aim to win as many in SK1 will tell you, and although I won't have the money to really set the car up right off the bat I at least would like a good base to build from. I like the SK class mostly for the varied competition and cheeper running cost overall, so I'm glad to see the AP2 works better there...

--Dan
I'm looking forward to competing with another AP2 in SK1 ;) In terms of sway bar, I've had good luck with installing the bigger CR/AP1 bar with street tires, but have also been told that the AP2 could still benefit from an even bigger bar such as the Saner. But you can't go wrong with either. Good luck to you!
Actually, the CR is an AP2. Costs around $100+ for a CR front bar vs. $700+ for anything else. :unimpressed:
Timothy Aing

Post by Timothy Aing »

Ron Tsumura wrote: Actually, the CR is an AP2. Costs around $100+ for a CR front bar vs. $700+ for anything else. :unimpressed:
Hey Ron! Yes, but what I meant was CR bar OR AP1 (00-01) bar as they are both stiffer than non-CR AP2s:

From an S2ki post:
Sway Bars Overall diameter X wall thickness
00-01 Front 28.2mm X T5.0 - Rear 27.2mm X T5.3
02-03 Front 26.5mm X T4.5 - Rear 27.2mm X T4.5
04-07 Front 26.5mm X T4.5 - Rear 25.4mm X T4.5
08-? Front 27.2 X T5.3 - Rear 25.4 X T4.5
08 CR Front 28.6 X T4.5 - Rear 26.5 X T4.5
Charles Kim

Post by Charles Kim »

I run full Comptech V2 bar and it's very well balanced. Not pushy at all. But I have magic shocks.
Dan Shaw

Post by Dan Shaw »

Good points on the bars... I had been looking into options and although I like the peace of mind in an adjustable bar, if it's tuned right anyways that works too. Once I found a good bar setting I never touched the bar afterwards; the ST bar on my miata has been full stiff the entire time it's been installed.

Thanks for the well wishing. Going to show the miata to someone this weekend so hopefully it will pan out. looking forward to getting into some new kit.

Another random question: are Koni Yellows for the AP2 worth it? In the miata it made up for the lack of a rear bar somewhat but in the S2000 I'm not sure how it will behave. Seems the consensus is Konis are too soft without a valve job.

BTW THANK YOU Kathy Teulie for your perspective. I've seen you guys running your red AP1 for a while now and always wondered what you thought of it.

--Dan
Last edited by Dan Shaw on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

The stock shocks on the S2000 feel sloppy compared to custom-valved shocks, but are not significantly slower. I've heard the same thing you heard about Koni Sports - the stock valving isn't that great. I think I'd run the stock shocks in your situation.
Dan Shaw

Post by Dan Shaw »

John Stimson wrote:The stock shocks on the S2000 feel sloppy compared to custom-valved shocks, but are not significantly slower. I've heard the same thing you heard about Koni Sports - the stock valving isn't that great. I think I'd run the stock shocks in your situation.
Thank you very much for your perspectives as well John. :) is that yours in your avatar? What wheels are those if they work in AS? Not sure if it's just a result of the camera but they look aftermarket unless they're the JDM wheels?
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

The front wheels are Kosei K1-TS. The rear wheels are SSR GT7, no longer made. Tire Rack is closing out the rear size of the TR Motorsports F3 right now, and unfortunately they don't have fronts any more. The nice thing about a full set of the F3s is that you could use the stock lug nuts because they were made with seats for the Honda round lug nut profile.

It looks like the OZ Alleggerita is made in appropriate size and offset, and are very light, and fairly expensive. The cheap option is a set of used AP2 stock wheels.