Looking for CM car

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Michael Wood

Looking for CM car

Post by Michael Wood »

This should probably go in classifieds, but maybe not, as there's a discussion combined...

I'm looking to buy a CM car, as I've sold my Shelby. In a perfect world, I'd find a Swift DB1 that was turnkey for no more than $12,000. Seeing as one just went on ebay for $10,200, that seems reasonable.

Now, the discussion part...I know that there is a growing number of CM cars on the west coast, a number owned by folks on this board.
How did you find your car?
What were your top criteria when looking?
I want an inboard suspension car, but does SCCA club racing success of a particular chassis equate to a better car for Solo?

Thanks,
Mike
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: Looking for CM car

Post by Robert Puertas »

I found the Mondiale on Apexspeed.
Paid $6k and shipped it out from Louisville.

Mondiale and Reynard were two of the chassis I knew I could fit in.
No way I could fit in a Swift, those things are tiny, especially in the foot box.

I don't think you need a modern car to win CM, but I did like the price point of the non-Swift in-board cars.

The earlier cars are eligible for CF road racing and some even for vintage. This makes them worth more to more people.
Also, certain brands seem to have stronger followings overseas, and a number of the non-Swift in-board cars have been heading to OZ and NZ. They allow a wider rear wheel, which may play a hand in what is competitive...

Whatever you end up with, I think it can be made competitive in CM. Either way, CM on the west coast is shaping up quite nicely!
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

I also found my '85 VD on Apexspeed. Also paid $6000 including trailer. I was fortunate in that it was local, however it was not set up for autox. Between our two cars, hopefully we can learn from each other so we can get competitive.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Good stuff, thanks guys. Sounds like a good group is forming out here, for sure.

I drove Mark Mervich's VD this weekend at Marina and the hook was set...I had been thinking about it for awhile, but now I NEED a CM car.
Doug Kott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Hey Mike,

Do you still have the MR2? If so, I hope you're enjoying it.

--Doug
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

If it is still for sale you should jump on Jim Bishops car. http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great car, and he is a great guy to deal with.
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Thanks, Jason. I left Jim a voicemail, we'll see what happens...I'd be all OVER that car.

Doug, I still have Mr.Two. Actually found a set of DA Konis built by ProParts that I'll be installing (hopefully) this weekend. I'm also mounting up a set of Toyos on the stock rims, for daily driver use and general mischief. ;)
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Michael Wood wrote:Thanks, Jason. I left Jim a voicemail, we'll see what happens...I'd be all OVER that car.

Doug, I still have Mr.Two. Actually found a set of DA Konis built by ProParts that I'll be installing (hopefully) this weekend. I'm also mounting up a set of Toyos on the stock rims, for daily driver use and general mischief. ;)
Don't get your hopes up yet.

Jim e-mailed me back in August and said it was "tentatively sold" back then. :cry:
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Yeah...I'd expect it is gone.

There's another Swift for sale up here that looks ok, but the guy wants all the money ($17.7k)...which is probably why it has been for sale since June.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

SoPac news has a '92 Van Dieman, $11,999. In SanDiego, don't know seller/car, just saw the add.

Wmwalls@roadrunner.com
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Thanks, Eric. I sent an email, we'll see what the deal is...

edit: the VD in SD is sold.
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ct ... 39965.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-)
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

I approve of the color! :-D
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Right down the street from my house.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Pretty car, but I'm interested in the '84-'94 era with inboard suspension. Thanks for posting.

The price seems pretty reasonable for a Merlyn, as IIRC they have a really good following in vintage racing and a solid reputation. I wonder if it is because the 29/31 cars are kind of "tweeners"...too new to run with the big vintage organizations, but not going to get it done in Club Ford?