Fastest track in the West vs. Autocross.

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Abbott
Club: CASOC
Car#: 48

Fastest track in the West vs. Autocross.

Post by Steve Abbott »

Some of you guys might have missed this. Show your road racing buddies how slow autocross is.
http://vimeo.com/10223189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve A.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Re: Fastest track in the West vs. Autocross.

Post by Eric Clements »

Cool video. At Willow Springs do they have signs "no testing while driving"? Looks like it wouldn't be that hard...
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

That other guy was just missing a Starbucks in his hand.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Nice, but I would use your AX'ing Vette's exhaust as the sound track
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mako to wrote:Nice, but I would use your AX'ing Vette's exhaust as the sound track
:thumbup:
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

A little closer to reality at WSIR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jPnsSF6zMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

And another one showing why track is boring ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8_usOvpbz8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Steve Abbott wrote:Some of you guys might have missed this. Show your road racing buddies how slow autocross is.
http://vimeo.com/10223189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve A.
If the video on the right does not put you to sleep... The soundtrack will. :lol:
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Toby Larsson wrote:And another one showing why track is boring ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8_usOvpbz8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ya gotta love a ringer gridded at the back plus no rule about "no passing" until you pass the start/finish line.

I always enjoy that old clip whenever someone posts it.

:thumbup:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Nice One John!

I didn't find the 7 laps that Terry Free did with me in his C6 Z06 T1 car boring ... but of course it always feels faster from the passenger seat. Going into Turn 8 at 150+ was pretty exciting ... and my gut ached for days afterwards from the strain of trying to keep my legs in place (seat was too far back).

Perhaps those of us that can't think very fast enjoy the "slower pace" of track time since we have more time to experience and enjoy the relatively drawn out sensations while in AX everything is a blur. :lol: Of course wheel to wheel racing is different. But it's cool to be along side cars that are basically going the same speed as you since they are sort of in slow motion against the background. And in AX you don't have the "thrill" of being forced off the road by idiots that don't get that Time Trials is all about time and not track position. :?
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

Mako to wrote:Time Trials is all about time and not track position.
That depends on how the event organizer sends out the cars. If they let the slower car out first, then the faster car, and not enough gap in between, the faster car will most likely catch the slower car. That would basically ruin the lap time of the faster car. That happened to me once. I caught up to a slower car in my 2nd timed lap, and I was stuck behind him for half of that lap. He didn't want to lift because, obviously, he wanted to get a good lap time too. I had to drag race him down the front straight before my 3rd and final timed lap.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

All three of the Time Trials I've done so far have been 4 to 5 20 minute sessions. After the first session grid was set by times. Anything else is stupid for a Time Trial?!

At the last one I quickly caught up to one fellow, he was fast down the front straight. Stayed next to me going into the Left/Right esses that start a lap at Chuckwalla. I was inside on the first section but then on the outside for the 2nd bit. He was still next to me and drifting out so I drove off course to avoid contact. Luckily Chuckwalla has very smooth even transitions between track and off. Of course I could have let off also. :D Got him at the end of the lap even with my sideways in the dirt off. I was going to have a word with him after that last session but he LEFT!?

(with the house in Santa Barbara rented Karen and I can now get back to doing track events! :gpower: )
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

In a time trial if you do more then 3 or 4 laps in a session you're just wearing out your tires. In most cases, your fast laps will be in the morning.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yup ... times always seem to drop off in the afternoon, even with more Seat Time ... still a big factor for a track newb like myself. But if the last session is cool, I've sometimes posted my fast time then.
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

Back when Bryan and I were doing OTC, we had a trick that could only be used once.

We would run the first session of the day and post a quick time (but not as fast as we could go) and then fake a mechanical problem. We would work on that while our competitors would go out and run their sessions and set faster times. They would come by and we would mention that we were done for the day while showing them some bogus broken parts. They would pack up and leave and then we would go out in the last session and set the fastest time.