Renee, you will be missed.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Gayle.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Re: SAD, SAD NEWS

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Renee was the Chairman of the E-Board that was responsible for voting me Novice Coordinator of this region. I didn't really have enough experience to really qualify, IMO, since I had only been autocrossing for 14 months, but I worked hard to make the most of the opportunity and have enjoyed every minute of it. I'll always remember Renee and company for giving me that chance.

I will also remember that she was, like me, a cancer fighter and I'm glad she shared that experience with us. She could have easily just stayed at home and never talked about it. By being open about it, she made it not just her fight, but ours. Thanks for the memories, Renee.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Greg Peng
Club: PSCC
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

:(
Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

I only met Renee once- at my first event back in September. I stayed around on Sunday to help pick up cones- I remember it was late, getting dark, and everyone was tired since it had been such a hot, long day. I think she thanked me at least 5 times, and remembered my name every time someone new came up: "This is Davin, it's his first event, and he's volunteered to help clean up!" It's easy to see why she was such an impact on our local club and so many of the people involved. Her enthusiasm and dedication were infectious, even at that first event. I wish I'd gotten involved in the sport earlier so that I would have had a chance to know her!

Condolences to her family and friends. I wish you all well!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

More on Renee from the SoPac site. I love the title: Cal Club loses Renee, but will forever have an Angel
http://blog.scca-sopac.org/2011/12/cal- ... rever.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

I am a Safety Steward because of Renee Angel. And those that have been around long enough have probably seen us have some horrific shouting matches. And why did we? Because we both cared so much abut our sport, but actually, NO ONE cared about our sport as much as Renee. There LITERALLY wouldn't be CalClub Solo if it weren't for Renee. Period. Sure, there are scores of people that have helped keep our great sport going and will continue to do so, but without the efforts of Renee we would not be here.

One of the greatest honors I have received in autocrossing was not some race I won, but when someone told me that Renee said I was a good Safety Steward. I nearly cried hearing that.

The longer I do this sport, the more I realize how much Renee knew. She was the heart of our sport and I will greatly miss her.

R.I.P.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Wow. This hurts. RIP Renee.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Renee.... So much to say, yet I've been staring at a blinking cursor for 20 minutes. Renee fancied herself, well, a bitch (Her word, not mine), but I don't think she was fooling anybody. A tough outer shell, to be sure, but she had an amazing mothering instinct, especially with everybody in the No$ Club. She made it a point to make sure nobody beat up on me as a course designer earlier this year. I've seen her offer motherly advice and/or a listening ear to many who needed it. The times I saw her whip someone into line was usually because they weren't pulling their weight, and she didn't want the burden to fall too heavily on too few. She was always very kind and caring with me as well.
She certainly wasn't afraid of letting others know her point of view on things. I know she often had disagreements with others, but nobody could accuse her of not caring. She gave a damn! She loved the sport we all participate in and the 'family' she found within it, and it showed in the way she fought. She stayed with us after Craig left us. She fought cancer to stay with us. She fought with anybody who she figured didn't best serve us. She was a tough cookie!
I will miss her profoundly. :( Rest in peace, Renee.
Mark D.
Last edited by Mark DeShon on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tetsu Fukui
Club: No$
Car#: 308

Post by Tetsu Fukui »

RIP Renee, you will be missed...
Mary Ankeny

Post by Mary Ankeny »

Renee, as did Craig, unselfishly helped the Solo community for 30 years. None of us will be able to duplicate their work. Renee not only was instrumental with the ladies school, but also the kids karting program. Renee was a big supporter of the program, before it was fashionable. Renee will be truly missed by all. During this time of reflection, I think it's important to look around at others who have done MORE than their share for over 20 years notibly the Jardine family and Rick Brown. These people also work tirelessly for all of us. Don't forget to say "Thanks" to all of those people that "try" to make a difference. Safety Stewards, Event Chairs, Course Designers, that we all don't necessarily agree with all of the time, at least are trying. This is a competitor run sport. All of us have busy other lives too, but the people who volunteer do more. All of us need to help. Rest in peace Renee, Thanks for all of your help! Guy Ankeny
Gayle Jardine
Club Representative
Club: TCC
Car#: 89

Post by Gayle Jardine »

It is wonderful all of the comments and love being said about Renee. I have started to put together a memorial slide show, much like I did for Craig at his passing. I have copied several of the photos posted here. If anyone else has photos or stories they would like to share with all of us please forward them to me at solo2mom@aol.com. I would love to include your photos and/or memories in my presentation. Renee made such an impressions on all of us!
Mari Clements
Car#: 130

Post by Mari Clements »

I can't even fathom CalClub without Renee...her passion, her commitment, her spunk. She was truly second to none, and we will all miss her very, very much.
Tom Berry
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Renee was an incredible woman and she will be missed. There has never been a doubt that she loved our sport and all those in it. She loved to tell Theresa and I about how she watched our "babies" while we drove..... always a giver that Renee. Thanks for everything Renee!
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I wouldn't have met any of you or any of the great folks I've met from all over the country if it weren't for Renee. We'll miss you, and remember you well.
John Williams

Post by John Williams »

Wow is all I can say. I haven't been out to solo event in a few years. I had no idea Renee was sick. Like everyone has said she will be missed. I had some good times with her back when I made every event. The only time we had any problems was when I jumped ship from NO$ to SNAX. Boy she was mad, But she got over it and still talked to me.

RIP Renee.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Until now, I felt that Renee and I had a unique, close connection. We'd exchange brief phone calls or e-mails, share private conversations at events, or even discuss relatively mundane things about the region, and all of those made me feel like we were on the same page in a rare manner.

I think that was Renee's gift. She was wasn't afraid of being abrasive or gruff - with reason, generally to protect the region or her friends - but she made an enormous number of people feel special.

The SCCA, Cal Club, and all of us fortunate enough to have experienced all that is Renee have lost her physical presence, but we haven't lost Renee. She lives on in all of us.
Byron Goodman
Car#: 757

Post by Byron Goodman »

Renee always came across as a very positive influence, and really worked hard to make sure that I stayed inline. She truely seemed to care about the club and the individuals. I will remember her always as a unique and very likeable person. RIP.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

To many great interactions with Renee to list just one. What will stand out the longest is Craig's and Renee's interactions at E Board meetings. At my first meeting, I assumed they were bitter Ex's.

But it takes real love to pick on each others faults, and habits, lovingly.

On another note:
Has someone considered contacting Sports Car about writing an article about Renee in memorandum?

Separately, I believe we should start a campaign to have both Craig & Renee nominated to the SCCA Hall of fame. How many others have been so heavily involved in the different aspects of SCCA as they were? The SCCA was their family, I believe they ought to be recognized beyond those of us for whom they personally touched. What a better way to honor their commitment to the organization.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Craig Naylor wrote:To many great interactions with Renee to list just one. What will stand out the longest is Craig's and Renee's interactions at E Board meetings. At my first meeting, I assumed they were bitter Ex's.

But it takes real love to pick on each others faults, and habits, lovingly.

On another note:
Has someone considered contacting Sports Car about writing an article about Renee in memorandum?

Separately, I believe we should start a campaign to have both Craig & Renee nominated to the SCCA Hall of fame. How many others have been so heavily involved in the different aspects of SCCA as they were? The SCCA was their family, I believe they ought to be recognized beyond those of us for whom they personally touched. What a better way to honor their commitment to the organization.

Great idea! :thumbup:
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

Renee was an incredibly wonderful person as many others have pointed out.

I remember being a nervous novice my first time to grid at ACS. She definitely made her command presence known immediately, but I sensed from that first moment that she was there to protect and serve. That she did quite effectively.

Pre-grid will not be the same without Renee.

Oli
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Any word on services?
Mark D.
Anthony Munoz
Car#: 50

Post by Anthony Munoz »

IMHO Renee's number should also be retired as a permanent remembrance in her honor.
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Anthony Munoz wrote:IMHO Renee's number should also be retired as a permanent remembrance in her honor.
Agreed.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

Anthony Munoz wrote:IMHO Renee's number should also be retired as a permanent remembrance in her honor.
yes
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tom Tanquary wrote:
yes
In the works.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.