Your best "Renee" story

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Your best "Renee" story

Post by Will Kalman »

I think it would be great for people to share their best "Renee" story. I'll start....

After the Great Message Board Wars of 2002 where Renee was initially very much opposed (along with some others) to the creation of private message boards for individual clubs, Renee had a change of heart and even asked for the No$ board to be activated soon after the issue was resolved in favor of club boards. Some time later when I first implemented online registration, I had all sort of difficulty with Event Masters getting confused over the event set-up forms on the "admin" side of the site. When it came time for No$ to host an event, I expected all sorts of issues with Renee with regards to the event setup form. Anticipating this, I sent her an email that said, in effect, "Let me know if you have trouble with the form, I know you're not a big fan of online registration". The answer back? "I already set it up, it was easy."

Despite her stubborn streak (earned from years of experience!), she was very capable of adapting and taking care of business no matter the circumstances.
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Re: Your best "Renee" story

Post by Tom Tanquary »

I don't have a specific story but the one thing I'll always remember about her - besides all the mamma bear aspects and her love of the sport - is the way she could move mountains with just a look. If you made eye contact with her you knew everything you needed to know. Whether it was a warm greeting or a nod of approval, or the steely laser beams of death. You always knew what was going to come before a word was spoken. I can't think of anyone out there that used their face with such power. The side glances where she could roll her eyes so subtly and direct that silent comment to you were priceless. She was a master of non-verbal communication. Being a photographer by trade, I found her expressions to be golden. She was as authentic as it gets. She was real.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Thomas Smith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

I have two...

Back in 1994 the famous R package Miata came out and a very well know competitor from Georgia named Rene Eady flew out here to take delivery of the first one directly from Mazda in Irvine. Since she was in the area she stayed to run our Pro Solo that year which was at Irvine Meadows. Well, Rene Eady who Renee Angel had never met was having some sort of dispute with a taxi driver and was clearly getting very upset. Renee Angel seeing this comes over and just goes off on the cab driver who quickly got back in his cab and fled. It was awesome!

When I first met my late wife Nicole in 2000 I suggested she browse the message board to get an idea of what autocross was about although the board was pretty volatile back then. Her only question after reading the posts.... "who is Renee Angel?"
Thomas Smith
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Actually, Renee was the very first person we met from Cal-Club. It was last June. Not that long ago. We had a curiosity about this thing called "SOLO" and decided that we should check it out. As coincidence would have it, and living in the High Desert, the event we decided to "check out" was the Lone Pine Time Trial up near Bishop. As we pulled onto the tarmac of this abandoned World War II airfield, Renee was crossing our path. I rolled down the window of our "new" 1995 Miata and asked "Is this the SCCA Time Trial?". She said "Yes, it is. Are you planning on running?" We most definitely were NOT planning on running. I said "No, we don't even have helmets". I figured that would put an end to it. Renee kind of shrugged her shoulders and wandered off.

A few minutes later, Renee comes walking back with this little leprechan of a guy and says "This is my friend Irish, he's gonna tech your car... and you can pick up some loaner helmets over there in that motorhome". Ten minutes later, I made my very first run at a SOLO event on a runway in the middle of nowhere. It was a blast and we knew then and there that THIS was going to cure my need for speed. Thank you Renee! We will miss you darlin. But we won't forget you. You have touched many.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Jo Ann Lynch
Car#: 0

Post by Jo Ann Lynch »

My favorite times with Renee were in Cabo San Lucas playing a game called Farkel (a game Theresa Berry taught us). Seeing her beautiful blue eyes light up when she knew she was about to win were truly wonderful moments. She was truly generous with her Time Shares and if she had anything you wanted or could use, it was yours, no questions asked. Renee you were a dear friend and I will miss you terribly, but am also glad you are no longer in pain. Love you Renee, Jo Ann.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

I was working one of the sections of a Lotus West school back in the first month I started auto crossing. A car spun and stalled 180 degrees past the corner where I was working and Renee was driving a student's car, coming up to the stalled car. I was waving my red flag and she didn't see me because she was talking to the student and showing him something. As she went by I shouted "STOP!" She jumped, slammed on the brakes, and yelled, "Why the hell are you yelling at me asshole?" My reply, got her laughing, "Because you're not paying attention to my waving red flag bitch!" We were friends from then on.
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

I could not decide on any one story - and I suppose I will be posting multiple in time - but here are a few of the "good times" involving Renee during our trips to Cabo San Lucas:

We had just arrived in Cabo and were getting settled in our rooms. We stayed in two different time shares (both owned by the Angels, who generously invited us every year) that were walking distance from each other. When we got back together, we were shocked at the site of Renee's arm. Somehow, she'd gotten it caught in her suitcase - and she ended up tearing off a huge piece of her skin. She bought some triple antibiotic ointment at a local pharmacy, but soon it became obvious that this wound needed professional medical attention. We were told by the hotel staff that there was an "urgent care" doctor at another hotel. We went with Renee to this hotel and found the doctor. Instead of being taken to some private room, however, the doctor sat Renee down on a couch in the middle of the busy hotel reception room and he cleaned and treated her wound in front of all the hotel guests checking in! The scene was amazing! Many hotel guests gathered around to watch the procedure - like a side show at a circus! We joked that we should charge admission to help pay for the treatment. Although the process was painful, Renee didn't seem to mind being in the "spotlight".

Renee and Craig had spent many vacations in Cabo - and were clearly recognized and known by name at many of the local establishments.

Another time we were down in Cabo, we went down to the marina to find this guy, Felipe, that Renee touted as being a guy who could "hook us up" with fishing boats at the best price, or in this case, a sunset tour on a pirate ship - complete with on-board entertainment. The deal is struck for tickets and we pay this guy. We then head over to the dock where this pirate ship is docked and folks are boarding for the cruise around the "Land's End". Well, the operators didn't seem to recognize our tickets as being legitimate and the reality that we had been ripped off was quickly descending upon us. While I don't remember all the details, somehow, Renee found Felipe and she gave him a piece of her mind! Shortly, we were headed back to the pirate ship, this time with Felipe accompanying us! After a lively discussion in Spanish between Felipe and the ship's operators, we were allowed to board the ship! We had a fantastic evening and were treated to an awesome view of the tip of Baja California!

Felipe had also "hooked us up" in 2000 for a fishing trip. Craig had taken too much Dramamine and slept the whole trip down in the hold of this small yacht. My husband got terribly seasick and spent the whole trip head hanging over the side of the boat. Renee and I had a great time fishing. Because the "first mate" was sick, we only had the Captain of the boat with us. I piloted the yacht at the captain's command, while Renee hauled in some good-sized Dorado (mahi mahi). She was so thrilled and proud of her catch. We ate those fish for dinner that night - and I can tell you there is nothing better than fish right off the boat.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Hollywood park, sitting in the shade of the RV awning (before it got killed by Fontucky wind). I had just started competing, I didn't really know a lot of people but I knew Renee and Gayle were some the leaders. I was sitting in earshot of them and I heard Renee saying "His name is Sebastian, he is just so good looking and a great driver..." I'm thinking to myself: Wow! must have really made a good impression, as my hat size grows exponentially by the second. Then I hear her say "Loeb that's it Sebastian Loeb, he drives rally cars". :lol:
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

At one of the SCNAX cups Renee was the Safety Steward of record. I was on my last run of a particually fast and twichy MR2. Holding the throttle down just a little to long sent me sideways through the finish taking half the course with me.

I immediatly parked the car and was heading to work in the trailer, Reene was heading the other way glaring out at the MR2, we cross paths near my finish line mishap (Shaua R. was working the area and overheard us).

I asked her in my best acusational voice "Did you yell at that A-hole in the MR2?". She proceeded to tell me what she was going to do to him when she got out to the parking lot. I let her go for about 30seconds before I whispered it was me. Smerking, annoyed, shaking her head and laughing she headed back to the motorhome. Shaua got a good giggle from it as well.

Jay W
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Many years ago at a Night of the Living Dead event at Norton, we had a huge influx of the Fast and Furious crowd. The event was pretty chaotic, we were oversubscribed, the paddock was stuffed and along comes these huge crowds of buzzing Integras. Many of this crowd parked along the entrance and started drinking and carrying on. One particular yellow ITR with something like, "Don't F it up" stickered diagonally across the sides started buzzing the access road and causing an unsafe situation. Renee grabs me out of grid, "Ekstrand! I need back-up!" We hustled out to the entrance gate and confronted the crowds. Or I should say Renee confronted the crowds. I stood behind her arms crossed trying to look tough. I think the kids were hoping I was there to protect them from Renee. The wannabe Touge driver had three of the most obnoxious foul mouthed girls with him and Renee really got into it with them. Renee booted them off the base property. They all got in the ITR and of course, the kid has to do an exiting ricer flyby.... He lost control and parked the car in a ditch right in front of us. Just then the airport police pull up and prevent the other kids from helping pull the car out of the ditch. He made the kid call a tow truck and pay to get the car extracted while Renee and I stood by.... Giggling about the "Bitches in Ditches". :lol: }:) :lol:

Then there was all the times she flashed passing drivers on course.... :shock: With Craig going, "Renee, you're going to cause an accident and just what are you going to put on the incident report?" :oops:

Miss you Boom Boom. :cry:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Post by Art Rinner »

What many of you may not know is that if it wasn't for Renee there would be no SCNAX. Back in 2001 in my first year of autocrossing, I joined NO$ and became friends with Renee and Craig. I was crazy for the sport and attended every autocross I could find, BMW, Corvair Club, VW Club, San Diego and LA, anything I could find. I competed int the SD and Atwater NT, El Toro and Atwater Pro and even attended the Nationals only to have 9/11 spoil it for me. I signed up for the novice school that year and this was in the days that you could only stay novice for three events, so by May I was in my normal class in ES. Well it was dominated at the time by Don G. in his CRX and my Automatic Trans Eagle Talon wasn't up to task, so after getting it handed to my by Mark Childs in his Sentra SE-R at the SD NT I went out and bought one and put race tires on it hoping to do better. And in the May event I was lucky enough to have Don get a water bottle stuck under his throttle and I won. The novice school was in July and I signed up for it but was denied entry by our E-Board Chairman at the time because I won an event, Renee and I thought this was BS and she convinced me to attend a board meeting at Speedzone to plead my case to the board, which I did. At that time the E-board meetings were very heavily attended, maybe because the club paid for dinner, and they were very interesting and I started to attend every one as a member.

Those of you who know me know that I can't keep from putting my .02 in and was getting frustrated with the lack of attention my proposals were getting and I expressed my frustration and Renee's comment was "If you want some input then maybe you should start your own Club!" So I did and SCNAX was born, and we can thank Renee for that.

Over the years I became close with Renee and even co-drove the Sentra together. She loved the car so much that she bought the car when I decided to start racing my Z. I will miss her a lot. RIP Renee.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

I first met Renee at Norton AFB. It was a two day drivers school. My very first time and Renee was my instructor. What an experience. I learned all my skills that weekend. Renee didn't give me a chance to do other. :D She always made me feel special, like I was her favorite. But after reading everyone's comments, she made everyone feel that way. I'll miss you.

Steve A.
Stacey Miller
Car#: 115

Post by Stacey Miller »

Its hard to think of just one, so here are a few.

Steve had fallen into this thing called Autocross and convinced me I needed to try it. Well, after a couple of events I decided I needed some sane instruction (i.e. Not from Steve) and I signed up for the ladies school. Rene was my instructor. She made me feel like I could do this and actually be good. After that there was no turning back.

Then, we were on a couple of SNAXS Cup teams together. Us girls had a blast betting up on the guys.

Finally, I remember how great she was with Robert. Like she did with the Berry's kids before us, she would watch him (along with the Jardines) so we could race. Whenever Robert would see her, he would yell "MONSTER!!!!" and give her a big hug. Not quite sure how the nickname started, but it always made Rene laugh.

Goodbye Monster. Make sure those Angles keep their flying speed down to 5 mph in the pits!
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Short, but sweet. At the No$ event this year, I designed the course (my first) and Renee was the event chair. I think she knew I was nervous about it. During the driver's meeting she dragged me out of the motor home and told everybody, "This is Mark DeShon. He has worked very hard to put together the course this weekend. If you like it, come see him. If you don't like it, come see me." :lol:
Mark D.
P.S. I'm loving this thread. It's kinda like making up for the good times that I wasn't around for. Wish I could've known you longer, Renee.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

I was a Junior at CSUSB in 1990. I was walking from one of my classes in the "condos" to the library when I heard, "Hey! Come here!" There's Renee draggin' on a heater outside of a classroom. "You run autocross events at Lion Country Safari, huh?" I had done a few events at that point and I had seen Renee but never met her. We started talking and we would chat whenever we saw each other on campus from that point on.

When I came back to Solo in 2003, the first person I saw when I showed up to Hollywood Park was Renee working gate. It was like being back home...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
John Kestler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 20

Post by John Kestler »

Renee was one of those people you never forget from the moment you meet her.
I met her when I started road racing with Calclub and she would work the grid. I always got along with her great but I knew that anyone could be walking the thin line. I knew how to keep my mouth shut.
I met her again at CSCC a few years after quitting racing for a spell. She remembered me right away and asked where I had been and why I was there and not road racing. Again she was great, but I saw some newbies really take a tongue lashing every now and then.
The last time I saw her was at Buttonwillow and she was working grid. She was already having some health problems but it didn't seem to slow her down at all. Craig had already passed. She saw me and right away gave me a great big hug.
She made an impact on everyone's life in SCCA.
I will always miss seeing you on grid. RIP Renee.
Gayle Jardine
Club Representative
Club: TCC
Car#: 89

Post by Gayle Jardine »

Last Saturday about 100-120 people gathered together to celebrate Renee Angel's life. There was alot of laughing and hugging and maybe a few tears. Many of the people in attendance haven't been together since Craig's passing 3.5 years ago or more. Many faces haven't changed over the years and it was great seeing those in attendance. The memorial slide show that was shown at the solo awards banquet was shown with some additional shots of the "Honor Lap" from last weekend's club race. Everyone had a great time! Thank you to Laurie Angel and the family for organizing this wonderful get-together. Renee's sister, Michelle, and her family were also in attendance along with the Angel clan and many, many racers from way back when Renee started - 1981, both solo and club racers. If you missed it, you missed a great celebration!
Vince Rinner
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 41

Post by Vince Rinner »

I see so many stories about Renee that start off with “When I first started auto crossing…”, I think that says a lot about how much she contributed to us newbies sticking with the sport. Well…my story starts off the same. When I first started auto crossing I had only attended a couple of events and for some stupid reason decided I needed a dedicated car for my addiction. I went out and bought a car that was used in club racing and it already had a set of numbers on the car. The number was 41. When I showed up for my first event in the new car I had to apply for a points card and Renee asked me what number I wanted and me being a newb I didn’t understand that low car numbers were difficult to get so I said 41. She kind of smirked and looked up who 41 was assigned to and said, “aw hell, that guy never shows up any more, it’s yours!” She literally gave me my number.