Cracquisition

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Cracquisition

Post by Kurt Rahn »

One of the main things we use it for during an event is to determine whether to use 3rd gear. For instance, on my first run on Sunday, I went to 3rd twice and we then looked at the data to see the terminal speed I reached when i did that. It showed that by the time I shifted, I got no faster than just banging away on the limiter in 2nd!
Yeah I noticed, and remarked to a few people, that your car in particular (not sure who was driving) seemed to spend a lot of time on the limiter. I know what you mean about shift points seeming to be right before slaloms or other slowdowns. Out of curiosity, is changing gear ratios legal in autoX?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Out of curiosity, is changing gear ratios legal in autoX?
Only if you have a TSB for a "tow package" :thumbup:
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

How about heartrate displayed on the virtual dashboard?
The true test is whether it can monitor sphincter tightness.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Curt Luther wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:Out of curiosity, is changing gear ratios legal in autoX?
Only if you have a TSB for a "tow package" :thumbup:
:lol:
Jason Flores
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 886

Post by Jason Flores »

Jason Flores wrote:what was everyones top speed on the downhills and the uphills on sunday....ill post mine in a few hours when i get home...but it would be interesting to know
Top speed on the 1st downhill with the opening slalom to the tight "3 cone" turn around (55mph)
Top speed on the last hill before the finish (52.7mph)

anyone else? sure felt faster in the car then 50mph!!!
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Jason Flores wrote:
Top speed on the 1st downhill with the opening slalom to the tight "3 cone" turn around (55mph)

54mph everywhere :cry:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jason Flores

Post by Jason Flores »

Max Hayter wrote:
Jason Flores wrote:

really...wow..i thought your top speed would be much more
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Jason Flores wrote:
Max Hayter wrote:
Jason Flores wrote:

really...wow..i thought your top speed would be much more
He gets to 54mph immediately though, whereas your hamsters have to get prodded for a while before they get going. ;)
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Max Hayter wrote:One of the main things we use it for during an event is to determine whether to use 3rd gear. For instance, on my first run on Sunday, I went to 3rd twice and we then looked at the data to see the terminal speed I reached when i did that. It showed that by the time I shifted, I got no faster than just banging away on the limiter in 2nd!
Have you considered shifting to third early in situations where you know you'll be riding the limiter in 2nd gear to avoid rapid fire up/down shifts? That's probably worth logging on a straightaway test on a back street just to see how much full throttle distance you need to make a 2-3-2 shift worth it - both for early and late upshifts.

Data Rules.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Will Kalman wrote:
Have you considered shifting to third early in situations where you know you'll be riding the limiter in 2nd gear to avoid rapid fire up/down shifts? That's probably worth logging on a straightaway test on a back street just to see how much full throttle distance you need to make a 2-3-2 shift worth it - both for early and late upshifts.

Data Rules.
Yes, I short shift quite often to avoid having to shift in a slalom. With the course last weekend, you were coming out of relatively tight corners accelerating into a slalom, while turning still and that made the short shift tricky because as soon as you shifted, the car shot off line.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Michael Heinitz
Car#: 73

Post by Michael Heinitz »

Jason Flores wrote:
Jason Flores wrote:what was everyones top speed on the downhills and the uphills on sunday....ill post mine in a few hours when i get home...but it would be interesting to know

Per MaxQData
1st downhill 52.6mph
Last downhill 52.7 mph
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I bought a DL-1 today. Don't tell Stacey.

I think it will be a real key to taking Stacey to the next level to challenge for a National championship. And she'll need to keep improving because I think Shauna is really going to enjoy the Civie. Katie isn't going to know what hit her come September. And Julie Avard has NEVER had a solid two days against her. STSL is going to be a war. Fun stuff.

I've been out all day so haven't had a chance to review top speeds in the civie. I think we got pretty close to 60.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

In the tight scary little S after the first 90 degree lefter 56.5

At the top of the course and the first down hill 56.5 again in both

On the bending left in the middle of the course after the pin turn around 54

Last up the hill a touch over 51

Last down the hill 57

Finish line 50.

85 ft lbs of axle sparing torque.

So much for gaining 500rpm on the new motor, I haven't used it yet.

I was most surprised that I couldn't gain any speed in the open little slalom up the hill after the S. I guess the little lift in the S just kills it. And we can't accelerate hills well. I think a better driver would have gotten a higher speed in both downhills. And I don't think I every got the finish turn right so finishline speed is disappointing.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

64.7mph(rev limiter) coming down the hill near the finish.

exceeded 60mph 8 times on course.

and yes it's friday night and i'm looking at data from last weekend still. :ugeek:
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Marshall Grice wrote:64.7mph(rev limiter) coming down the hill near the finish.

exceeded 60mph 8 times on course.

and yes it's friday night and i'm looking at data from last weekend still. :ugeek:

Hmm... My DL1 wasn't working last weekend but I doubt I exceeded 60 8 times... Was on the limiter for a few secs at the finish slalom (~67).

Nice avatar Marshall. Thanks for helping pay for a few of my cars :)
Jason Flores

Post by Jason Flores »

Jason Flores wrote:

Let update for comparison..DL1 and MaxQ are both GPS based systems right...so we should both get the same margin of error

n the tight scary little S after the first 90 degree lefter 50.3

At the top of the course and the first down hill 51.1 then 55.0

On the bending left in the middle of the course after the pin turn around 48.5

Last up the hill a touch over 47.4

Last down the hill 52.7

Finish line 46.5
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

I can not believe it, I have every run logged on my computer for over a year from my Performance Box. Last Sunday I was too lazy to go out to the motorhome and get the damn thing and now we have all this discussion on relative speeds and I have no DATA---- :cry:

Don
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Jason Flores wrote:
Let update for comparison..DL1 and MaxQ are both GPS based systems right...so we should both get the same margin of error
Depends on which version of the maxQ or DL1 you have, newer maxQ's have 10hz gps units so they update 10 times a second vs all the older ones that only have 5hz units. The DL1 allows you to wire it into the car so Marshall's speeds could be GPS or wheel speeds, I think it uses a 5hz GPS. Computers can interpolate pretty well these days though.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

From the DL1 FAQ----

How often do you get GPS position updates?

The GPS system calculates position every 200ms (5 Hz), however this data is combined with the data from the accelerometers to calculate position 100 times every second with very high accuracy.

How accurately is speed measured?

With average GPS reception, speed accuracy is about 0.1mph (or 0.1% if greater) when you are just driving along at fairly constant speed, and about 0.2mph (or 0.1% if greater) during fast accelerations or braking. The only exception is at very low speeds (under 10mph) where the error increases to about 1mph. Do not be fooled by exaggerated claims from other manufacturers… this is as good as it gets! In contrast, a standard wheel speed pickup is only accurate to about 4% at constant speeds, and under high accelerations or braking, the error increases up to about 20%.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:From the DL1 FAQ----

How often do you get GPS position updates?

The GPS system calculates position every 200ms (5 Hz), however this data is combined with the data from the accelerometers to calculate position 100 times every second with very high accuracy.

How accurately is speed measured?

With average GPS reception, speed accuracy is about 0.1mph (or 0.1% if greater) when you are just driving along at fairly constant speed, and about 0.2mph (or 0.1% if greater) during fast accelerations or braking. The only exception is at very low speeds (under 10mph) where the error increases to about 1mph. Do not be fooled by exaggerated claims from other manufacturers… this is as good as it gets! In contrast, a standard wheel speed pickup is only accurate to about 4% at constant speeds, and under high accelerations or braking, the error increases up to about 20%.
Older DL1s are 5hz. Newer ones are 10hz. Supposedly there is very little difference in the accuracy between the 2... 20hz DL1 should be coming soon.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Jason Uyeda wrote: Older DL1s are 5hz. Newer ones are 10hz. Supposedly there is very little difference in the accuracy between the 2... 20hz DL1 should be coming soon.
I've heard that older ones have 10Hz GPS modules and the newer ones have GPS modules that collect raw GPS data at 20Hz. Apparently, the processor in the DL1 can only turn that raw data into coordinates at a 5Hz rate but can directly record Raw GPS data at 20Hz - to be processed on the PC upon loading into Analysis. Also, the 20Hz/Raw GPS processing is an additional license fee.

Regardless, the combination of GPS and accelerometers offers far better accuracy than any system offering only GPS.

Also, my DL1 has a vertical accelerometer unlike some older ones and I hear they are on the verge of issuing DL1's with yaw gyros (I don't know about pricing).

Also, Race Technology is just now completing work on an OBD2 adapter that ostensibly will allow one to log factory ECU data into the DL1. Nice for those of us who don't want to hack into waranteed and/or daily driven cars.
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Will Kalman wrote:
Jason Uyeda wrote: Older DL1s are 5hz. Newer ones are 10hz. Supposedly there is very little difference in the accuracy between the 2... 20hz DL1 should be coming soon.
I've heard that older ones have 10Hz GPS modules and the newer ones have GPS modules that collect raw GPS data at 20Hz. Apparently, the processor in the DL1 can only turn that raw data into coordinates at a 5Hz rate but can directly record Raw GPS data at 20Hz - to be processed on the PC upon loading into Analysis. Also, the 20Hz/Raw GPS processing is an additional license fee.

Regardless, the combination of GPS and accelerometers offers far better accuracy than any system offering only GPS.

Also, my DL1 has a vertical accelerometer unlike some older ones and I hear they are on the verge of issuing DL1's with yaw gyros (I don't know about pricing).

Also, Race Technology is just now completing work on an OBD2 adapter that ostensibly will allow one to log factory ECU data into the DL1. Nice for those of us who don't want to hack into waranteed and/or daily driven cars.
There are at least 4 different DL1s I know of, probably a lot more. My 3yr unit is 5hz, last year they switched them to 10hz (I believe Simanyi's is 10hz) and the newest ones (not sure if they're 5 or 10) will have 20hz capability for raw data and there's a connector switch or 2 in there as well.

The biggest problem with the OBD/CAN adapter will be sampling rates which will likely be nowhere near that the what they'd be if hardwired into the DL1, but it will make swapping them between cars sooo much easier (if you only want simple data, tps, etc).