Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Post Reply
User avatar
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14
Location: Corona del Mar
Contact:

Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bill Schenker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:55 pm

I want to start looking at building up to Big Boy tools and tool chests, as opposed to the "Jr. tool set" I have now.

You'd think with all the work I do on my car I'd have done this years ago :roll:

TIA

Bill
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP

User avatar
George Schilling
Club Representative
Posts: 5125
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66
Location: Lakewood, CA

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by George Schilling » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Bill Schenker wrote:I want to start looking at building up to Big Boy tools and tool chests, as opposed to the "Jr. tool set" I have now.

You'd think with all the work I do on my car I'd have done this years ago :roll:

TIA

Bill
The best sales for Craftsman tools is during tool buying season.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head

User avatar
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705
Location: Costa Mesa

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Tom Tanquary » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:32 pm

George Schilling wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:I want to start looking at building up to Big Boy tools and tool chests, as opposed to the "Jr. tool set" I have now.

You'd think with all the work I do on my car I'd have done this years ago :roll:

TIA

Bill
The best sales for Craftsman tools is during tool buying season.
But you need a license for that, plus a socket stamp.
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "

User avatar
Craig Naylor
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80
Location: Long Beach

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Craig Naylor » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:12 am

Craftsmen tools don't go on sale all that often. The two best bets is on holiday weekends at OSH where they "pay the sales tax", and getting the "value" packages at Sears where they put multiple items together, vs. individually purchasing pieces.

Example on Screwdrivers: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_ ... ckType=L10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a different note, Craftsman tools (non-electric / powered) have a life time warranty. You do not need a receipt to exchange them. The cheapest way to pick them up is to watch garage sales, and take in used /broken tools, and exchange them for brand new pieces. These two ways are how I have amassed most of my Craftsman tools.

Tom Denham
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Tom Denham » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:26 am

Fathers day, Memorial day, Labor day, 4th, black friday, and after Christmas .

Go Poke around on their web site . I saw some larger ball bearing boxes on sale.


http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/c_10155_ ... ol+Storage

User avatar
Mark DeShon
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm
Car#: 113

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Mark DeShon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:48 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned father's day. Sears' Father's Day Sales usually have the biggest and most widespread price cuts on tools. For a couple years now I've saved my tool buttons up until father's day unless I absolutely needed something right now. That doesn't include this year, of course. No tool buttons. :(
Mark D.

Tom Denham
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Tom Denham » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Mark DeShon wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned father's day. Sears' Father's Day Sales usually have the biggest and most widespread price cuts on tools. For a couple years now I've saved my tool buttons up until father's day unless I absolutely needed something right now. That doesn't include this year, of course. No tool buttons. :(
Mark D.
Tom Denham wrote:Fathers day, Memorial day, Labor day, 4th, black friday, and after Christmas .

Go Poke around on their web site . I saw some larger ball bearing boxes on sale.


http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/c_10155_ ... ol+Storage
;)

User avatar
Mark DeShon
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm
Car#: 113

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Mark DeShon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Oops! Sorry, Tom. I'm blind. :?
Mark D.

User avatar
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 7429
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15
Location: This space left intentionally blank
Contact:

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Steve Ekstrand » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:25 pm

For Craftsman tool boxes you pick large stores and watch regularly for their scratch and dent clearances or closeouts.

For Craftsman Tools, Sears sells out Cosmetic blems on ebay.

Its a tool box or a tool.... The more dented and the more blemmed, the better.


If you're really desperate and don't find success on ebay, then join craftsman club and use their ads and specials. Also look for online only specials. You can get free shipping to stores.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600

User avatar
Craig Naylor
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80
Location: Long Beach

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Craig Naylor » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Steve Ekstrand wrote: For Craftsman Tools, Sears sells out Cosmetic blems on ebay.
While quite inexpensive, these are marked as such, and do not come with the Craftsman lifetime warranty. That's why I suggested the garage sale route for blemished and / or cheaper tools, as they can be replaced under the lifetime warranty.

Bob Beamesderfer
Posts: 3376
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: PSCC
Location: Orange
Contact:

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bob Beamesderfer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Craig Naylor wrote:
On a different note, Craftsman tools (non-electric / powered) have a life time warranty. You do not need a receipt to exchange them. The cheapest way to pick them up is to watch garage sales, and take in used /broken tools, and exchange them for brand new pieces. These two ways are how I have amassed most of my Craftsman tools.
Hasn't applied to torque wrenches for over five years. :^(

User avatar
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Rick Brown » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
On a different note, Craftsman tools (non-electric / powered) have a life time warranty. You do not need a receipt to exchange them. The cheapest way to pick them up is to watch garage sales, and take in used /broken tools, and exchange them for brand new pieces. These two ways are how I have amassed most of my Craftsman tools.
Hasn't applied to torque wrenches for over five years. :^(
What if you have an older one that was bought under the lifetime warranty? Mine's over 25 years old. It broke once a long time ago and they repaired it (loaned me one while it was being repaired).
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...

User avatar
Bob Pl
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bob Pl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:13 am

Rick Brown wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
On a different note, Craftsman tools (non-electric / powered) have a life time warranty. You do not need a receipt to exchange them. The cheapest way to pick them up is to watch garage sales, and take in used /broken tools, and exchange them for brand new pieces. These two ways are how I have amassed most of my Craftsman tools.
Hasn't applied to torque wrenches for over five years. :^(
What if you have an older one that was bought under the lifetime warranty? Mine's over 25 years old. It broke once a long time ago and they repaired it (loaned me one while it was being repaired).

The last time I took a broken 3/8 ratchet for exchange (maybe 10 years ago) the dept mgr tried to replace it with a POS China tool. I argued & he finally upgraded it to a decent pro model.

I also had an issue with a floor jack (Craftsman label) about 5 years ago. I took it all the way to the store manager & she gave me a courtesy discount ( a big one) on buying another floor jack.

Bottom line is that Sears "lifetime guarantee" has gone away. They may still advertise it but read the fine print after the asterick. Most of the current employees will give you a blank stare when you walk in with that old broken wrench.

:)

User avatar
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 7429
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15
Location: This space left intentionally blank
Contact:

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Steve Ekstrand » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am

Sears is having a doorbuster sale on Saturday 9:00-1:00. All GearWrench sets are on sale (up to 50% off).

Sears Hardware & Appliance has the Craftsman 8-piece ratcheting wrench sets on sale for $49.99 ($30.00 off regular price).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600

User avatar
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14
Location: Corona del Mar
Contact:

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bill Schenker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'll check it out on Sat., Steve.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP

User avatar
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Marshall Grice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Bob Pl wrote: The last time I took a broken 3/8 ratchet for exchange (maybe 10 years ago) the dept mgr tried to replace it with a POS China tool. I argued & he finally upgraded it to a decent pro model.

I also had an issue with a floor jack (Craftsman label) about 5 years ago. I took it all the way to the store manager & she gave me a courtesy discount ( a big one) on buying another floor jack.

Bottom line is that Sears "lifetime guarantee" has gone away. They may still advertise it but read the fine print after the asterick. Most of the current employees will give you a blank stare when you walk in with that old broken wrench.

:)
I've exchanged broken tools no problems, maybe they just don't like you. ???

User avatar
Bob Pl
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bob Pl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Maybe,

:)

More likely there is a variation in policy/training/quality of employees at different stores. My problems were at the San Diego North County store.

Michael Wood
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Michael Wood » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Bob Pl wrote:Maybe,

:)

More likely there is a variation in policy/training/quality of employees at different stores. My problems were at the San Diego North County store.
Or it might be directly a factor of how many broken tools found at garage sales have been dumped on them... :lol:

User avatar
Kristoffer Gjevre
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: No$
Location: SoCal

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 pm

I have replaced some screw drivers in the past, but it has been a while...
There is some noise if you google about rusty items not exchangeable from a few years back, but they do state this (and no mention of rust here):

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155 ... ?adCell=WF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (as accessed from a link on their main page)
8. - Evolv Hand Tools
FOR AS LONG AS IT IS USED from the date of purchase, this Craftsman Evolv hand tool is warranted against defects in material and workmanship. With proof of purchase, a defective product will be replaced free of charge. This warranty does not cover expendable parts that can wear out from normal use within the warranty period.
WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

10. - All Other Hand Tools
If this Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.
WARRANTY SERVICE
To obtain warranty coverage, return the product to the retailer from which it was purchased for free repair or replacement if repair is unavailable.

Stanley Kowalski
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:40 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 377
Location: 7633 cypress ave riverside ca 92503
Contact:

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Stanley Kowalski » Tue May 01, 2012 11:03 am

hello bill this is stan we have been buying tools from crafsman direct we have a catalog which we order from and anyone can the priceing is far cheaper than buying from the stores

User avatar
Kristoffer Gjevre
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: No$
Location: SoCal

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre » Wed May 02, 2012 11:20 am

Stanley Kowalski wrote:hello bill this is stan we have been buying tools from crafsman direct we have a catalog which we order from and anyone can the priceing is far cheaper than buying from the stores
I got a 191 page Craftsman catalog in the mail yesterday, but I doubt that the prices in it are any different then the web site or the store, not that I have check on it yet. Are you referring to some other kind of Craftsman catalog, perhaps one for businesses instead of consumers, or?

User avatar
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 1386
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: No$
Car#: 69
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Q V » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:12 pm

If you're still looking for tools, the Craftsman Father's Day sales are beginning: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/302152

update: craftsman 26" rolling drawers: http://slickdeals.net/f/4715534-Craftsm ... ore-Pickup

User avatar
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 1681
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14
Location: Corona del Mar
Contact:

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Bill Schenker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks, QV! Just ordered some combo wrenches.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP

User avatar
Mark DeShon
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm
Car#: 113

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by Mark DeShon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Just picked up a 12 pc set of deep impact sockets at OSH for $50! Normally $80 at Sears.
I'm Stoked because I've needed these for forever.
Mark D.

User avatar
George Schilling
Club Representative
Posts: 5125
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66
Location: Lakewood, CA

Re: Is there a "season" when Craftsmen tools go on big sale?

Post by George Schilling » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Was at Costco yesterday and saw a very nice Craftsman starter kit for $80. Appeared to be a very nice set, plastic carrying case included. This was the store in Los Alamitos. Didn't see it at my normal store in Lakewood.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head

Post Reply