First time Saturday Noob..the good and the bad

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Alexander

First time Saturday Noob..the good and the bad

Post by Steve Alexander »

Saturday was my first time at a Solo practice. Generally I had a great time, learned some things about my car, from some experienced drivers, and learned some things about how things work in this organization. It didn't start out so well though. I showed up, not knowing if my car would be allowed to run that day, since I did not get on the sign-up list for some reason; I do believe my check was received on time. When I arrived in the morning, I did not see my driver in the pits, so I got in line to find out what I needed to do next. Mr Christopher only told me to stand off to the side and wait, so I did. After awhile I got tired of waiting, and I had things to do, like unload and my car and change wheels, but I didn't want to do all that if I was not going to be able to run. I went back to the pits to look for my driver, then back to see Mr Christopher; I told him that I just wanted to know if my car was goiing to be allowed to run. Again, he told me to stand aside and wait, while he continued to process other drivers. So I waited some more, Meanwhile my driver showed up; he had been out walking the course with his friend. They got in line, neither had bothered to pre-register or pre-pay, and both were quickly processed through. I was pretty steamed, to say the least, but at least I finally knew that my car would be allowed to run. So, other than Mr Christopher, everyone was very friendly and helpful.
I looked up Mako, and he offered me a ride in his Z06. I was amazed at the power and grip, and had no clue which way he was going to turn next; the cones were just a blur, as I banged around in the passenger seat, unable to anticipate the corners. Sebastian R. gave me a ride too, in his 89 Civic; it seemed like a considerably slower and less violent run, and I was able to see most of the turns coming. The strange part was that Sebastians run was actually about 2 seconds quicker, even with obviously less traction and power! Haven't quite figured that one out yet; even though the Vett is a bigger car, taking up more space on course, the Vett felt much faster to me.
I started my driver out on the street tires, which are 10" Yokohama DOT-R specs. He had never driven an autocross event before, but had some track-day experience and mainly drag racing with 5.0 Mustangs. I asked him to start out easy, to get the feel of the Mini and the layout of the course, which he did, then proceeded to knock off several seconds each run. After switching to the slicks, he ended up with a best run in the 65s, which I thought was very good, considering it was quicker than the other experienced drivers that tried my car. I wanted to give Sebastian another go at it, before the day was over, and he was able to get permission for an extra (13th) run. Since the tires had cooled down while waiting, I suggested we take it through the slalom course and skid pad first, before making the last run. After a few times around the pad, it looked like the front tires were pushing really bad; and Sebastian pulled up to me stating the same opinion; I looked down and saw that the L/f was flat....on further inspection, both fronts were worn clear through the cords. I remembered Don S. saying earlier "those old slicks are so hard, they will last forever". So, Sebastian had to hike back to the pits and bring my street tires and floor jack back in his truck. I owe you one Sebastian, or maybe two, considering your wife's not being so happy with you going MIA.
So, looking back, even though I completely wore out a pair of tires, busted off a fender flare, and the Dis at the sign-up table, I had a great time, made some friends, and was able to drive my Mini home. I still can't figure out how the Civics, with about half the power and 600 pounds heavier than my car, can still go 4 to 5 seconds quicker. I would expect it to be the other way round. I am guessing/hoping that it is 75% in my crappy tires and the rest in driver experience. New tires are on order. :thumbup:
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: First time Saturday Noob..the good and the bad

Post by Max Hayter »

Mr. Christopher is a right sod, is he not }:)
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Had you stayed to talk, I could have explained what was happening. Yet once again, you simply attack people who try to help you.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kurt Williams
Car#: 219

Post by Kurt Williams »

You are fortunate it was KJ at registration , one of the most amiable and helpful people in Solo2.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You learned that smooth, ie. Seb, is faster then an exuberantly driven Vette! The narrowness of the Civic helps in AX, but being smooth, practiced and talented trumps power every time.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mako Koiwai wrote:You learned that smooth, ie. Seb, is faster then an exuberantly driven Vette! The narrowness of the Civic helps in AX, but being smooth, practiced and talented trumps power every time.
Plus the STC cars are about as well-developed and prepped as any other platform in autocross, and they drive like they're on rails.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Smooth...Ha! I just get lucky with well timed yanks and stomps every now and then.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

You witnessed the presence of god's chariot. LOL }:)
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Alexander wrote: So, other than Mr Christopher, everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Mr. Alexander: For reference, I'm the one you took exception to when I referred to your Mini as "cute". Later, when I referred to it as "badass" you were much happier. Loved the "Actual Size" decal. My suggestion would be to sleep on the overall experience and come back with fresh tires, etc.

BTW, had you been there on Sunday, there was ANOTHER vintage Mini that showed up. Beautiful paint and set-up. Unfortunately, I think it broke after only completing a run or two. It was teal colored. Maybe you know of it. We don't see many vintage Minis, and to see two in one weekend was kind of cool.

As for "Mr. Christopher", that's kind of like "your car is cute". He goes by "K.J." After awhile, he will grow on you. Don't ask me how I know. Hey, there are days when I have issues with several here. Then, at a next event, we hang out. It's a great group. Come back.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Steve Alexander

Mr Christopher, or KJ, you treated me like I was a dog. No explanation of why or how long I had to stand there and wait. I even tried to talk to you later in the morning, and you made no attempt to explain what the problem was. I never attacked anybody on this board or at the event, and I was not attacking you at all; instead stating the facts, using my best restraint, as I am now. I assumed that, from what others said and your failure to answer my questions on this board, that My check had been torn up and I had little chance of Driving in your event. If I did not live so close to the event, I would not have even showed up. All I wanted to know when I saw you at the processing table, was to confirm my entry status one way or the other. I had no plans for driving, as I stated before, that I had someone else for that. As it turned out he showed up anyway with another friends car, and got signed up with no questions asked, using my check, which you apparantly still had not torn up, and that, with a more than full pre-registration list! You remind me of several cops I know.....double standards with the power to enforce your will. Well, I don't like being jerked around.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Steve Alexander wrote: All I wanted to know when I saw you at the processing table, was to confirm my entry status one way or the other. I had no plans for driving, as I stated before, that I had someone else for that.
You're not making sense Steve. You went thru multiple steps (sending in a check, not making the pre-entry cut, then show up hoping for a standby slot) to get into the practice that you weren't planning on driving.

By having you wait KJ was giving you a chance to get into the practice. Early in the morning when trying to get a standby slot in a practice registration has only two answers, wait or no. Seems strange that you would complain when given the preferred answer....
Steve Alexander

Sorry,I thought I had made it clear; maybe you didn't see my earlier posts, regarding registration issues. I signed up my car, (to be driven by someone else). I sent in my check 4 days before the list was supposedly closed to new entries. I did not get on the list for unknown reasons, while others that sent checks later than me, did get on the list. Finally, after asking what had become of my check, and receiving no answer, I showed up at the event, got in line, and was told to "Wait over there; I want to talk to you" I waited for a reasonable length of time but had other things to do, so I left for awhile, then came back later and told KJ that I just wanted to find out if my car was going to be able to run; he did not say anything about there not being any openings available, or give any indication how long I was supposed to stand there. There obviously was room for more entries, as My friend, who never pre-registered or sent in a check, was processed through, while I was standing there, without having to wait like I did. All KJ had to do was tell me if my check had been destroyed, why I was waiting, and what he wanted to talk to me about, but I suspect that he had decided I was not qualified to participate as a driver and was trying to discourage me, in which case he should have said so and I would have understood, and reminded him I was not planning to drive. When he finally realized that My friend was driving my car, he quickly changed his tune, and signed him up, producing my Check, which had not been torn up. I managed to put that business aside and enjoyed the rest of the day, I posted here and above, not really expecting an apology, but maybe more to get KJ to think twice about treating people poorly.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Steve,

Much of what you've written in your posts suggests you may be a safety concern, not only for yourself but for workers on course. Given that we had an unusually narrow space to work with for the course, workers were positioned in a constricted space which increases our - the region's executive officers' - concerns for safety.

Moreover entry to this event is not on a first-come, first-served basis. The factors were listed on Motosportreg and included participation in the upcoming Pro Solo event, among others.

With the heavy concentration of the course, high participation due to the upcoming National events and your self-proclaimed multitude of reasons why you have problems getting around a course, do you *really* not understand why the Registrar might want to have a word with you?

And as someone so concerned about being treated nicely, do you *really* not understand why that shouldn't happen publicly, in front of a large line of people?

Please understand that we work hard to put on the best solo events in the nation and welcome everyone, but we do have high safety standards that we will not compromise. If that doesn't present an opportunity that works for you, we understand our form of Motorsport isn't for everyone and thank you for trying it out. If you happened to enjoy your time with us, feel free to join us again, but please cease your agenda against the organizers.

Mike
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Alexander wrote: So, looking back, even though I completely wore out a pair of tires, busted off a fender flare, and the Dis at the sign-up table, I had a great time, made some friends, and was able to drive my Mini home.
Steve: Isn't this the bottom line? Many people have reached out to you, both here and in person; myself included. You DO have a gripe, maybe justified, maybe not. But you need to get over it. Things will go better next time if everyone does their part. But I'm with Mike on this one, it's time to move on. Please join us again when you're ready...or not. In the meantime, you've made your point.

I hope to see you out there again.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata