SK changes?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chad Mizner

SK changes?

Post by Chad Mizner »

just read the change for 2013 on 180 treadwear for RT.

curious if you guys will be discussing any changes to your SK class definitions.

we (phx region) (i.e. me) might recommend some restructuring of our SK classes (we have SK1 for all stock class cars and SK2 for all non Street Touring non stock class cars).

off the top of my head, we could split up our SK1 into RTF/RTR/RTA and specify 180 to match and leave our SK2 alone with the 140 or ???

again just curious if you guys (and SD) will be considering changes...

thx!
Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Re: SK changes?

Post by Davin Swanson »

I'd like to know this as well. I don't have any insight into the e-board's discussions, although I would hope that if there were changes in the works it would be discussed with the class competitors beforehand.

I would personally like to see things locally lined up with the national supplemental classes... replace SK1 and SK2 with RTR, RTA and RTF. Alternatively, we could just go with a ProSolo-esque RT and lump everyone together. That would make for a huge class, but have you seen STR recently?? :mrgreen: This, of course, also hinges on what's going to happen nationally... if the RTx experiment fizzles out in the next year or so then why bother. I'm sure some of the locals have some insight into where that might be headed.

Either way, even if we keep SK1/SK2 as is for next year (which I figure will likely happen), the local supps should be updated to reflect the 180 treadwear rule.
Chad Mizner

Post by Chad Mizner »

FYI, sd thread:

http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/showthread. ... 80-UTQG%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phx thread:

http://www.azsolo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Personally, I would like to see our local SK* classes eliminated in favor of matching up with the National RT* classes for consistency's sake, though I suspect that RTR will be the more popular of the three resultant classes. The move to 180 treadwear only affects three tire models, though I do understand there are some who may not be able to afford the move immediately.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Morgan Trotter
Club: PSCC
Car#: 61

Post by Morgan Trotter »

anyone that cant afford to buy another set of tires before 1/1/13 can simply run in CST. problem solved.
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

I think RT is gaining in popularity, and we should change our SK1/2 classes to mirror the National ones. That way it would be easier when a tour/divisional/super regional is factored in for points, Rick/Christine would have a lot of work to do if we kept SK1/2.
It would also make it more fair should we run into a day where it rains, and the AWD/FWD cars in SK gain the advantage.
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Yeah !!!!!The beginning of the R compound ban-age :heyes:

Just kidding Folks :!:

I like running in SK2.
But i agree with James, we should mirror the National classes, in order to get more drivers to participate at the National level.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I don't like the current way the classes are split (by drivetrain or all lumped together) at the national level, but that's another letter to the SEB. Given that they're going to continue offering the RT classes for another year, and its popularity so far (I was just in Farmington and it was the second biggest class, behind STR), I think we should adopt the RT nomenclature and ruleset. And this is coming from someone running on UTOQ 140 Hankooks.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Fastrack has been updated.

1. Effective 1/1/2013, after consideration of the member input the SEB has amended the specifications for the Road Tire
supplemental classes such that the minimum treadwear rating is 180, (7918,7945, 7953, 7986, 7995, 8004, 8014, 8020,
8026, 8030, 8032, 8051, 8083, 8100, 8115, 8214, 8283). The SEB believes that a higher treadwear rating for RT than for
ST is consistent with the differences in levels of preparation.

We should probably adapt to national rules, but not until next year.
Ira Cruz
Club: No$
Car#: 789

Post by Ira Cruz »

I think the cal club format is fun!
Yes it will be hard for scoring when we have the super regional, but only once a year.
It doesn't rain much in socal.
RTA is dead in socal!

National board is the one that has to make a lot of changes if they want people to still go to nats!
Street prepared and prepared is dying. I can see that happening in stock too!
National board should not rely on indexes for RT classes. Cars evolve quickly and the board is too slow to make changes.

Keep it same for SK1 & 2 for 2013!

Cheers!
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Ira Cruz wrote:RTA is dead in socal!
Shhhh! Don't let Tom D. hear you! Image
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Ira Cruz wrote:RTA is dead in socal!
Shhhh! Don't let Tom D. hear you! Image

Lol , Maybe i should cancel my SK2 order with Jay.

KSA-FTW is the class i will be running.
Tom Denham

Post by Tom Denham »

Ira Cruz wrote:I think the cal club format is fun!
RTA is dead in socal!

Cheers!
I have been thinking about the above, There are 3 in SK1, 1 in SK2, and two novices that will be in RTA next year and this is just in our region, during the last two events. That is a full class at the N.T. The Super regional had a total of 6 entries for the weekend.

The Scca is giving us what we screamed for , a stock class at the national level with out the R=compounds.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ed should be very happy!
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Tom Denham wrote: I have been thinking about the above, There are 3 in SK1, 1 in SK2, and two novices that will be in RTA next year and this is just in our region, during the last two events. That is a full class at the N.T. The Super regional had a total of 6 entries for the weekend.

The Scca is giving us what we screamed for , a stock class at the national level with out the R=compounds.
Plus, Ken Lord is buying a WRX... not sure if he's going to keep it in RTA or go into ST classes. Maybe you guys could convince him to stay in RTA.... it's cheaper :D
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I'm pretty sure he said SK1
Ira Cruz
Car#: 789

Post by Ira Cruz »

Not dead at all!! But isn't the current sk1 & sk2 more exciting?!

In the few events I have joined sk1 you never know who might win. 10 + entries per event so far with a wide variety of cars. Class leaders in sk1 & 2 have been paying more attention. You never know who will win. The index factor on sk1 & sk2 are closer/competitive than RT.

Too late now we are switching scca style.

CST seems exciting!!

Cheers!
Ken Lord
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

I will be in RTA :P
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

Ira Cruz wrote:Not dead at all!! But isn't the current sk1 & sk2 more exciting?!

In the few events I have joined sk1 you never know who might win. 10 + entries per event so far with a wide variety of cars. Class leaders in sk1 & 2 have been paying more attention. You never know who will win.!
I love being in SK class. It's cheap and really competitive. We don't PAX in overall very well but look at how close most of the field is - especially the last event. We're the grassroots of grassroots racing. Vincent has child seats in his sedan!!!!!!!! It just feels more like run-what-ya-brung than any other class and a lot closer to street-level racing with your friends. It's a hoot. We'll see how the new classes make it feel. But it'll still be fun.

t
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

It's ironic that by getting what I wanted at the national level, I'm screwed at the local level. I hope somebody...anybody...decides to play in RTF next year. I guess I can run in CST too if nobody shows up, but that would be a bummer after having so much fun in sk2.
Last edited by Kurt Rahn on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Ira Cruz wrote:Not dead at all!! But isn't the current sk1 & sk2 more exciting?!

In the few events I have joined sk1 you never know who might win. 10 + entries per event so far with a wide variety of cars. Class leaders in sk1 & 2 have been paying more attention. You never know who will win. The index factor on sk1 & sk2 are closer/competitive than RT.

Too late now we are switching scca style.

CST seems exciting!!

Cheers!
You guys should be in good shape. It's the Fs that are weak.
==============
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tom Tanquary wrote:

In the few events I have joined sk1 you never know who might win. 10 + entries per event so far with a wide variety of cars. Class leaders in sk1 & 2 have been paying more attention. You never know who will win.!
I love being in SK class. It's cheap and really competitive. We don't PAX in overall very well but look at how close most of the field is - especially the last event. We're the grassroots of grassroots racing. Vincent has child seats in his sedan!!!!!!!! It just feels more like run-what-ya-brung than any other class and a lot closer to street-level racing with your friends. It's a hoot. We'll see how the new classes make it feel. But it'll still be fun.

t
You guys should be great...SK1 plus the CS miatae and RX8s. Very competitive. If I could afford it, I'd buy a RWD car now.
==============
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

C5 Z06 can't play in RTR, right?
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Mako Koiwai wrote:C5 Z06 can't play in RTR, right?
Of course it can. Treadwear minimum 180. Stock preparation rules. Go for it.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

John Stimson wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:C5 Z06 can't play in RTR, right?
Of course it can. Treadwear minimum 180. Stock preparation rules. Go for it.
Exactly. If you're stock class eligible, you're good to go on the right tires.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins