STX E36 question

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Morgan Trotter
Club: PSCC
Car#: 61

STX E36 question

Post by Morgan Trotter »

For those of you that know about the E36 I was wondering why the 325is is preferred over the later 328is.
I can't find any weight difference to speak of and the 328 has the ZF transmission that has proven more stout though that might be a source of extra weight. Your thoughts?
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Re: STX E36 question

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Morgan Trotter wrote:For those of you that know about the E36 I was wondering why the 325is is preferred over the later 328is.
I can't find any weight difference to speak of and the 328 has the ZF transmission that has proven more stout though that might be a source of extra weight. Your thoughts?
Look at the actual gearing. The 325 has a slight edge which helps it get off of slow corners. When I drove both I found the 325 much more drivable, with the added tq of the 328 it was hard not to haze the rear tires. :thumbup:
Morgan Trotter

Post by Morgan Trotter »

325is final drive 3.15 328is final drive 2.93
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Morgan Trotter wrote:For those of you that know about the E36 I was wondering why the 325is is preferred over the later 328is.
Look at the actual gearing. The 325 has a slight edge which helps it get off of slow corners. When I drove both I found the 325 much more drivable, with the added tq of the 328 it was hard not to haze the rear tires. :thumbup:
so wait, you're saying the smaller engine has shorter gearing which is a benefit because it doesn't have enough power and at the same time the bigger engine has too much power even though it has taller gearing and that is a negative?
Jason Isley BS RX8

Morgan Trotter wrote:325is final drive 3.15 328is final drive 2.93
I believe the trans ratios are also different.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Marshall Grice wrote:
Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
so wait, you're saying the smaller engine has shorter gearing which is a benefit because it doesn't have enough power and at the same time the bigger engine has too much power even though it has taller gearing and that is a negative?
Yes. The 325 had the right balance of power and gearing, while the 328 just wanted to overpower the tires.
Morgan Trotter

Post by Morgan Trotter »

325is E36 Coupe Manual 1st 4.23, 2nd 2.52, 3rd 1.66, 4th 1.22, 5th 1.00, reverse 4.04, final drive 3.15, redline 6500
328is E36 Coupe Manual 1st 4.2, 2nd 2.49, 3rd 1.66, 4th 1.24, 5th 1.00, reverse 3.89, final drive 2.93, redline 6500
Tom Berry
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

You might want to re-check your weight info.
Morgan Trotter

Post by Morgan Trotter »

yeah. its a little more of a weight difference that I had previously thought it was. Im finding that the coupe has a more ridgid chasis as well. Rumor had it that the weight was the same. I found the coupe to be 1 pound lighter. ha ha .
Morgan Trotter

Post by Morgan Trotter »

to clairify, the 325 is quite a bit lighter. I dont know what I was thinking about before. I think i fould some wrong numbers.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Best friend had a 325is on a lease and was always traveling so never got to the mile limit... I'd, uhm... use his miles for him... :D

He replaced the 325is after two years with an absolutely identically equipped 328is. Even the same color and interior. Both manuals...

In nearly direct canyon comparisons I thought the 325is felt like it handled AND accelerated better. He was disappointed with the 328is because he assumed it would be better. I never got the overpower the tires sensation in the 328is.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I've been pondering this same question lately. The 328s are heavier, but not by as much as some people make it seem. And if Derek Punch isn't playing games with me, he's pushing 40 more hp than the most powerful STX 325s in the country(pretty impressive for 300 extra CCs). Having ridden shotgun in his car once, I tend to believe it. I would have to do more research in regards to whether the power is in the right place, but it's something I am planning to look into. However, keep in mind. Horsepower helps you in a strait line. Light weight helps you everywhere.
Mark D.
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: ...with the added tq of the 328 it was hard not to haze the rear tires. :thumbup:
:?
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Morgan Trotter wrote: Im finding that the coupe has a more ridgid chasis as well.
I was told the added B pillar made the sedan stiffer...
Morgan Trotter

Post by Morgan Trotter »

Eric, that's what I previously read but found some other much older data. Who know what to believe?
Jason Isley BS RX8

Mark DeShon wrote:
I've been pondering this same question lately. The 328s are heavier, but not by as much as some people make it seem. And if Derek Punch isn't playing games with me, he's pushing 40 more hp than the most powerful STX 325s in the country(pretty impressive for 300 extra CCs). Having ridden shotgun in his car once, I tend to believe it. I would have to do more research in regards to whether the power is in the right place, but it's something I am planning to look into. However, keep in mind. Horsepower helps you in a strait line. Light weight helps you everywhere.
Mark D.
Having driven Derek's car I found it much more difficult to drive than the 325 in STX trim, it was easy to overpower the tires on corner exit, where the 325 just trucked along smoothly. I find drive-ability much more important than overall speed in an event where you only get three runs.

Its not unlike the L98/LT1/LT4 C4 Corvettes, they all make great power, but differently, and gives an edge to certain combinations.
Brian Peters

Post by Brian Peters »

Jason, I'd say that's a tuning issue. A *properly* working diff (and suspension setup) should allow you to put the 328's power advantage to use.

-Signed Mr. I really want to build a 350z for STR
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: Having driven Derek's car I found it much more difficult to drive than the 325 in STX trim, it was easy to overpower the tires on corner exit, where the 325 just trucked along smoothly. I find drive-ability much more important than overall speed in an event where you only get three runs.

Its not unlike the L98/LT1/LT4 C4 Corvettes, they all make great power, but differently, and gives an edge to certain combinations.
I think it's tough to make a blanket statement about the engines like that without considering any other factors, namely rear alignment and lateral load transfer distribution. It's very possible that Derek likes his car setup that way and who ever owned the 325 didn't.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Marshall Grice wrote: I think it's tough to make a blanket statement about the engines like that without considering any other factors, namely rear alignment and lateral load transfer distribution. It's very possible that Derek likes his car setup that way and who ever owned the 325 didn't.
Setup would certainly always be a consideration. But the question was a pretty general why is the 325 preferred over the 328, this was my opinion from having driven examples of both.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Brian Peters wrote:Jason, I'd say that's a tuning issue. A *properly* working diff (and suspension setup) should allow you to put the 328's power advantage to use.

-Signed Mr. I really want to build a 350z for STR
That is possible... But gearing and weight could overcome that tq advantage, and judging by the results of the two cars that is often the case.
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: it was easy to overpower the tires on corner exit, where the 325 just trucked along smoothly.
If only there were some type of "throttling" device that would allow you to reduce the power output when necessary while still allowing greater power to be delivered when it could be applied..... Maybe actuated through a "skill" type interface.... }:)
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

If only there were some type of "throttling" device that would allow you to reduce the power output when necessary while still allowing greater power to be delivered when it could be applied..... Maybe actuated through a "skill" type interface...
My vote for the best motorsports board post of the year!
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Will Kalman wrote:
Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: it was easy to overpower the tires on corner exit, where the 325 just trucked along smoothly.
If only there were some type of "throttling" device that would allow you to reduce the power output when necessary while still allowing greater power to be delivered when it could be applied..... Maybe actuated through a "skill" type interface.... }:)
LOL
I wasn't ballzy enough to go there.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Will Kalman wrote:
If only. Perhaps you and Marshall will finally figure out how to make yours work this year. ;)
Morgan Trotter

Post by Morgan Trotter »

That stings