End Link Question ...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

End Link Question ...

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Reconnecting the sway bars after corner balancing. In order to re-attach the rear end links to that there is no pre-load, I find that on the Right hand side I get binding unless I bottom mount the top of the end link. I'm thinking this might change the leverage on the bar and in this case slightly reduce the sway bar force? Yes ... No ?
Attachments
Left Sway mount.jpg
Left Sway mount.jpg (216.13 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Right Sway.jpg
Right Sway.jpg (232.65 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Re: End Link Question ...

Post by Ed Holley »

Could your bar have shifted (slid) left to right/right to left a tad? Otherwise, I think the endlinks should be installed as if the car is on a level surface, which you can do by putting the same height of blocks, etc. under the wheels to get it up in the air but have the wheels, shocks, etc. as if on the ground. No?
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yup, car is sitting on ramps with all of it's weight present. Could try shifting bar to the left ... so that the angle works better on the right, so I can go back to top (outside) mounting it on top.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Thanks Ed ... that did it. Both endlinks are now mounted to the outside with no binding. :thumbup:

Think it's time to stop ...
Attachments
50 50.jpg
50 50.jpg (393.71 KiB) Viewed 7556 times
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

I can't really see the geometry of the bar ends from the picture, but it seems like the way you mount the endlinks would change the leverage for twisting the bar. As a rough estimate of how much, measure the distance from the center of the endlink bushing to the axis of the actual swaybar. If this changes between the two configurations then you're changing the leverage on the bar.

Seems like you want the same leverage on both sides. Otherwise, when you go over a bump with both wheels, it will twist the bar and transfer some suspension force from one side of the car to the other. Normally, on a both-wheel bump, the bar should MOVE, but not TWIST.

sc
John Coffey
Club: PSCC
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Seems like you want the same leverage on both sides. Otherwise, when you go over a bump with both wheels, it will twist the bar and transfer some suspension force from one side of the car to the other. Normally, on a both-wheel bump, the bar should MOVE, but not TWIST.
Years ago I spent an hour on the phone with Carroll Smith discussing exactly this. His opinion was that it doesn't matter on a race car. You will never hit the exact same size bump at the exact same time with both front or rear wheels on a race track at a place on the track that matters. And even if you did, the rate delta between the sides would be insignificant.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

John Coffey wrote:
Years ago I spent an hour on the phone with Carroll Smith discussing exactly this. His opinion was that it doesn't matter on a race car. You will never hit the exact same size bump at the exact same time with both front or rear wheels on a race track at a place on the track that matters. And even if you did, the rate delta between the sides would be insignificant.
You've got one critical flaw with you reasoning. Under braking you will get substantial parallel wheel travel and get diagonal weight transfer with non equal sway bar arms usually right at turn in. Whether its significant or not is a different question.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

You've got one critical flaw with you reasoning. Under braking you will get substantial parallel wheel travel and get diagonal weight transfer with non equal sway bar arms usually right at turn in. Whether its significant or not is a different question.
We discussed that and came to the conclusion that, unless the sway bar ends are a locating link in the suspension or you get bind, the bar is just a spring with the load spread (mostly) evenly on both sides. In my discussion with Carroll we were using a total suspension travel of 2" as the basis. The bind issue would be my big concern with end links that are not in the same plane or angles.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Marshall is right in the case of an asymmetric arm length or motion ratio between the two sides. For an asymmetric endlink mounting angle but using symmetric holes, I'd say that you will end up with the same motion ratio on both sides if the bar end and mounting hole on the arm don't move relative to one another in the same direction as the offset in the position of the endlink joints. Or looking at it another way, if the endlink's two ends move in parallel planes, and the projection of the endlink onto those planes is the same for both sides of the car, then the spring behavior of the swaybar will be the same as if the endlinks were really symmetric. But they do likely produce an asymmetric thrust in the directions that those components are not supposed to move in -- such as the swaybar sliding to one side. You can constrain the bar with a collar next to each bushing, but that will transmit the load onto whatever the bar is mounted to. On a Miata, the stock mounting point is pretty weak to begin with and isn't shaped to resist lateral loads effectively.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Best thing you can do is throw away those RB links and get yourself something with proper rod ends. Those give you all kinds of stiction and binding issues, adding a lot of hysteresis and unpredictability to it's action.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Thanks Steve ... that's what was on the car ... I might actually have some better end links
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Lepper wrote:stiction
I thought you just made this up, but I just looked it up and it's legit. :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Yeah, th RB links might be an improvement over the stock NA rubber links, but they are a downgrade from stock NB. Too long, and the joints are so stiff it's like they aren't really jointed.
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

Yeah. Marshall was right. :mrgreen: