ST tires for 2013?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Coe
Club: CASOC
Car#: 75

ST tires for 2013?

Post by Steve Coe »

I'll assume the 195/50x15 Toyo guys and gals will still use it. I'm hearing about a new Dunlup, but what else is coming out?

Steve
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Re: ST tires for 2013?

Post by Max Hayter »

Steve Coe wrote: what else is coming out?

Steve
Bill Schenker }:)
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

BFG.
Steve Coe

Post by Steve Coe »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:BFG.

Tell me more!

Steve
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Dunlop Direzza Z2 (not labeled star spec)
Bridgestone RE11A
Kumho V720
BFG
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Max Hayter wrote:

Steve
LOL! :lol:
Mark D.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:Dunlop Direzza Z2 (not labeled star spec)
Bridgestone RE11A
Kumho V720
BFG
Is the Kumho 720 a replacement for the 710, or will it be ST-legal with treads and all that stuff?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Kurt Rahn wrote: Is the Kumho 720 a replacement for the 710, or will it be ST-legal with treads and all that stuff?
The 720 is a street tire, just like the 712 and 711.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Max Hayter wrote:

Steve
Hey! Keep that crap for Facebook (where we regularly humiliate you...) :computer:
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Coe

Post by Steve Coe »

Bill Schenker wrote:
Max Hayter wrote:

Steve
Hey! Keep that crap for Facebook (where we regularly humiliate you...) :computer:
I love you guys!!! But not that kind of love.

Steve
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

http://blog.365racing.net/2013/01/22/th ... orts-park/

for the BFG rival. Photo says 200 treadware but article compares them as faster than Rs3's. Interesting
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Prices, sizes and availability :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... orce+Rival" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Well I just picked up a set of z2's for street/backup duty. Wonder how they'll compare to the R1R's, I'm guessing slower but it'll be interesting either way.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Well I just picked up a set of z2's for street/backup duty. Wonder how they'll compare to the R1R's, I'm guessing slower but it'll be interesting either way.
I think that will be really tough to say until someone does some back to back testing. Andy Hollis said the BFG was faster on the track than the Z2, but also added that does not necessarily translate to an autocross.

He is the only one at NOLA who got to drive both tires back to back.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

BFG was a no go for me since my street rims take an annoying size so the Z2 was close enough. Well that and BFG wouldn't sell direct to me, since the tires haven't started production yet.

I'm not convinced it'll outperform the smaller r1r on my ca,r just because of the gear advantage I get with the r1r over anything bfg or dunlop makes. But when someone qualified does some back to back testing we'll get a real answer.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

See Juniors BFG Rival test report ... a few messages down in his facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/MikeJuniorJohnson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byron Goodman
Car#: 757

Post by Byron Goodman »

The Dunlop Direzza ZII is out too. Anyone see any reviews on these? Sadly, it seems the BFGs won't be out in my size for while.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... irezza+ZII

-B
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I'll let you know in a couple of days, my z2's should be shipping today.
Richard Jung
Club: PSCC
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Byron Goodman wrote:The Dunlop Direzza ZII is out too. Anyone see any reviews on these? Sadly, it seems the BFGs won't be out in my size for while.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... irezza+ZII

-B
Review: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... p?ttid=168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the ZII could be .8 sec quicker over a 60sec run, vs. the previous Z1. Wet performance looks good also.

Rick
Julian Manolov
Car#: 2

Post by Julian Manolov »

This is from Andy Hollis on BFG and Z2:
Back from Daytona...sorry for the delay. Working on getting tires to test for GRM, but dates are fluid.

At the launch event, I was the lucky dog. I was there a day early for some on-camera interviews, and while watching the BFG lead test driver gathering on-track comparison data between the Rival and a set of Z2's they had just acquired, I was asked if I wanted a go at it. Hmmm...let me think...yeah, sure ok. :) With only one set on hand, the Z2 was not used in the main event at all.

Preface: Prior to this I had zero on-track time at NOLA and none in an MX5 Cup car. Plus, the car didn't quite fit right (I have short legs). But with the Rivals on the car I came up to speed pretty quickly on the track...or so I thought. Their test driver and I swapped seats and he promptly showed me that I was not pushing the tires nearly enough. There was a whole nuther level that I was not exploring, as I had been backing off when I started to hear some squeal and feel some slip angle build. Turns out, the Rival is a massive talker (like the Kumho XS) and will deliver even when slip angles get quite large. The latter is similar to an R1R, except in the case of the Rival, you aren't destroying the tire as you run that large of an angle.

I then did another 6 laps or so by myself and got to the real limits. For example, 90 mph through the backside esses with total confidence. After that, we swapped to the Z2 and I tried to replicate what i had been doing with the Rival for another 10 laps. First couple of times I turned in, I had to turn right back out again....as first one end, and then other end of the car would get upset. The Z2 is very peaky in its grip delivery versus slip angle, while the Rival has a broad plateau. And with a well-balanced car like the MX5, you have to keep both ends of the car in the narrower band with the Z2 in order to stay at max lateral. That also makes it more setup dependent, whereas the Rival will likely be more setup-agnostic. I never got the car out of sorts with the Rival, but got each end to misbehave with the Z2.

In short, the Rival is a bolt-on-and-go performance enhancer for the "everyman", whereas the Z2 is more of a delicate instrument that can perhaps be careful wielded by a "skilled professional" to great effect. And some of the things that make the Z2 less confidence-inspiring on the track, may actually make it more lively on an autocross course. If you can handle it.

Bottom line: I was a full second faster on the Rival than the Z2 on a 2:08 lap time. And more consistent.

As for heat, discussion with the engineers suggested that the tire did not need a lot of heat to work, yet could tolerate it well. We did overheat a set on the BMW E46's with many back-to-back runs. I was first driver out and got back in later after a couple dozen runs (and smoking brakes) and the car drove nothing like it did earlier.

My takeaway is that BFG built a better RS3. Doesn't need heat to work. Tolerates lots of heat. Will work at least passably in the wet. Wears like iron. Easy to drive. Consistent and confidence inspiring.

Remember when the Kumho V710 first came out? It made heros out of zeroes. The Rival is like that in its driveability, if not in overall grip level.

Oh yeah, and for those claiming the Rival is some sort of cheater r-comp: baloney. Not only does it meet the rules, the 200 treadwear is no joke. The thing wears even better than an RS3 despite being abused. Truly incredible. And when compared on a skid pad to the R1-S r-comp and Comp 2 street tire, it fell much closer in grip to the Comp 2. .95 vs 1.0 vs 1.2g.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Another gave a not quite so glowing report on the Rival ... but only Hollis got to do a direct comparison with a contemporary tire, ie. not the 615's
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Looky what I got :D NC Miata specials aka 225/45/16

These tires look really wide for 225s so I took a tape measure to em just to make sure.