Orange County Great Park

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Michael Wood

Orange County Great Park

Post by Michael Wood »

Hi-

First question: when did El Toro become "Orange County Great Park"? (not that it really matters)

Second: Is there any issue with entry or other for a visiting SCCA Soloist to come down and run with Cal Club at El Toro? Any weekends better than others? Can a visitor run both the practice and points days? (OK, technically that was question 2, 3, 4 and 5)...

I'm thinking it would be fun to run with the SoCal CM folks and it would be great to run at a real site, for a change of pace.

Thanks
Mike
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Orange County Great Park

Post by Rick Brown »

Michael Wood wrote:Hi-

First question: when did El Toro become "Orange County Great Park"? (not that it really matters)
A few years ago. Was supposed to become a park and a bunch of housing but the economy killed most of it, at least for now.
Second: Is there any issue with entry or other for a visiting SCCA Soloist to come down and run with Cal Club at El Toro? Any weekends better than others? Can a visitor run both the practice and points days? (OK, technically that was question 2, 3, 4 and 5)...

I'm thinking it would be fun to run with the SoCal CM folks and it would be great to run at a real site, for a change of pace.

Thanks
Mike
No issue, the site is not that heavily controlled. There is a gate with Irvine Police, but if you know where you are going you don't even have to stop (except for the stop sign), just wave and drive on in. Practices can be a bit harder to get into depending on time of year (like right before the Pro or Nats). Who you know can make a difference ;). No restrictions on Sundays.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Rick Brown wrote:Was supposed to become a park and a bunch of housing but the economy killed most of it, at least for now.
I guess that's one upside to the crappy economy.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Thanks. I will see if I can rally the other couple of CM cars in SFR to come along :)
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Michael Wood wrote:Thanks. I will see if I can rally the other couple of CM cars in SFR to come along :)
That would be great Mike. Come on down!

Are you planning on going to St George in May?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Irvine City Council voted last week to fire the PR firm, change the composition of the board and conduct an audit of the Great Park's books. Could add a few months or more to the life of the site for us.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I used to work with some of the site developers a couple of years back, all I ever heard about that place was how the Irvine residents opposed doing anything with it.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

George Schilling wrote: Are you planning on going to St George in May?
Looks like it was moved to Oct?
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=51267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative

Richard Jung wrote:
George Schilling wrote: Are you planning on going to St George in May?
Looks like it was moved to Oct?
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=51267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a bummer.......cold tires, short days.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

SoloMatters lists it as May. I'll ask them on FB.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

From SoloMatters :

Currently is is planned for May 10-12. However, there may be a site conflict that would push it to October. We are hoping to have this resolved as soon as possible.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

Just a reminder that the first event at El Toro isn't until March, then May thru July.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

George Schilling wrote:
Michael Wood wrote:Thanks. I will see if I can rally the other couple of CM cars in SFR to come along :)
That would be great Mike. Come on down!

Are you planning on going to St George in May?
Not sure about St. George. Not sure about the Match Tour format. I don't buy PAX and that's a long way to tow to be subject to an index.

Other hand, I'd love to take the RV and include a couple of days in Zion, so I may end up going.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Nah you just have to find someone with a good paxing car willing to let someone co-drive :roll:
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

Is RV camping still "no go" at El Toro? I think it was being looked into before the Pro last year, but can't remember if anything happened...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Just hope St. George isn't in October.... All the golf courses are closed in October for overseeding.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Michael Wood wrote:Is RV camping still "no go" at El Toro? I think it was being looked into before the Pro last year, but can't remember if anything happened...
I'm not aware of any changes.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Towers
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

The artiicle in the Register that explained who the new rulers of The Great Park are alluded to (hinted at) having folks deal directly with the city of Irvine for lot rental instead of AMCI. In the same article, the guy that's the new Chair of the Great Park charade also hinted at tearing up the runways so folks would know 'we really are going to build a park". When local politics and outside dollars are in competition it's a crapshoot as to how long anything may take.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Steve Towers wrote:The artiicle in the Register that explained who the new rulers of The Great Park are alluded to (hinted at) having folks deal directly with the city of Irvine for lot rental instead of AMCI. In the same article, the guy that's the new Chair of the Great Park charade also hinted at tearing up the runways so folks would know 'we really are going to build a park". When local politics and outside dollars are in competition it's a crapshoot as to how long anything may take.
Here's a link to the article of which Steve speaks. The gist I get is that things are still very up in the air with no funding eminent. Anyone know this guy who wants to tear up the runways to prove a point?
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

George Schilling wrote:
Steve Towers wrote:The artiicle in the Register that explained who the new rulers of The Great Park are alluded to (hinted at) having folks deal directly with the city of Irvine for lot rental instead of AMCI. In the same article, the guy that's the new Chair of the Great Park charade also hinted at tearing up the runways so folks would know 'we really are going to build a park". When local politics and outside dollars are in competition it's a crapshoot as to how long anything may take.
Here's a link to the article of which Steve speaks. The gist I get is that things are still very up in the air with no funding eminent. Anyone know this guy who wants to tear up the runways to prove a point?
Someone needs to "take care" of him! ;)
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Is he related to Mayor Daly, perhaps?
Steve Towers
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Actually, it was a different article.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/amci ... -park.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative

Steve Towers wrote:Actually, it was a different article.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/amci ... -park.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reading that left me with an empty feeling.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Reply to it ... with reasons why they are lucky to have us!