General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Online Registration - Is it time? SDR Edition

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Hey guys, I'm going to need your help in collecting ideas for a second. I am trying to put together a proposal for Online Pre-registration for the San Diego Region. I've gone through all the possible improvements that the system could bring and of course many are bringing up the downfalls of what it could bring as well (in their opinion).

What problem are we trying to solve? Is there a problem? - Randy Chase

I'd like to hear how CSCC went through this process? Was CSCC reg line in-efficient prior to the days of online registration? (Champ days). Looking for a little history lesson since I haven't been part of CSCC nor SDR (+10yrs ago) for these discussions. Discuss...
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Bobby Beyer

Re: Online Registration - Is it time? SDR Edition

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I run in San Diego semi often, and I would love online registration. The simple fact for me is this, I don't know if I'm going to have competition or if its even going to be a busy event before I drive 1-1.5hrs to run. It gives me a more/less incentive to go since I have to invest at minimum 2 hours of my life just to find out that I have no competition or on the converse I may decide not to go because I assume there will be no competition and that event 5 competitors show up. Plus it give help give the organizers an idea how many people will show up so at the end of the day they don't have to cut runs which has happened on a few occasions.

Not exactly giving you idea on how to fix the problem, but IMHO there is a problem. I think the CSCC system works well enough at least from an outsiders perspective.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Jon, if you want to call me, I'd be happy to answer questions about what we've done and tried. To much to write.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I thought "San Diego" was a Latin phrase meaning "home of the Luddites"???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

I wish you well in the process.

A group of us tried in the late '90's and again in the mid '00's, while also trying to have the region computerize results. We got nowhere. Admittedly, computerization finally won over, as results by hand was a tedious process (the broken part).

I'm going out on a limb here, this issue was NEVER spoken. It is however what I believed we were up against when I was involved, but we never addressed. And... it's why I believe a few clubs just won't vote for doing such even now.

With automated registration, we incurred the exact same answer your getting now. If it's not broke don't fix it. I think the bigger issue of the if it's not broken don't fix it is an unspoken one. For the younger crowd, many of the married people participate solo. (pun intended) This isn't the case for many of the older participants in San Diego. For two clubs this is what the wife's do to participate with their husbands. Take away the current process, and and you take away the social aspect for non competing spouses. Now their sitting around the entire day not racing.

Figure out how to accommodate the social aspect for non-competing spouses and you may have a better shot at adding automated registration.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Craig Naylor wrote:I wish you well in the process.

A group of us tried in the late '90's and again in the mid '00's, while also trying to have the region computerize results. We got nowhere. Admittedly, computerization finally won over, as results by hand was a tedious process (the broken part).

I'm going out on a limb here, this issue was NEVER spoken. It is however what I believed we were up against when I was involved, but we never addressed. And... it's why I believe a few clubs just won't vote for doing such even now.

With automated registration, we incurred the exact same answer your getting now. If it's not broke don't fix it. I think the bigger issue of the if it's not broken don't fix it is an unspoken one. For the younger crowd, many of the married people participate solo. (pun intended) This isn't the case for many of the older participants in San Diego. For two clubs this is what the wife's do to participate with their husbands. Take away the current process, and and you take away the social aspect for non competing spouses. Now their sitting around the entire day not racing.

Figure out how to accommodate the social aspect for non-competing spouses and you may have a better shot at adding automated registration.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Craig Naylor wrote:I wish you well in the process.

Registration itself won't change much. This definitely will need to be handled delicately and in baby steps. The difference would be the elimination of registration cards for those who pre-registered. Registration would have a print out of those who pre-registered and check their name off. These people still have their normal work to do, its just quicker to get people through the line. Then the regular process would in sue (ie. check scca card, solo card, license, collect money, sign up for work). One issue that was brought up about eliminating registration cards was that the tech checklist on the back of the card would still need to be filled out. I agree with Rick Brown in that tech is not rocket science. One does not need a checklist to completely follow nor keep track of cars that are properly tech'd. Hell i don't remember seeing the back of these cards actually being filled out or signed.
"When we quit using cards (although we still do now for walk ups) we don't need cards for tech. Your driver wrist band shows you've registered, what more does tech need to know? If you don't pass you don't get a sticker so you can't run." -Rick Brown
Cliff notes: eliminate registration card for annual members

I spoke with Michael Snare (helps input reg-cards during SCAT events) and agrees that implementing Motorsportreg to cut down on man hours. He said that he would spend a good 4-5 Hours of the morning inputing all the entrants. This could easily cut down man-hours by being able to do so prior to the event using MSR's import/export feature to populate all pre-registered entries(is that how we do it?) with AXware. Since Larry Chan does a huge bulk of the labor each and every event for San Diego, I would assume this is something he would like to see.
Cliff notes: MSR eliminates (for the most part) manual entries into the computer.

Now I am going to be spending time addressing this possibility with the MEMBERS of the region at the registration desk. An easy poll (yes/no) signed survey of whether or not they would like to see this happen. I want the members to be aware of the situation so that when the time comes they can actually put pressure on their club reps to make it happen. Something tells me that a lot of discussions during board meetings are not issues brought up by the membership of each club. The club reps may not want it, but if the members of those clubs want it then it is the club reps duty to follow through accordingly.
Robert Stangarone
Car#: 186

Post by Robert Stangarone »

Jon,

Thank you for taking the gauntlet on this. I'm excited to see it happen.

Bob
RS-R USA | Winmax | Delicious Tuning | CounterSpaceGarage | Raceseng | Cusco L.S.D.
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

I feel this is taken out of context from the 140 comment facebook thread
What problem are we trying to solve? Is there a problem? - Randy Chase
What I said was, that in order to convince the clubs, you have to have a good reason. I do not know why that is so hard to grasp. Step one when making a change like this is to determine what we are fixing. Not just offering solutions to problems, without fully understanding them. It is just crappy engineering otherwise.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Isn't cutting down on labor and time at both sides solving a problem? Giving competitors and operators a good idea of who is going to show up solving a problem?

I don't think anyone is advocating doing things only online, that would be a bad idea, but just having online registration as an option would be so much easier. I don't want to knock anyone but as a newbie running as San Diego is a daunting task, I had to fill out a form I wasn't familiar with pay my money, find Warren who I didn't know and didn't show up at his table for what felt like 30 minutes pay the additional fee to him to get a temp number.

Thinking from a business perspective, that has to be a waste of money to print all those forms and provide all those pens because you're avoiding using computers. Not only that but all the time people waste dealing with taking paper forms and digitizing wouldn't be simpler just to start from a digital form and update the paper copies.

Plus giving competitors more time to get ready in the morning and walk the course would make the event safer and smoother, and that right there is worth all the extra expense.
Warren Leach

Post by Warren Leach »

Bob, everything you describe also happens in LA. Don't make it sound like we have extra hoops for novices, we don't. In fact, a novice can just decide to go, that morning, and not pay a penalty. Instead of me in LA, you have to find Gayle, also in a separate chair. And Bob, you picked me out, by name, for criticism. You damage our Region, by making stuff up, because people read that and may not come to our Region. What did we do to you, or LA, for you want to do that? I am GD offended by that. We gave you a decent event, at a decent price, and you go to another Region website and trash us? And I am not giving you a free ride on that Jon. You certainly knew, or had to of known, how this thread was going to go. There are people who put a lot of work in every Region. Even when they make mistakes, they don't deserve to be called out in public, by name. The same goes for a Region.

Guys, I really hate this. How am I supposed to respond without it seeming like I am trashing LA. And if I do, it will get deleted while the posts about San Diego, and Bob's complete mischaricterazation of our Region will stay. I respect and admire many things LA does. How is this thread even fair to San Diego? Allowing us to be called names by people who don't even attend our events? Nothing like picking a safe place to ask, huh Jon?

Jon is taking a ton of stuff out of context. He mentions Larry uploading, but ignores Rick doing the same in LA. He wants a survey, but one wonders if he will mention to the people in line, there will still be a line if there is online registration, and possibly a penalty if you don't use it. No more spontaneous attending unless you pay more. I think too many Regions use online registration to increase income.

I hate this. Both Regions have pluses and minuses. Neither Regions registration is perfect. Both Regions have the same 'real' problem, which is increasing participation.

At the risk of getting my post deleted I will ask the same question I asked on Facebook...if online registration is so good, how come most Regions have to give a discount to use it?

Last edited by Warren Leach on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

I typed up some thoughts.

http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/showthread. ... istrations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I didn't mean to type your name out as being critical, but to be fair all I have to do for points cards in CC is send an email to Kurt and its taken care of(if I'm a novice I don't need a points card), I don't need to find a specific person or wait for a specific person to get it done. I don't mean to be critical but no system is perfect, there are things about the way Cal club handles registration that I don't like, but the system they chose is quite a bit better than SDR.

Warren you are correct it does happen up here, but since I pre reged someone doesn't need to read my shitty handwritting, ask me for my scca/points cards, make sure they're valid, and then ask me for my money. The process is just longer in SDR than it is in CC, don't get me wrong its a much more welcoming place than CC but there is more hoops to jump through SD even if you don't see it that way. The online process for someone younger, ie me, is an more comfortable process, it doesn't feel like I'm standing in line at the bank, which it kinda does with the way SD handles registration.

I didn't mean for my response to come off as an attack on the way you, or the way your club handles things, but I know if I wake up 30 minutes late, its not going to be a fun or safe event for me. Any time I could save gives me more time to get ready and the registration line is a time waster.
Warren Leach

Post by Warren Leach »

Once again, in order to respond properly, it would seem like I was trashing LA, and I won't do that. I have friends and people whom I have great respect who work hard there. Your assumptions on requirements are filled with errors. One error is you seem to think I have not run in LA, and am not familiar with their systems.

Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Bobby,

What if the proposal was that you could pre-register online. But you still have to pay at the event. And you still have the tech procedure. And if you are new, you still have to see Warren and buy the SCCA weekend or annual membership and get a number card and fill out those forms. And you still have to sign an additonal waiver form (it is the card in San Diego). And you still have to show your drivers license and SCCA card AND number card, just like now.

The only savings in time for this 30 minutes for you... is adding in the address, phone number, and car type to the card. Which I agree is totally silly and I often scribble in nonsense into mine (me.. not making friends with the reg nazis!). :)

So you save writing maybe 10 words on a card. That is all. We still have to have cards in San Diego unless other procedure changes are made.

And the funny thing... a proposal can be made to delete those silly boxes on the cards... so in the end no time was saved.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:
Registration itself won't change much..

Exactly.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Make the card available online. That would fix most of the problems, gets rid of the time I spend waiting for a pen to be available and makes it easier for whoever is performing reg to read my awful handwriting. The only thing it does I can see neg about this is that it removes some of the social aspect of talking with the people who are filling out the form with you.

Warren,
If I am wrong tell me what assumptions of mine are wrong, it doesn't help me to learn if I don't know the correct answer. Well I have half the requirements at the registration desk in LA that I do in SD and the line generally moves faster in LA than it does in SD, I'm going to ASSume that's due to information being prefilled out on a computer but I could be wrong.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Make the card available online. That would fix most of the problems, gets rid of the time I spend waiting for a pen to be available and makes it easier for whoever is performing reg to read my awful handwriting. The only thing it does I can see neg about this is that it removes some of the social aspect of talking with the people who are filling out the form with you.

Warren,
If I am wrong tell me what assumptions of mine are wrong, it doesn't help me to learn if I don't know the correct answer. Well I have half the requirements at the registration desk in LA that I do in SD and the line generally moves faster in LA than it does in SD, I'm going to ASSume that's due to information being prefilled out on a computer but I could be wrong.
I do not think that the prereg is the only variable between San Diego and Los Angeles. Driver's wrist bands? Did you guys adopt those too? Payment is one thing that does add a significant time to the process... but that has nothing to do with the idea of pre-registering. Using some sort of payment system is not trivial for San Diego, please read my novel I typed up on the San Diego forum.

You do list what you perceive as problems to be solved.

1. Waiting for a pen. Well... not to make too light of this. I always bring a pen with me since I am a pen snob and like my gel Pilot precise points if I am going to write. But also the region could just put out more pens.

2. Reading your handwriting. My script is horrific. I was voted most likely to become a doctor and had straight Fs in grade school for penmanship. However, the wonderful thing is, the silly stuff is not really read anyway. So I scribble in the address, phone boxes. Seriously. Nobody has ever said, that is not legible, though I am sure they could not read it.

Problems solved. ;P
Byron Goodman
Car#: 757

Post by Byron Goodman »

You know, it's kind of funny - I was having a similar conversation with my wife yesterday while i was writing a check out for the upcoming practice session in San Diego. It feels strange to snail mail it, too. For all our recurring transactions that we pay every month, including bills, this is the only check that we have to write. We pay everything online.

If SCCA is trying to attract younger people, it follows that the technology that we use (or lack thereof) should also fit within their expectations. Mailing checks and filling out registration cards for every event may not be time consuming, but it is tedious, old school, and easily avoided. Also, I am sure that there is a non-trivial amount of attention required by the person who gets those checks and registrations mailed to them. MotorsportsReg is not my most favorite application, but it does serve some purpose in making registration for events very fast in the LA region (I am looking forward to continue to pay online with my credit card this season :P ).

I liked some of the capabilities that were on display at our ProSolo event. We had barcodes to track drivers and I could look online with my phone to see standings in real time. That is tried and true technology that has been available for years and it made the entire event a bit more fun.

Honestly, if this is a concern about cost, quality, capabilities, etc, of putting an adequate solution in place, then let's talk. I don't have a ton of free time, but perhaps I can volunteer some time to help. I make my living as a software engineering consultant and generally am involved with designing and implementing multi-million dollar systems. I am willing to help the region put something into place that can meet your needs.

Byron
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Randy Chase wrote: I do not think that the prereg is the only variable between San Diego and Los Angeles. Driver's wrist bands? Did you guys adopt those too? Payment is one thing that does add a significant time to the process... but that has nothing to do with the idea of pre-registering. Using some sort of payment system is not trivial for San Diego, please read my novel I typed up on the San Diego forum.

You do list what you perceive as problems to be solved.

1. Waiting for a pen. Well... not to make too light of this. I always bring a pen with me since I am a pen snob and like my gel Pilot precise points if I am going to write. But also the region could just put out more pens.

2. Reading your handwriting. My script is horrific. I was voted most likely to become a doctor and had straight Fs in grade school for penmanship. However, the wonderful thing is, the silly stuff is not really read anyway. So I scribble in the address, phone boxes. Seriously. Nobody has ever said, that is not legible, though I am sure they could not read it.

Problems solved. ;P
Both regions have wrist bands but the SDR ones are of a much higher quality :lol:

I don't think a payment system is the answer, but using paypal or someone of those card scan iphone things with say a $2-$5 surcharge convenience fee for taking plastic might be an option but that's something to look at another time.

1. That would require me to be prepared :lol:

2. I think the solution you listed earlier as getting rid of those boxes would be better, but its more or less meaningless to me to fill the cards out multiple times a year, not to mention multiple times an event just to have x-runs.

Neither of those are reasons not to run at SD but its annoying to do every time I show up.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Byron Goodman wrote:You know, it's kind of funny - I was having a similar conversation with my wife yesterday while i was writing a check out for the upcoming practice session in San Diego. It feels strange to snail mail it, too. For all our recurring transactions that we pay every month, including bills, this is the only check that we have to write. We pay everything online.
This only adds to the confusion. The discussion does not apply to practice events which indeed have this archaic thing called checks and snail mail. That is an entirely different discussion that only seems related.

I do like the point that we should accept other forms of payment than check or cash. Agreed! But that requires an agreement of the member clubs.

Practice days have this routine about fairness to all about how and where the information is posted and then how the entrants are done based on being mailed in. That can (and eventually will) be changed, but that will also take an agreement from the member clubs and not everyone (when it was last discussed) seemed for it.

If we as a region can develop a better process (and it is not just using motorsportreg), than I would love to be involved and use your help Byron.
Last edited by Randy Chase on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Bobby Beyer wrote: Neither of those are reasons not to run at SD but its annoying to do every time I show up.
Understood. My main point through all of this though, is that in order to make a change, one has to make a proposal to the member clubs as to what you want fixed. Again, define the problem. Define the solutions. Define the procedure.

If a proposal was "do this because I find the way you do things annoying..." It does not matter if it is or not annoying... I just do not think the club reps are going to vote yes for that reason. Heck, maybe they will and I am off base. But I know some of them quite well and I think their response will not be positive.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Warren Leach wrote:Bob, everything you describe also happens in LA. Don't make it sound like we have extra hoops for novices, we don't. In fact, a novice can just decide to go, that morning, and not pay a penalty. Instead of me in LA, you have to find Gayle, also in a separate chair. And Bob, you picked me out, by name, for criticism. You damage our Region, by making stuff up, because people read that and may not come to our Region. What did we do to you, or LA, for you want to do that? I am GD offended by that. We gave you a decent event, at a decent price, and you go to another Region website and trash us? And I am not giving you a free ride on that Jon. You certainly knew, or had to of known, how this thread was going to go. There are people who put a lot of work in every Region. Even when they make mistakes, they don't deserve to be called out in public, by name. The same goes for a Region.

Guys, I really hate this. How am I supposed to respond without it seeming like I am trashing LA. And if I do, it will get deleted while the posts about San Diego, and Bob's complete mischaricterazation of our Region will stay. I respect and admire many things LA does. How is this thread even fair to San Diego? Allowing us to be called names by people who don't even attend our events? Nothing like picking a safe place to ask, huh Jon?

Jon is taking a ton of stuff out of context. He mentions Larry uploading, but ignores Rick doing the same in LA. He wants a survey, but one wonders if he will mention to the people in line, there will still be a line if there is online registration, and possibly a penalty if you don't use it. No more spontaneous attending unless you pay more. I think too many Regions use online registration to increase income.

I hate this. Both Regions have pluses and minuses. Neither Regions registration is perfect. Both Regions have the same 'real' problem, which is increasing participation.

At the risk of getting my post deleted I will ask the same question I asked on Facebook...if online registration is so good, how come most Regions have to give a discount to use it?

I posted this thread to gather ideas from the people who obviously went through the same processes to get it. I don't have control over what they say about other regions. In fact I was disappointed in seeing Steve's response because I was looking for more concrete information that would help my cause. I knew this thread was going to have a good debate over the pros/cons of running the system. Why not ask people who currently use it? What did they go through in order to get it? CC and SDR are very similar in how we run events/clubs and I'm sure these very same views may have came up during the process?
Warren Leach

Post by Warren Leach »

Jon,

Imagine if I posted a thread on the San Diego site trying to 'solve' CalClub problems. How would CalClub react? Particularly when I don't run in LA regularly anymore. And people started posting who also don't run in LA, giving opinions and calling names about their Region.

You know how they would react.

There is nothing redeeming or useful about this thread, it's just used as an excuse to trash another Region.

Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

I see your point. That was not my intent and perhaps I should of worded it differently. All I wanted was a little background history from CSCC and how they went about this so that I have more detail and information on what it took to get to where it is now.