1970s AutoX driver ID??

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

peter linsky

1970s AutoX driver ID??

Post by peter linsky »

Help! I am trying to identify the owner of a 1958 Porsche Speedster that was reputedly a TTOD AutoX contender in the San Diego area in the mid to late 1970s. The car was yellow and had Centerline aluminum wheels. It probably ran in an improved or modified class. The owner is said to have been employed at Chick Iverson Porsche in LA. Please check your old results and photos. Any leads to: Peter Linsky in Portland OR. linsky911@comcast.net
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Re: 1970s AutoX driver ID??

Post by David Barrish »

Calling John Ward?
Steve Coe
Club: CASOC
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

try asking here http://www.sdsolo.com/forum/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank Sheffield may know, also known as Frank S on the site

Steve Coe
peter linsky

Post by peter linsky »

Thanks, Steve!
John Ward

Post by John Ward »

I don`t remember off the top of my head....
I might have some old San Diego results in the garage...I`ll look
One thing tho Chick Iverson is and was in Newport Beach, not in L.A.
If this guy worked at Iverson, I`m thinking that he would have run SCCSCC events, not San Diego events, it would have been closer to him.
Steve Coe
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

I started autocrossing er slaloming in 1974. I don't remember the car at all.
The cars that took TTOD back then were Len Cunningham and James Gauthier in Cobras and Jim Heald in and Elan.

Steve
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Did anyone check with John Fendel? He is an unofficial historian. And has a great memory.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
peter linsky

Post by peter linsky »

Thanks, everyone - Does anyone know how to contact John Fendel? If anyone has contact info on suggested sources, please send it to me directly...linsky911@comcast.net

I couldn't find email for Frank Sheffield, so I just sent off a letter this evening.

I last ran a SCCSCC event in 1972 when I lived in Santa Barbara (GSGP at Santa Maria), then moved to Oregon and ran WOWASCC. Did SCCSCC and NCSCC both go away?

PCL
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

peter linsky wrote:Thanks, everyone - Does anyone know how to contact John Fendel? If anyone has contact info on suggested sources, please send it to me directly...linsky911@comcast.net

I couldn't find email for Frank Sheffield, so I just sent off a letter this evening.

I last ran a SCCSCC event in 1972 when I lived in Santa Barbara (GSGP at Santa Maria), then moved to Oregon and ran WOWASCC. Did SCCSCC and NCSCC both go away?

PCL
Near the top of the page, you'll see a link for members. You can find him there and send him a message through the forums.

I'm not sure SCCSCC morphed into what we have today - SoCal Solo II, which is a California not-for-profit corporation that runs the Solo program under sanction of the SCCA in this region. It is certainly different than SCCSCC, but from what I can tell, there is still a lot of DNA left.

We have an event this weekend in Fontana. Why don't you come out and catch up with us? (on edit, just noticed you're in Oregon. You're still welcome to come, but I understand if you choose not to. :lol: )
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rod Bean

Post by Rod Bean »

Oops. I meant to say that San Diego Asebring Drivers (SDAA) was a SCCSCC member in those days, not SCCA.

Rod
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

Help! I am trying to identify the owner of a 1958 Porsche Speedster that was reputedly a TTOD AutoX contender in the San Diego area in the mid to late 1970s. The car was yellow and had Centerline aluminum wheels. It probably ran in an improved or modified class.
I have been gathering old results for CSCC and SCCSCC and scanning them with the intent to eventually post them on this site. Unfortunately I have only scanned results back to 1991. I have most of the results stored somewhere going back to 1978, I just haven't found them yet. Sorry I can't help you yet.
If the car competed only in San Diego, I won't be able to help either. You would have to contact the San Diego folks to see if someone there knows who this is.
As I gather more material, I will keep an eye out for a TTOD Porsche from that time period (results from that period don't give enough detail to tell if the car is a speedster or yellow). If I find something I will contact you. But it may be awhile.
Good luck with your search.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
peter linsky

Post by peter linsky »

Thanks, John - I'm hoping to come up with a period photo of the car soon, and I'll post it if and when that occurs.
John Ward

Post by John Ward »

I don`t know why I didn`t think of this before.
Try calling Gary Emory. Both he and his brother worked at Chick Iversoan back then.
He owns Porsche Parts Obsolete/Emory Motorsports @ 503-835-2300.
I`m assuming that this is your 58 speedster now ?
I`m in the 356 registry, we also have a website that has a forum. You might want to do an inquery there as well.
peter linsky

Post by peter linsky »

John - I have been in touch with Gary about this car (and former owner) and he's drawn a blank. He doesn't recall anyone at Iverson with such a car in the many years that he worked there. This is not my car; I am researching its history for an article that will eventually appear in Excellence magazine. I will raise the question at the 356 Registry site - thanks for the suggestion, and again thanks to all of you who have weighed in. Some things take time!

PCL
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hi Peter,
Here are three people to try: Jerry Becker, Greg Wolkie, and Robbie Robinson. To the best of my knowledge, all go back (well Gregs parents do) to the 70's in San Diego.

Robbie and Greg can be contacted via the SD Solo site at: http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/contacts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robbie is the current Chairman, Greg is the SCCA Rep. I have PM'ed Jerry's email to you. Jerry and his wife, Judy used to run a Manx (or imitation Manx) back in the day. Being of the air-cooled persuasion, they may more likely than others remember the person.

Craig
peter linsky

Post by peter linsky »

Thanks, Craig - I'll try to contact them.

PCL
peter linsky

Post by peter linsky »

Craig - I was unable to open the PM. Would you mind sending that address to me directly at linsky911@comcast.net

Many thanks!

PCL