General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Re: Street

Post by Leonard Cachola »

I think it's funny you guys are talking about indexes when we don't even know if we'll be keeping the indexed street tire stock classes next season.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Leonard Cachola wrote:I think it's funny you guys are talking about indexes when we don't even know if we'll be keeping the indexed street tire stock classes next season.
No matter what National does, we are still free to create any local indexed classes we want.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Leonard Cachola wrote:I think it's funny you guys are talking about indexes when we don't even know if we'll be keeping the indexed street tire stock classes next season.
ProSolo uses RTP now.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Sebastian Rios wrote:ProSolo uses RTP now.
Speaking of ProSolo, I wonder if they're going to continue to separate the 4WD cars from the 2WD cars. If they just duplicate the Street classes, they'll be stuck with the same problem as in previous years (e.g. 4WD cars' overwhelming launch advantage).
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

The 1999 Mazda shows a factory weight of 2299lbs and 14@6,500 rpm 16.4 lbs/hp.
The 2002 Mazda Miata shows a factory weight of 2447 and 142@7,000 rpm. 17.2 lbs/hp.

I am sure options matter, I have to believe the greatest differences are driver.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Arthur Grant wrote:The 1999 Mazda shows a factory weight of 2299lbs and 14@6,500 rpm 16.4 lbs/hp.
The 2002 Mazda Miata shows a factory weight of 2447 and 142@7,000 rpm. 17.2 lbs/hp.

I am sure options matter, I have to believe the greatest differences are driver.
Arthur, my friend, to what are your calculations referencing? Aside from the "1999" horsepower and possibly year typos above, as you have presented them, both are NBs. My portion of the initial discussion had to do with NBs being put into ES to run with NAs. IMHO, that would create a "more than just the driver" situation.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Ed Holley wrote: IMHO, that would create a "more than just the driver" situation.
You do understand ES is a dying class, right? The NEWEST car currently in ES is from 1998. That's 15 years old. Where do you think ES is going to get new blood? Other than the occasional person out there who HAS to have a stock NA Miata, I don't see a lot people clamoring to by used NAs like, say, the new FRS/BRZ in CS. If you want to kill ES completely in a few years, go ahead and limit it to what's currently there. Cars get moved down to slower classes all the time and the NB move SHOULD have happened five years ago when the BS cars moved down to CS. It's a joke the NB has stayed in CS as long as it has.

If anything, Ed, you should have been protesting the R-package 94-97 be moved up a class like what's been proposed with the MSR and ZOK. By moving the NB and the other slower CS cars down, that gives the R-package Miatas competition.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
You do understand ES is a dying class, right? The NEWEST car currently in ES is from 1998. That's 15 years old. Where do you think ES is going to get new blood? Other than the occasional person out there who HAS to have a stock NA Miata, I don't see a lot people clamoring to by used NAs like, say, the new FRS/BRZ in CS. If you want to kill ES completely in a few years, go ahead and limit it to what's currently there. Cars get moved down to slower classes all the time and the NB move SHOULD have happened five years ago when the BS cars moved down to CS. It's a joke the NB has stayed in CS as long as it has.

If anything, Ed, you should have been protesting the R-package 94-97 be moved up a class like what's been proposed with the MSR and ZOK. By moving the NB and the other slower CS cars down, that gives the R-package Miatas competition.
Leonard: I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. And I totally understand the NB/CS classing issue. I was only addressing the general competitiveness between NAs and NBs. Stock NBs are faster, and there is plenty of evidence to prove it. As for WHERE NAs wind up class-wise, who knows? But my personal opinion is that NBs and the others being imported into the class WILL kill the class for NAs. Which is sad because locally, there are are at least five NAs MAKING the class...myself NOT included. Jus say'n. ;)
2001 NB Miata
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

There are some very nice, albeit not cheap, super charging kits out there ... to take your NA to the next level. :D

... as campaigned by Julian M

http://cms.kraftwerksusa.com/id/931/Kra ... rger-Kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cms.kraftwerksusa.com/id/916/Kra ... rger-Kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Tue May 28, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Mako Koiwai wrote:There are some very nice, albeit not cheap, super charging kits out there ... to take your NA to the next level. :D

... as campaigned by Anthony P and Juian M (not sure if they actually have NA's or NB's)

http://cms.kraftwerksusa.com/id/931/Kra ... rger-Kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cms.kraftwerksusa.com/id/916/Kra ... rger-Kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com ... r-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anthony can correct me on this but I'm pretty sure his car is a MSM with a turbo. That being said I hear turbos are the way to go if you don't want heatsoak issues.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

The fast forward S/C is on the cold side of the engine
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I don't think its a hot cold thing, I think its more the intercooler not being able to keep up with the heat the supercharger creates. I know all SC kits for the Mustang had those issues, it was pretty nuts to see the engine temp rise 20 degrees, at the end of WS HTM straight.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

On my WRX I hooked up my rear window sprayer to my IC sprayer ... pretty neat being able to spray with the stalk

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Ed Holley wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:

Leonard: I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. And I totally understand the NB/CS classing issue. I was only addressing the general competitiveness between NAs and NBs. Stock NBs are faster, and there is plenty of evidence to prove it. As for WHERE NAs wind up class-wise, who knows? But my personal opinion is that NBs and the others being imported into the class WILL kill the class for NAs. Which is sad because locally, there are are at least five NAs MAKING the class...myself NOT included. Jus say'n. ;)
What year does HIST start? Perhaps the NA will be the new HIST overdog? hmmm off to the calculator

and yes my car has the factory IHI TURBO.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mako Koiwai wrote:There are some very nice, albeit not cheap, super charging kits out there ... to take your NA to the next level. :D

... as campaigned by Julian M

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. ;)
But it's not likely that I'm going to invest more in a turbo kit than I paid for the whole car. :shock:
2001 NB Miata
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

yup a 1989 will be eligible for hist 2 next year. 25 years old.
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Historic 3: for years 1986 to ?

Historic 2 is 1969 to 1985.

Hitoric 1 is up to 1968.

Someone with a dog in fight needs to take on the new group of gingers.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Anthony Porta wrote:yup a 1989 will be eligible for hist 2 next year. 25 years old.
Except there WAS NO "1989" NA Miata. Although released in the U.S. in 1989, the first Miata was a "1990" model. As for my '95, I guess I'll wait 6 more years to be HISTORIC. Not!!! ;)
2001 NB Miata
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Wow the C4 vette, NA Miata, CRX, and STCivic are all Hist or going to be eligible soon :lol:
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

David Barrish wrote:Historic 3: for years 1986 to ?

Historic 2 is 1969 to 1985.

Hitoric 1 is up to 1968.

Someone with a dog in fight needs to take on the new group of gingers.
Gingers? WTF is a "ginger"? :roll:
2001 NB Miata
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Ed Holley wrote:
Anthony Porta wrote:yup a 1989 will be eligible for hist 2 next year. 25 years old.
Except there WAS NO "1989" NA Miata. Although released in the U.S. in 1989, the first Miata was a "1990" model. As for my '95, I guess I'll wait 6 more years to be HISTORIC. Not!!! ;)

Buy the supercharger and run the car in CST, power makes everything better }:)
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Wow the C4 vette, NA Miata, CRX, and STCivic are all Hist or going to be eligible soon :lol:
And as soon as we figure out WTF a "Yaris" is, it's gonna be "HISTORIC" as well. :evil:
2001 NB Miata
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Image
1) Where do you find these replies?
2) What the name of the folder in which these are saved. haha
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvR9trqU0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;