Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

User avatar
Randy Gonzalez
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 8:12 pm
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Randy Gonzalez » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm

David Watson wrote:This should be a "sticky".


This thread may be a bit outdated. We currently allow passengers on competition runs with no penalty. Bring a friend. Bring Tom Berry. It doesn't matter anymore. Our general sentiment is that locally we do want to keep the "fun factor" up as high as possible. Passengers (even expert instructors) aren't really helping or creating a competitive advantage for those at the pointy end of the spear anyway.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/

User avatar
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82
Location: WeHo
Contact:

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Leonard Cachola » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

As Randy said, passengers are allowed now, though competitors must have completed their competition runs before riding along.
~Leonard Cachola
PORTFOLIO: http://lcachola.com; WEBCOMICS: http://www.inniesandoutties.com
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator

User avatar
David Watson
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Azusa, CA

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby David Watson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Umm, does that mean the entirety of the original post is invalid, or that getting someone experienced to ride along is "fat chance, fat boy." I was told that being a noob passenger with a vet driving would be unlikely on Sundays. To my eyes Randy just posted something similar to George's original post here, in the event length poll thread. If not, don't mind me, I will keep trying to reg for Sats.
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:

User avatar
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82
Location: WeHo
Contact:

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Leonard Cachola » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Not sure where the misunderstanding is.
~Leonard Cachola
PORTFOLIO: http://lcachola.com; WEBCOMICS: http://www.inniesandoutties.com
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator

User avatar
George Schilling
Club Representative
Posts: 5100
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66
Location: Lakewood, CA

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby George Schilling » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 pm

David Watson wrote:Umm, does that mean the entirety of the original post is invalid, or that getting someone experienced to ride along is "fat chance, fat boy." I was told that being a noob passenger with a vet driving would be unlikely on Sundays. To my eyes Randy just posted something similar to George's original post here, in the event length poll thread. If not, don't mind me, I will keep trying to reg for Sats.


While some things have changed through the years, everything in the first post is still valid today with no exceptions. So don't be confused David by all the confusion. :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head

User avatar
Rick Brown
Club Representative
Posts: 4742
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Rick Brown » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 pm

George Schilling wrote:
David Watson wrote:Umm, does that mean the entirety of the original post is invalid, or that getting someone experienced to ride along is "fat chance, fat boy." I was told that being a noob passenger with a vet driving would be unlikely on Sundays. To my eyes Randy just posted something similar to George's original post here, in the event length poll thread. If not, don't mind me, I will keep trying to reg for Sats.


While some things have changed through the years, everything in the first post is still valid today with no exceptions. So don't be confused David by all the confusion. :lol:

Still? LOL. But all the 2013 posts in between now make no sense. I'd delete them but I'm not a moderator in this section.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...

User avatar
Ed T
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:16 am
Car#: 711
Location: Aliso Viejo
Contact:

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Ed T » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 pm

David Watson wrote:Umm, does that mean the entirety of the original post is invalid, or that getting someone experienced to ride along is "fat chance, fat boy." I was told that being a noob passenger with a vet driving would be unlikely on Sundays. To my eyes Randy just posted something similar to George's original post here, in the event length poll thread. If not, don't mind me, I will keep trying to reg for Sats.


Sunday runs are competition runs, so for the limited 4 competition runs, it is unlikely a competing driver will want the weight of a passenger in their cars. However, as far as this upcoming weekend goes, the afternoon runs are "fun runs" which do not count towards competition. So for the free fun runs that don't count towards annual points, I suspect that competing drivers would still welcome passengers. Note that this coming weekend's format (morning competition runs and afternoon fun runs) may be temporary depending on turn out. Our usual format is 4 competition runs on Sundays either in the AM or the PM and then pay-to-play additional fun runs.

Bear in mind that on Sundays, you can always drive into the "Instructor Lane" and have an instructor drive your car while you are a passenger. You can always get instructions that way if you are a novice driver.
ES #711 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder

User avatar
Anthony Porta
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Anthony Porta » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Leonard Cachola wrote:As Randy said, passengers are allowed now, though competitors must have completed their competition runs before riding along.


This is not the case. It's your passenger that has to have completed his runs.
http://www.anthonyporta.net SOPAC solo Divisional Coordinator. Register Early for a better chance for your preferred work assignment!

User avatar
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82
Location: WeHo
Contact:

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Leonard Cachola » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am

Anthony Porta wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:As Randy said, passengers are allowed now, though competitors must have completed their competition runs before riding along.


This is not the case. It's your passenger that has to have completed his runs.


You missed the "riding along" part. That implies the competitor is a passenger, not the driver. Just saying the same thing differently.
~Leonard Cachola
PORTFOLIO: http://lcachola.com; WEBCOMICS: http://www.inniesandoutties.com
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator

User avatar
Anthony Porta
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby Anthony Porta » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 am

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Anthony Porta wrote:
Leonard Cachola wrote:As Randy said, passengers are allowed now, though competitors must have completed their competition runs before riding along.


This is not the case. It's your passenger that has to have completed his runs.


You missed the "riding along" part. That implies the competitor is a passenger, not the driver. Just saying the same thing differently.


oops
http://www.anthonyporta.net SOPAC solo Divisional Coordinator. Register Early for a better chance for your preferred work assignment!

User avatar
David Watson
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm
Location: Azusa, CA

Re: Why Get Your Start at Autocross Sunday?

Postby David Watson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Ok, that makes sense! I believe that will be my plan for the 11th; spend the morning in "instructor" lane, and persuade someone to ride with me in the afternoon. Meanwhile, I believe posting that where it is easily found will get you some more new people on Sundays.
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:


Return to “Solo Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests