General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Latest Great Park Developments

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Developer offers to finance, build part of Irvine's Great Park
http://www.latimes.com/business/realest ... 0631.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do we really need more houses ...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Latest Great Park Developments

Post by George Schilling »

So much for the "great park" as promised. Of course that ship sailed long ago.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Yeah, more houses = more traffic. The Great Park will generate the Great Parking Lot on the already over crowded freeways.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

That area is already bad enough with traffic. I can't imagine how bad it'll be after another 13k people move in.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
George Schilling
Club Representative

Notice to young people........don't trust the political elites.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Yeah, I want to live on top of a toxic waste plume...
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Steve Lepper wrote:Yeah, I want to live on top of a toxic waste plume...
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Lets see, if one were to start an add campaign now, ala Larry H Parker, seeding the airways and buses(in both English and Spanish) the crescendo of activity will correspond with the second year the schools are filling with crumb munchers that are having head aces and wheezing.
The Irvine Company has no idea what a PR mess is staring them in the face. But they will just buy more insurance and their counsel will keep the board compliant.

Or, someone will figure out how to get them to understand this is really not a good idea.

Life in the IE has its challenges but no one is in a hurry to turn our retired air bases into houses. Just warehouses.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Great idea! Money for SSP or EM!!!

Contact the Offices of Steven T. Ekstrand, Attorney at Law
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Great idea! Money for SSP or EM!!!

Contact the Offices of Steven T. Ekstrand, Attorney at Law
Shouldn't that be Attorney Teaching Law?
And shouldn't this go to Stacey, isn't she the pit bull?
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

As someone who was actually stationed at El Toro during its most active years, during the Vietnam war, I can tell you it was an extremely active air base catering to all manner of fixed wing aircraft from fighters to full sized transports and cargo aircraft. The entire base was fully utilized, every bit as active as LAX. Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that a significant portion of the base is polluted, particularly the eastern and southern perimeters of the runways.

Nobody seems to be mentioning anything regarding clean-up and without such, David Barish is correct in that there will be lots of indemnity agreements, hold harmless agreements, lots of cancer and lots of lawsuits. ITS IN THE WATER and IN THE SOIL. DUH!!!
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Rick Brown wrote:And shouldn't this go to Stacey, isn't she the pit bull?
It's been nice knowing you, Rick...... }:)
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

You know the place is a Superfund site...
http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9sfdo ... 6170023208

Some interesting graphics and info on this page:
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/09/29 ... -veterans/
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Lepper wrote:You know the place is a Superfund site...
http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9sfdo ... 6170023208

Some interesting graphics and info on this page:
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/09/29 ... -veterans/
When you look at the "plume" graphic in your second link, and superimpose the Great Park's balloon location, it's obvious that ignorance is bliss.
It's also interesting, when you read the article, that there is no indication that the dangerously polluted areas have been "cleaned" and there is a discussion regarding toxic particulates coming to the surface and becoming airborne. This is almost exactly where the present composting facility is located. Wonder where all that compost is going? :roll:
2001 NB Miata
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

http://www.irwd.com/construction/tce-el-toro-facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The linked article is copied below, or you can click the link above for more links to maps and other info.

TCE Cleanup. Get The Facts.

Overview
IRWD continuously monitors the quality of water from its drinking sources. We regularly test our 18 drinking water wells located in Santa Ana, and have never detected TCE in drinking water served to its customers. There are no drinking water wells located in the TCE plume emanating from the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station. Further, in March 2009 the U.S. EPA determined no "potential vapor intrusion problems" exist in Irvine neighborhoods.

Background
In 1985 trichloroethylene, also known as TCE, was found in portions of the groundwater basin beneath the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station and central Irvine. TCE is a volatile organic compound, or VOC, that was widely used as a solvent for aircraft cleaning. Prior to the development of stricter environmental regulations in the mid-1970’s, it was common to dispose of cleaning solvents by simply rinsing off the aircraft and allowing the runoff to run into the ground. As a result of these past disposal practices, a one-by-three mile plume of contamination now extends off the base (see map to right). The contamination is about 150 feet deep beneath the base and 300-700 feet deep in the community area.

Irvine's Drinking Water Is Safe
Drinking water in Irvine has been and continues to be absolutely safe. IRWD’s drinking water meets or exceeds all state and federal water quality requirements. IRWD maintains a state-certified water quality laboratory that performs more than a quarter of a million tests annually on our water supply to ensure that high quality water is monitored and maintained. The plume is several miles from IRWD’s drinking water well field and therefore does not affect IRWD’s drinking water supply.

Cleaning Up The Groundwater
IRWD, the Orange County Water District and the United States Department of the Navy have completed a joint project, the El Toro Groundwater Remediation Project, which is designed to clean up the TCE plume. This project began full operation in January 2007 and pumps water from the plume of TCE contamination. Following treatment to remove the TCE, this water is used only for non-drinking purposes. Each year the El Toro Groundwater Remediation Project provides 1.3 billion gallons of clean water for non-drinking water purposes, which is enough to irrigate 1,300 acres of landscaping. The cleanup of the plume is expected to take approximately 40 years.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Robert Puertas wrote:http://www.irwd.com/construction/tce-el-toro-facts

The linked article is copied below, or you can click the link above for more links to maps and other info.
...The cleanup of the plume is expected to take approximately 40 years.
Thank you Robert! I'm glad we got "the facts". I certainly feel safer knowing that the ga-ment, local AND federal, is hard at work and looking out for us. Maybe I need to learn to drive faster so I minimize the time spent at El Toro...just in case. :twisted:
2001 NB Miata
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Double the houses?!

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-grea ... z2kUP44CHl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative

Mako Koiwai wrote:Double the houses?!

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-grea ... z2kUP44CHl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times........don't trust government!
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Double the houses?!
I dont know how many of you have been there though rush hour (even before the construction), but the traffic is bad, real bad. Once took me 35 minutes to get from south woodbridge to just north of our El Toro entrance.

I can't imaging trying to squeeze another 10,000 cars though in a couple hours time every day.

Jay W
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Welcome to the Los Angelisification of Orange County.

At least you have 8 lane access roads to the freeways and 8-14 lane freeways. Up here we have 2-4 lane access roads, 4-8 lane freeways. At lease your government leaders understand population needs road space to move. Up here were expected to just just sit in traffic, or... stand at bus / light rail stops and spend even more time commuting at the slow speeds/constant stops they make.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Craig Naylor wrote:At lease your government leaders understand population needs road space to move.
Are you kidding me? :P
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

George Schilling wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:At lease your government leaders understand population needs road space to move.
Are you kidding me? :P
LA county basin population far exceeds OC. Freeway lanes in OC far exceed LA. But, they have similar area footprints. Then again you probably don't drive I 5, I 10, I 605 or CA60 through LA county very often, rush hour or not. Case in point I commute to El Toro & Marina Del Ray pretty regularly. Drive to El Toro is 49 Miles, MDR 35 miles. El Toro 1/3 on LA freeways 2/3 on OC freeways. MDR on LA freeways only. If I have to be at either location at either 8 & 9 am, (assuming no accident traffic) ET takes between 45m and 1.5hs. MDR takes between 1.25 hrs and 2.5 hrs, with no rhyme or reason as to why it differs so greatly on any given day.

...and I have timed my drives to MDR many times... I drive nearly 1/3 of the miles on surface streets (signals / stop signs and all), as it can cut at least a 1/2 hr off of the drive any day of the week.

I'm not saying OC is perfect in any way... but I'll take OC freeways over LA freeways any day.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

FivePoints plan was approved with a 3-2 vote last night.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z2lsdQsbYw
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

There goes the neighborhood. :(
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I wonder if AMCI had anyone at the meeting ?