King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Steering Rack R&R or Rebuild? Advice & Shop Suggestion

Post by Michael Palero »

63772271ea0.jpg
63772271ea0.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
Hi Guys,

I have a leaking steering rack on my 92 Nissan 240sx SE.

The SE model is equipped with a faster ratio rack than standard 240sx.
It's leaking out both ends and and it also appears to be leaking where it mates to the steering column.

Never had to rebuild or replace a rack before.
Is it better to get new seals installed or purchase a replacement?

From what I understand, rebuilding can involve replacing the seals to re-finishing the rack internals with chrome and replacing the seals.

I'm hesitant to trade my rack in as there are reports of people with my rack receiving standard units.

What's the better option, and does anyone have a preferred shop to go to?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Steering Rack R&R or Rebuild? Advice & Shop Suggestion

Post by George Schilling »

I was curious Mike, so I called Haps, my local parts store that services the area mechanics these guys have bailed me out on a number or occasions where the mainstream shops couldn't. Their book doesn't show a separate listing for the SE. However, they can send your to the rebuilder and get it back the same day, $213. You will get your same rack and pinion back unless they are worn beyond repair in which case the price increases about $100.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

No advice on shops since I just get remanufactured ones for my 240's (too hard to currently find a faster rack).

FYI, There's no separate listing because it's not the SE model that gives you a faster ratio, it's the HICAS option that gives you the faster ratio (many SE's are not HICAS equipped).

You're not racing your 240, though, just get a standard rack & sell your HICAS to someone who can use it - aka, me!
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:No advice on shops since I just get remanufactured ones for my 240's (too hard to currently find a faster rack).

FYI, There's no separate listing because it's not the SE model that gives you a faster ratio, it's the HICAS option that gives you the faster ratio (many SE's are not HICAS equipped).

You're not racing your 240, though, just get a standard rack & sell your HICAS to someone who can use it - aka, me!
Could potentially be a ST* Build... so it needs to stay how it is. ;)
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Jason Rhoades
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Rhoades »

My car was completely covered underneath from steering rack to back bumper in years of power steering leak.

Naturally, people put PS fluid in these cars, which will leak. The car calls for ATF, which won't (assuming the mechanical components aren't shot).

I'd try flushing the system with ATF and see if you still have a problem. For my '92 SE that did the trick and stopped the leaks, other than a little misting out of the PS reservior cap.

If it already has ATF...time for a rebuild!
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Thanks guys.

George, thanks for the shop suggestion. Do you know if they re-sleeve the racks when rebuilding? I hear the insides get scored from wear and are leaks points after seal replacement.

QV, I'll keep you in mind if I decide I no longer want this bottomless pit of money in my garage. I'll sell you a rack with a free car in that case. :lol: How many 240s do you have??

Jon, pick up yo sweater.

Jason, I currently refill the system with ATF. I didn't know a flush could make it stop leaking altogether! I will try that and report back.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Michael Palero wrote:Thanks guys.

George, thanks for the shop suggestion. Do you know if they re-sleeve the racks when rebuilding? I hear the insides get scored from wear and are leaks points after seal replacement.
Don't know the answer to that Mike. Sorry.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head