Clever ideas for CST?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Clever ideas for CST?

Post by Bill Martin »

I've about had it with the Celica. Even though it's set-up to the national formula, it's soft, squishy and pokey. And the class is going away. And no one else runs it here. I'm washing the dust off the hot-rod Mustang but thinking of building a car for a more popular local class. CST looks like a good home. But it's just a regional class, so don't want to dump a bunch of time or money in it. I'm getting a little long in the tooth for this, and don't enjoy working on cars like I used to.

Who gets the prize (SAIS) for the cheapest, simplest but competitive CST approach? I'm wondering about picking up an LA rice rocket off Craigslist and strapping it to the ground with big tires and gut-buster springs. Something like an old CRX with a V-tec swap. Unfortunately I know nothing of those things, but that's what I've got you for. :thumbup:

Other approaches welcome too.

Thanx, Bill
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Re: Clever ideas for CST?

Post by Bill Schenker »

Paging Robert Puertas!
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Your existing Celica could be a great starting point. Find the parts to create a GT4, and swap that motor in. Then you only need one car for AX & RX.
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Craig Naylor wrote:Your existing Celica could be a great starting point. Find the parts to create a GT4, and swap that motor in. Then you only need one car for AX & RX.

Yeah, I can make the Celica handle, no problem. But a motor swap fails the "easy" part, and probably the "cheap" part too. I'd rather buy something that scoots and then make it corner. Unless someone wants to turbo it for me. :) Oh and by the way, it's also geared wrong. I'm on the rev limiter on most events, and making it a go-fast will move it squarely between 2nd & 3rd.
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Post by Brian Kelly »

Would a fox body with some fat tires and stiff springs fit the formula? I don't know too much about them, but I know they're light (for a mustang), cheap, and can make power with the right engine. The fat tires might drive up the price a bit though. How's the suspension on these things for handling? Anything some new components can fix, or is it too wonky to begin with?

Otherwise, the honda idea sounds good, maybe an FD RX-7 in ST-ish trim but with more power and wider wheels would be a good bet too?
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Just put a set of 195 toyos on the Europa.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

the mustang would have to be faster than cp with street tires to really compete. Start with a sts/str Miata s2000 or stcivic or crx and put wider tires and add power as needed.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Robert Puertas wrote:Just put a set of 195 toyos on the Europa.
Onto which piece? I have quite a few. None very big.
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Bill Martin wrote:
Robert Puertas wrote:Just put a set of 195 toyos on the Europa.
Onto which piece? I have quite a few. None very big.
;-)

How about this:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4145068731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

I was thinking more like this:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ct ... 76322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not ready to buy yet, so it will be gone. But there will be others.
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Bill, you could probably build one of these in a month of weekends:

http://exomotive.com/exocet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Bill Martin wrote:I was thinking more like this:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ct ... 76322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As described in the ad, particularly the engine swap, would that be legal in CST or....?
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Bill Martin wrote:I'd rather buy something that scoots and then make it corner.
Jezz, seems that car in your avitar would have been a good match.

Jay W
Last edited by Jayson Woodruff on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Ed Holley wrote:As described in the ad, particularly the engine swap, would that be legal in CST or....?
Isn't CST run-whatcha-brung with the only restrictions being street legal stuff like wipers & lights, and street tires?

If I actually have to CA smog and register, then I won't do it.
Ken Lord
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

Bill Martin wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:As described in the ad, particularly the engine swap, would that be legal in CST or....?
Isn't CST run-whatcha-brung with the only restrictions being street legal stuff like wipers & lights, and street tires?

If I actually have to CA smog and register, then I won't do it.
Bill - here is the exact rule
CALIFORNIA STREET TOURING (CST): Vehicles eligible for CST must comply with the rules of CSM, with the exception that all of the tires mounted on the car must have a TREADWEAR number of 140 or higher molded by the manufacturer on the sidewall.

CALIFORNIA STREET MODIFIED (CSM):
Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in California, shall be run on DOT approved tires and must meet all SCCA Solo Safety requirements.

It doesn't say it has to be registered in California, just capable of being registered. I'm not sure how one gets around California Smog but then basically every ST car would potentially have the same problem according to SCCA rules and CAT requirements.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Yeah, we should probably get rid of the California part of that rule. Maybe capable of being registered somewhere...
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Thanks guys -- I was aware of the exact wording. But not so much on what it means.

Being capable of being registered implies it will pass smog. But I believe that we don't really require that. I'd hate to buy a car and find out I'm wrong about that.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

"Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in California"

I think the intent of "capable" was a wink wink.... to emissions, as well as to trailer queens that are no longer road registered but... everything else about the car is road legal. In SD the capable wording was a bit closer watched. A few years ago a competitor in their equivalent class was given a bit of a warning for an engine swap... so he went and got it a CARB approval, and re-registered the car as what the motor was, not what the frame was (or something like that).

In reality, whether a trailer queen, or daily driven... a bunch of ST cars definitely don't meet CARB rules, but are registered in CA. I can't see requiring a "run what you brung 'cause it don't fit SCCA classes" to have stricter rule set, than a road worthy SCCA class.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bill Martin wrote:I was thinking more like this:

That's a pretty clean looking CRX rice rocket compared to most out there. Obviously you'd have that motor looked over pretty good to make sure it's not trashed.
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Jayson Woodruff wrote: Jezz, seems that car in your avitar would have been a good match.

Jay W
Maybe so Jay, but I broke it doing your sheet. Mitsubishi said don't do that again. I just keep the avatar for fond memories.

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Somewhere Street Tire!
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Craig Naylor wrote: That's a pretty clean looking CRX rice rocket compared to most out there. Obviously you'd have that motor looked over pretty good to make sure it's not trashed.
Yeah, I don't know if I like the idea of power steering delete on a car I expect to run 8-9" wheels and tires on. But I've got my eye on this really nice turbo Flyin' Miata.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Bill Martin wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote: That's a pretty clean looking CRX rice rocket compared to most out there. Obviously you'd have that motor looked over pretty good to make sure it's not trashed.
Yeah, I don't know if I like the idea of power steering delete on a car I expect to run 8-9" wheels and tires on. But I've got my eye on this really nice turbo Flyin' Miata.
For whatever it's worth, I fired off a "still available?" message regarding that Craigslist CRX. Have not received a response.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Julian Manolov
Car#: 2

Post by Julian Manolov »

Craig Naylor wrote:"Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in California"
When was this added to the rules???!
Few years ago when we had lots of fun in that class the rule was - "you have to be able to drive the car to the closest McDonalds without getting arrested" + R compound tires.
Karl's EVO 7 couldn't be registered in California. It was a car never officially sold in USA. It was trailered, but he had some kind of license plate slapped on it and he could drive it to the McDonalds (since it looked like a street car) thus it was perfectly legal for the class.

Someone please remove that licensed for street use in California thing from the rules ... or at least change it to "licensed for street use somewhere in the world". That's the spirit of CSM.

P.S. Who remembers the sex doll in Bill Hogan's CSM Civic? :)
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

http://www.v8miata.net/v8-miatas-sale-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;