What will be the equivalent of RTR next year?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mihail Milkov

What will be the equivalent of RTR next year?

Post by Mihail Milkov »

So are we running combined street tire classes next year (the equivalents of RTR, RTF, RTA)? Or are we running only individual street tire classes (A-Street, B-Street, C-Street, F-Street, etc)?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mihail
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

Re: What will be the equivalent of RTR next year?

Post by Jeff Stuart »

For the changes that apply nationally, I wrote this to pull all the information into one place: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locally,
SS+AS+BS+FS = S1
CS+DS+ES = S2
GS+HS = S3
*SR are all combined into SR1
as described here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jeff Stuart wrote:For the changes that apply nationally, I wrote this to pull all the information into one place: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locally,
SS+AS+BS+FS = S1
CS+DS+ES = S2
GS+HS = S3
as described here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as what we want on your cars locally, it was decided last night that for Stock classes you just need the stock class letters since all will be combined in SR. For Street classes, just need to add 1,2 or 3 to your Street class. Not sure what will be required at the National level.

Also note that Combined Prep & Mod has been separated to Prep Combined and Mod Combined and only require your base class letters on your car.

However, when registering on MSR, you will still need to pick your indexed class in the first box and your base class in the second box.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mihail Milkov

Post by Mihail Milkov »

Rick Brown wrote:
For Street classes, just need to add 1,2 or 3 to your Street class. Not sure what will be required at the National level.
So if I am running F-Street in S1, my class letters need to read "FS1"?
Mihail Milkov

Post by Mihail Milkov »

Oh, and I read somewhere that next year you can still run 140 treadwear tires in the street classes, but in 2015 you need to have treadwear no less than 200.
What about the Ventus RS-3? Some sizes are listed with a treadwear of 140 and some with a treadwear of 200:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... entus+R-S3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For example, 235/40-18 is treadwear of 200, but 255/35-18 is treadwear of 140. What's going on?
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mihail Milkov wrote:Oh, and I read somewhere that next year you can still run 140 treadwear tires in the street classes, but in 2015 you need to have treadwear no less than 200.
What about the Ventus RS-3? Some sizes are listed with a treadwear of 140 and some with a treadwear of 200:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... entus+R-S3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For example, 235/40-18 is treadwear of 200, but 255/35-18 is treadwear of 140. What's going on?
Hankook "re-evaluated" their treadwear rating for that tire and all new tires they're making have a 200 TW rating instead of 140, despite being the exact same tire.

On TireRack there are two listings for many sizes, as they are trying to get ride of their 140TW inventory. If you find a size that is 140, look down below for the size with a blue dot next to it and that'll be the same size in 200TW. However, it seems that they're discontinuing some other sizes as there is only the 140TW option in many cases.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

It's been a while since I've run on street tires. What would be the tire to have for my S2K in BS.

Want to be prepared.......just in case! }:)
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:It's been a while since I've run on street tires. What would be the tire to have for my S2K in BS.

Want to be prepared.......just in case! }:)
There's no single clear "tire to have" at this point. There are three front runners, for the most part: Star Spec ZII, BFG Rival and the Ventus RS-3. They all seem to work better on some applications than others, so the answer is to really figure it out, you'd have to test them on your car, and/or ask another S2K driver currently driving RT. I've run the RS-3 and the ZII on my car, and I think I'd opt for the ZII if I had to pick between the two, though the choice would be tough. My next set of tires will be the Rival, which has won the recent tests I've seen (though that's never a sure-fire indication). Get back to me in Jan. and I'll tell you how I like them.

Edit: Rival, not Rebel, idiot!
Last edited by Kurt Rahn on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

The Rival works well at El Toro and St. George - not so much anywhere else.

During the colder months, I would stick with the Z2, and have the RS3 as an option for the summer.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Max Hayter wrote:The Rival works well at El Toro and St. George - not so much anywhere else.

During the colder months, I would stick with the Z2, and have the RS3 as an option for the summer.
Max makes a good point: ZIIs suck in the heat and the RS-3s suck in the cold. On RS-3s without a co-driver, my first two—and sometimes three—runs are throw-aways. The ZII needs to be watered down from the first run when it's even moderately hot and if you have a co-driver.... Also, my ZIIs are relatively new so I haven't worn a set down yet, but In two sets of RS-3s, they lose significant grip when they get worn down to about 2/32 or so. Probably heat cycling, since they like to run hot.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Having instructed in an RTR S2K on Z2s at both of the previous 2 events, I can say that it felt pretty darn awesome on those tires.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jeff Stuart wrote:Having instructed in an RTR S2K on Z2s at both of the previous 2 events, I can say that it felt pretty darn awesome on those tires.
What are you going to run on the Z?
==============
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Jeff Stuart wrote:Having instructed in an RTR S2K on Z2s at both of the previous 2 events, I can say that it felt pretty darn awesome on those tires.
Hankooks. Big car, lots of heat to deal with.
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
9 inch wide in front, 10 inch wide in back????

I noticed the New 2015 Wrx comes with 17X8. }:)
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
What size tires were you running and how wide are the wheels? Conventional wisdom dictates the Hankooks like lots I'd camber, and if I remember correctly, mac strut 370z don't have a lot, but your car was quick at the practice.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

James Yom wrote: What size tires were you running and how wide are the wheels? Conventional wisdom dictates the Hankooks like lots I'd camber, and if I remember correctly, mac strut 370z don't have a lot, but your car was quick at the practice.
Double wishbone, not mac strut.

275/35R19 square on 19x9 fronts and 19x10 rears. I think any tire I put on the car would like a lot more camber than I can get... No stock adjustment in the front, and apparently my particular Z has about .5° on the left and .7° on the right. Rears are adjustable from about 1.2° to 2.2°.
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

Ahhh that's right. Double wish with no camber adj. Silly Nissan hahaha. Good driving with the amount of frount camber you got!!!
Mihail Milkov

Post by Mihail Milkov »

Rick Brown wrote:
Jeff Stuart wrote:For the changes that apply nationally, I wrote this to pull all the information into one place: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locally,
SS+AS+BS+FS = S1
CS+DS+ES = S2
GS+HS = S3

As far as what we want on your cars locally, it was decided last night that for Stock classes you just need the stock class letters since all will be combined in SR. For Street classes, just need to add 1,2 or 3 to your Street class. Not sure what will be required at the National level.

Also note that Combined Prep & Mod has been separated to Prep Combined and Mod Combined and only require your base class letters on your car.

However, when registering on MSR, you will still need to pick your indexed class in the first box and your base class in the second box.
Hi guys,

I am about to order class letters for my S2000, so I wanted to double check if anything has changed in the requirements. Do I just need my number (328) followed by BS1?

Thanks,

Mihail
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mihail Milkov wrote:
Hi guys,

I am about to order class letters for my S2000, so I wanted to double check if anything has changed in the requirements. Do I just need my number (328) followed by BS1?

Thanks,

Mihail
Yes.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...