Bob & Patty Tunnell

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Bob & Patty Tunnell

Post by Ed Holley »

Recently included with Sports Car magazine, the SCCA published and included a 70th Anniversary calender celebrating "Heros of the SCCA 2014". For the month of September in that calendar, there is short bio on Bob & Patty Tunnell along with a photo of their solo "AS" (at the time) BMW. It would seem like the photo was taken somewhere around Irwindale. It looks like an airfield.

For those old farts who may have been around when the Tunnells were active, I'm curious to know more about them. From the short bio, their BMW was "transformed" from Stock to Street Prepared to Street Modified, Prepared and Modified.

So who knew them and ran with them? What years were they involved? The article decribes "decades".And where are they now? When did they leave the sport? And what happened to their car? It kind of resembles Simanyi's.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Re: Bob & Patty Tunnell

Post by Eric Clements »

Bob & Patty are still around, they haven't left. They seem to have cut back the chase for championships, not traveling the Solo circuit as much. Missionary work in Afghanistan takes some of their time.

They still have the white M3, it was on display at the Smith Collection for a while.
http://www.bimmerhaus.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

They were down for the pro last year.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Ira Cruz
Car#: 789

Post by Ira Cruz »

They got famous in a stock VW Jetta GLI MK2 (2 dr) that bunny hopped through the slaloms. That car was stolen after or even during an event in San Diego. Was later found near the border I believe and was still campaigned. That car won numerous national titles. Then came the BMW E36. From stock to modified. Bob
started a shop specializing in them. They had a LTW model which they did not butcher when they went to higher classes (thank goodness). They were successful
in the BMW too. Great couple!!
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

When I started this thread, for some reason I thought they were from Cal-Club. But it looks like they are out of Colorado. At least they are these days. I've read over their Bimmerhaus website and Bob's blog pertaining to Afghanistan. I don't know how they have managed to accomplish so much. They DO sound like great people. Can't believe the number of combined championships they have collected. Pretty impressive.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Amazingly friendly and humble and very successful. I should find the video I did of Patty, who didn't know me from Adam at one of my early San Diego National events. She should have headed up Disney Customer Relations!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

They were Cal Club members when they lived in So Cal, Redondo Beach I think. Great couple, always friendly, helpful, and funny, too.

Here's some more info on them at the Bimmerhaus web site:
http://www.bimmerhaus.com/bios.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Without a doubt, Bob and Patty are two of the best people in Solo racing! I have had the honor of getting to know these two pretty well. Raced against Bob in his white M3 at least one year.... and played racquetball with Patty several times in Topeka as a distraction at national. If you get a chance to know either one of them.... take it!
Chris Teague
Club: GRA
Car#: 60

Post by Chris Teague »

Not only Cal Club, but Bob was a GRA member also.
Karl Asseily
Car#: 911

Post by Karl Asseily »

Bob and Patty were big shot back in the late 90s / early-mid 2000s. They are top-notch people. Bob personally taught me a few things about car setup back when I was struggling with my '00 M Coupe. He's a great guy to be around, not to mention extremely serviceable. Patty and Bob always used to have that big smile on their face all the time (that's until I left the country in '05). Big thumbs up to both of them !
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Karl Asseily wrote:...always used to have that big smile on their face all the time (that's until I left the country in '05)
Used to???? What did you do, take their smile with you when you left? }:)
Karl Asseily
Car#: 911

Post by Karl Asseily »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Karl Asseily wrote:...always used to have that big smile on their face all the time (that's until I left the country in '05)
Used to???? What did you do, take their smile with you when you left? }:)
Whoops. reading back what I wrote, that wasn't what I intended to say. I hope you knew that however :)