March FasTrack

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: March FasTrack

Post by Craig Naylor »

KJ Christopher wrote:And I shift an infinite amount of times!
I thought you had a CVT or direct drive. Rather than infinite, wouldn't it actually be zero times?
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Craig Naylor wrote:
I thought you had a CVT or direct drive. Rather than infinite, wouldn't it actually be zero times?
CVT, it is constantly shifting to keep the engine speed at one point for all vehicle speeds.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
CVT, it is constantly shifting to keep the engine speed at one point for all vehicle speeds.
Can you imagine driving that monster if you actually had to shift it. Scary.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Its an attempt to achieve the unachievable.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Ed Holley wrote:
Bobby Beyer wrote:[tinfoil hat]
With the attempted removal or H stock and the semi official removal of STC along with moving of to AS the Solstice moving to BS, and the moving of everything in DS to FS, it almost looks like there is a attempt to kill off the one car classes and diversify competition.
[/tinfoil hat]

Marshall is 100% correct though. People have invested lots of time and money and don't wanna see their "investments" lose anymore value.
"Investment" and "solo competition, racing or motorsports" (pick one) are mutually exclusive terms. And I say that coming from E Stock, which is now E Street where 110 h.p. Miatas compete with 142 h.p. Miatas and 178 h.p. Mazdaspeed Miatas. Ya, I know...it's the driver.
Ed, I like you, but you REALLY need to get your facts straight before you spout off like that.
Steve Lepper

Post by Steve Lepper »

Bobby Beyer wrote:[tinfoil hat]
With the attempted removal or H stock and the semi official removal of STC along with moving of to AS the Solstice moving to BS, and the moving of everything in DS to FS, it almost looks like there is a attempt to kill off the one car classes and diversify competition.
[/tinfoil hat]

Marshall is 100% correct though. People have invested lots of time and money and don't wanna see their "investments" lose anymore value.
No, they moved the Solstice to BS to give the 370Z a place to dominate.
Once we see who on the SEB shows up driving one next year, we will know the guilty party. }:)
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Lepper wrote:
Ed Holley wrote: "Investment" and "solo competition, racing or motorsports" (pick one) are mutually exclusive terms. And I say that coming from E Stock, which is now E Street where 115-128 h.p. Miatas compete with 142 h.p. Miatas and 178 h.p. Mazdaspeed Miatas. Ya, I know...it's the driver.
Ed, I like you, but you REALLY need to get your facts straight before you spout off like that.
Steve, I like you too. But please enlighten me as to which of my words above were not facts.

Since edited above in an effort to be more accurate.
Last edited by Ed Holley on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Craig Naylor on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
I was correcting the "I shift" portion of the statement to be zero, just like any other form of automatic transmission.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Craig Naylor wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote: I thought you had a CVT or direct drive. Rather than infinite, wouldn't it actually be zero times?
I was correcting the "I shift" portion of the statement to be zero, just like any other form of automatic transmission.
Sheesh, Craig. It isn't an automatic transmission. It is black magic. And I control it through mental telepathy. Just like helicopter pilots.
kj
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

KJ Christopher wrote:It isn't an automatic transmission. It is black magic. And I control it through mental telepathy.
Black Magic... stepping quietly away, hoping not to be noticed, nothing to be seen here. AHHHHHH! Run as fast as you can!!!!
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

KJ Christopher wrote:It is black magic.
Ah, that explains the new decal & the reflection in the picture!

Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:It is black magic.
Ah, that explains the new decal & the reflection in the picture!

You ARE good, QV. Way cool!!
2001 NB Miata
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Guys,

The STC / STS thing is a *proposal*. Write in! And I'd suggest specifically mentioning the points noted here: both STS and STC drivers are feeling disenfranchised just by the mere thought of combining them. And point out that each class is among the largest classes at Nationals, Tours, etc. (Make sure you have your numbers right.)

It's certainly not engraved in stone, but if you merely comment here without officially objecting to it, your concerns won't be considered by the STAC and SEB.

http://www.sebscca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Guys,

The STC / STS thing is a *proposal*. Write in! And I'd suggest specifically mentioning the points noted here: both STS and STC drivers are feeling disenfranchised just by the mere thought of combining them. And point out that each class is among the largest classes at Nationals, Tours, etc. (Make sure you have your numbers right.)

It's certainly not engraved in stone, but if you merely comment here without officially objecting to it, your concerns won't be considered by the STAC and SEB.

http://www.sebscca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
From Fastrack...
#12465 STS & STC Combining Proposal
The STAC continues to request member review and feedback regarding the following classing change proposal:
Effective 2015, all cars currently classed in STC will be re-classed to STS.

Mike, for those of us not fully aware, is there somewhere within SCCA, available to members wherein there is some explanation for why these "proposals" even come about? From what little commentary I've seen here on the STS/STC subject, it would appear that opinion is that both of these classes are well attended in their own right and competition is keen in both. So, it raises the question as to why this is even being proposed. Not having a firm grasp on what may be obvious, it would appear that this is more about condensing classes, as opposed to what might be best for the participants.

Frankly, on the one hand, I don't have a dog in this hunt so much since I'm such a back-marker at this point. But on the other hand, seeing that other "proposals" recently have become edict, it certainly makes one pause about whether there will be a place to play and, God forbid, gain competitveness, with a car that, like so many others, I have "invested" in. As an example, I'm out shopping right now for a 99 Miata or 04 Mazdaspeed (ya I know, MSMs suck at AX). Why am I even needing to consider that? My 95 is a great car.

On a completely different subject (maybe), since it appears that NA Miatas are being put out to pasture, and because there are so many of them, why not consideration of a regional Hist3 Miata spec class for NA Miatas? Is that even a possibility?
2001 NB Miata
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Ed,

The combination proposal was first made as the cars in each class run similar times and there was a lot of discussion of people moving on. It was also becoming apparent that parts availability would become an issue. And I'm sure there were other reasons, such as the ability to make a new class if one goes away. This proposal is what Steve refers to when he talks about people being scared out of the class. It didn't pass, due to a great deal of protest from the class members. IIRC, the class size at nationals was about double last year.

Speaking of last year, the STAC continued to monitor the health of each class. STS and STC had started a downward trend in attendance. Some no doubt due to the rumblings of change, as Steve mentions. Others, we know left for other reasons. Regardless, when the numbers for the two classes were reviewed after Nationals 2013, it was the STAC's opinion that both classes were about half the size we wanted for an ST class. So, the obvious answer was to propose the combination again. Keep in mind that the current directive is "no new classes". So there is an cost of having two separate classes of old cars running similar times.

Similar review was done to STUs attendance. That is why the new classes were added - in an attempt to beef up and revitalize STU so it wouldn't have to be addressed in other ways.
kj
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I don't see a point to a letter. The damage is done, both classes were destroyed. There is no way to unring the bell. Don't combine them and both will continue to dwindle. Do combine and we'll end up with a 25 person class at best that will survive til its put out to pasture. STC/STS is dead. The STAC and the SEB will get to play adding weak classes like STF. Civics are the root of all evil and they know it.

I believe the Miatae will have a distinct advantage on 200tw tires in 2015. I don't think the effect of the tire change has been considered at all.

So what am I supposed to say in a letter???? Hey you idiots screwed it all up? And there's no way to fix it.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mark Huffman
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: PSCC
Car#: 195

Post by Mark Huffman »

Steve dump the hon-duh and man up and build a Mod car. This will help you get started.

With that said I have a 2.0 Duratec for sale. I purchased a BRAND NEW crate motor and put all the extra cosworth parts I have accumulated over the years in it.

Manufacturer -Ford
Displacement-2.0
Induction- Cosworth Barrel
Head- Cosworth factory ported
Crank-Cosworth Billet
Connecting Rods- Cosworth
Pistons-Cosworth
Camshafts- Cosworth
ARP Head Bolts
ARP Crank Bolts
Raceline Oil Pan

New wiring harness, flex plate, alternator, etc.

Zero run time on it since assembly.
$12,500 obo
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mark Huffman wrote:Steve dump the hon-duh and man up and build a Mod car. This will help you get started.

With that said I have a 2.0 Duratec for sale.
We have a "For Sale" section for that. Can't you see there is spirited ranting going on here? :thumbup:
2001 NB Miata
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Marshall Grice »

I've always pictured Steve as more of a CP kind of guy.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Marshall Grice wrote:I've always pictured Steve as more of a CP kind of guy.
With the old muscle car sitting at his home, he ought to prep it for CAM and return to his origins.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Problem with CAM and all the Good Guys is that the Corvettes are coming out and they are immediately dusting the best of the pony cars. BP trumps CP....

And the Barracudas big advantage was going to be IRS, 50-50 weight, and 2600lbs. Oops. 3,000lbs min in CAM. Still I'm tempted...
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Marc Leininger
Car#: 411

Post by Marc Leininger »

Ok so take two,

I did this whole number crunching thing and found out some interesting facts about STC and STS and how STF and FRS/BRZ's all play together but my damn browser f*cking logged me out and I lost the whole write up.

But the long and the short of it is that with the help of http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/solo/oldres.html I managed to look back at all the results for the fore mentioned classes and found that the diminishing number directly correlate with the number of new divers in both STF and in STX driving FRSBRZ's. I also noted that up until 2010 Miata's were getting there arse handed to them by about 2 secs in there own class by CRX's and then they finally managed to beat STC cars by a full second and they repeated this in 2011 by a bigger 1.2 secs but in 2012 they fell back behind the CRX's in STS but only by about half a second. And STS did loose to STC by 1.3 secs or so but then in 2013 STS only lost by less than .2s Thats a smaller gap than 1st to 2nd in STC which was 1.1s, soooo......

I came to the conclusion that its that stupid STF (jk)class and those damned FRZ's (jk)that are the problem if we can get rid of them than we can have our classes to ourselves again... that is what everybody wants right?

I don't really care but if the current trend continues than we're not going to have a leg to stand on.

Steve Lepper

Post by Steve Lepper »

Ed Holley wrote:
Steve Lepper wrote:
Ed Holley wrote: "Investment" and "solo competition, racing or motorsports" (pick one) are mutually exclusive terms. And I say that coming from E Stock, which is now E Street where 115-128 h.p. Miatas compete with 142 h.p. Miatas and 178 h.p. Mazdaspeed Miatas. Ya, I know...it's the driver.
Steve, I like you too. But please enlighten me as to which of my words above were not facts.

Since edited above in an effort to be more accurate.

Okay Ed, here you go. Since I have a little bit of experience in this area, let me share some real-world stock chassis dyno numbers with you. These are all stock class legal cars that I have personally tested... in fact, they were all tested on the same dyno at the same facility, so the numbers are very comparable.

NA Miata (1.6): 109 hp.
NA Miata (1.8): 113 hp. (just like yours.)
NB Miata (VVT): 124 hp.

Okay, so where in E street is a 142 hp Miata? Maybe you are referring to rwhp of a a Mazdaspeed, but then where does your 178 hp number come from?

I will agree with you that the Mazdaspeed in that class was a bad decision, but for those of us out west I doubt it will ever be an issue because our courses are so much faster that they will always have the 2nd/3rd gear handicap. In a part of the country where they race on smaller lots, that could be the car to beat.
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

Those were flywheel horsepower figures not rear wheel numbers I believe. At least that sounds familiar to what I have read in brochures before.