March FasTrack

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

March FasTrack

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Full: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... -march.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Solo: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... h-solo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bobby Beyer

Re: March FasTrack

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Goodbye STC.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Morgan Trotter
Club: PSCC
Car#: 61

Post by Morgan Trotter »

STF cant be too far behind
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Put everybody on Cornell 500 Treadwear M&S rated all seasons and we can all run together! Now that's an open class!

But yeah.... The SEB can go commit unmentionable acts upon themselves.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Goodbye STC.
Not really. The Civics will have just come full circle to their original class name. STS - ST - STC - STS. It the second class in the Street Touring category of the NA Miatas that's really being eliminated. STS2 - STS - STgone.
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

The number of cars in EP will be growing.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Not really. The Civics will have just come full circle to their original class name. STS - ST - STC - STS. It the second class in the Street Touring category of the NA Miatas that's really being eliminated. STS2 - STS - STgone.

Not meant as an attack, just stating it looks like the SEB or STAC has made killing STC semi official.
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Historic, welcome to all cars when they become "old"er.
Marc Leininger
Club: No$
Car#: 411

Post by Marc Leininger »

Sooo... STS and STC together... Sounds good to me, the times are so close together I don't think its really a bad deal on a local event. Nationals might get fun, there would be 45 Drivers in that class at NATS next year if it did happen. That's still not as big as STX with 59 Drivers. And the difference in time between STC and STS was 0.129 secs, total for both days! Not a big enough difference to bother me.

Just remember;
Proverbs 27:17 wrote:Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.
I think this has always been a good verse to live by when it comes to racing anyhow. From back in the day I used to race my 01 Tacoma against Doug Teulie and his quick little 1976 VW Scirocco in FSP. He always beat me but I always pushed harder and harder burning the midnight oil altering what I could on the truck to make it faster and reading countless books about driving techniques, and of course listening to all my fellow racers and there wealth of knowledge. But the biggest thing was Proverbs 27:17, I never got discouraged about the numerous losses. Ultimately the last couple of races I managed to get withing a half a second of that blasted VW. And out of all my racing from Mario kart to Motocross its always stood true. :thumbup:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We had those numbers BEFORE the merge rumors started and both classes started bailing.

And in post toyo R1R world my money is on the Miatae.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Marc Leininger wrote:Sooo... STS and STC together... Nationals might get fun, there would be 45 Drivers in that class at NATS next year if it did happen. That's still not as big as STX with 59 Drivers.
As Steve posted they had those numbers before the rumors of combining a few years ago started. I posted the numbers in a prior thread this winter... of the 45 or so Nat classes STC and STS individually were something like the 4th and 6th largest classes this last year. That makes them larger than 40 or so other classes. I think the only larger classes were STX as mentioned above, SS and RTR which is no more. I think most of us in the class believe we both have classes that work, and produce numbers. Why do we need combined? I honestly believe combining therm will produce one class with ~ 30 cars, rather than the ~50 they bring as two classes. So the gamble is... rather than working on the smaller classes directly, you gamble that the runoff from combining a class with move to under-subscribed classes, vs. quitting the sport.

Steve thinks the STC Civics will suffer, I think the Miatas will suffer, were both disenfranchised, how does that build a larger stronger class. It doesn't, er-go the self fulfilling prophecy of declining participation, creating someones impression of needing to combine the classes being the actual cause down the road to potentially do such.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Craig Naylor wrote:As Steve posted they had those numbers before the rumors of combining a few years ago started. I posted the numbers in a prior thread this winter... of the 45 or so Nat classes STC and STS individually were something like the 4th and 6th largest classes this last year. That makes them larger than 40 or so other classes. I think the only larger classes were STX as mentioned above, SS and RTR which is no more. I think most of us in the class believe we both have classes that work, and produce numbers. Why do we need combined? I honestly believe combining therm will produce one class with ~ 30 cars, rather than the ~50 they bring as two classes. So the gamble is... rather than working on the smaller classes directly, you gamble that the runoff from combining a class with move to under-subscribed classes, vs. quitting the sport.

Steve thinks the STC Civics will suffer, I think the Miatas will suffer, were both disenfranchised, how does that build a larger stronger class. It doesn't, er-go the self fulfilling prophecy of declining participation, creating someones impression of needing to combine the classes being the actual cause down the road to potentially do such.
Ya...what Craig said.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Marc Leininger
Car#: 411

Post by Marc Leininger »

Is this more an issue of SOLO2 participation and our smaller turnouts across the country or something else that I'm not clued in on?
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Marc Leininger wrote:Is this more an issue of SOLO2 participation and our smaller turnouts across the country or something else that I'm not clued in on?
in general autox people are spoiled and would rather take their toys and go home than have to play with other kids. It applies across all classes, not just ST.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

[tinfoil hat]
With the attempted removal or H stock and the semi official removal of STC along with moving of to AS the Solstice moving to BS, and the moving of everything in DS to FS, it almost looks like there is a attempt to kill off the one car classes and diversify competition.
[/tinfoil hat]

Marshall is 100% correct though. People have invested lots of time and money and don't wanna see their "investments" lose anymore value.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Bobby Beyer wrote:[tinfoil hat]
With the attempted removal or H stock and the semi official removal of STC along with moving of to AS the Solstice moving to BS, and the moving of everything in DS to FS, it almost looks like there is a attempt to kill off the one car classes and diversify competition.
[/tinfoil hat]

Marshall is 100% correct though. People have invested lots of time and money and don't wanna see their "investments" lose anymore value.
"Investment" and "solo competition, racing or motorsports" (pick one) are mutually exclusive terms. And I say that coming from E Stock, which is now E Street where 110 h.p. Miatas compete with 142 h.p. Miatas and 178 h.p. Mazdaspeed Miatas. Ya, I know...it's the driver.
2001 NB Miata
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Ed Holley wrote:
"Investment" and "solo competition, racing or motorsports" (pick one) are mutually exclusive terms. And I say that coming from E Stock, which is now E Street where 110 h.p. Miatas compete with 142 h.p. Miatas and 178 h.p. Mazdaspeed Miatas. Ya, I know...it's the driver.
Since when is horsepower the only classing criteria? And the 178hp Mazdaspeed is the worst performing (Solo) car of the bunch. :roll:
Brian Peters

Post by Brian Peters »

Isley's wrong, power is everything.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:
Since when is horsepower the only classing criteria? And the 178hp Mazdaspeed is the worst performing (Solo) car of the bunch. :roll:
I would love to KNOW the classing criteria pertaining to these. Is that available somewhere? As for the Mazdaspeed, it's a terrible AX car. But I'd like to have one. :thumbup:
2001 NB Miata
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

2nd gear in the MSM is about 52 mph, which means shifting into 3rd gear, shifting is generally now how you get around a course quickly.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Bobby Beyer wrote:2nd gear in the MSM is about 52 mph, which means shifting into 3rd gear, shifting is generally now how you get around a course quickly.
Ah, that's the excuse I get to use. We use all 6 gears multiple times per lap.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Rick Brown wrote:
Bobby Beyer wrote:2nd gear in the MSM is about 52 mph, which means shifting into 3rd gear, shifting is generally now how you get around a course quickly.
And I shift an infinite amount of times!
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Brian Peters wrote:Isley's wrong, power is everything.
Which Brian will be proving this year by campaigning a Mazdaspeed Miata in ES…

Right?
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Rick Brown wrote:

So how many times do you have to hit the clutch when shifting ;)