ST tires on a light car

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bobby Beyer

ST tires on a light car

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Any of the STS or STC guys have any experience with tires that aren't Toyos or BFG?
Looking for some replacement tires for my Rivals and given Hankook is out of the game currently I'm looking for other options. Anyone have any experience the RE11A or some of the other ST tires?
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: ST tires on a light car

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bobby Beyer wrote:Any of the STS or STC guys have any experience with tires that aren't Toyos or BFG?
Looking for some replacement tires for my Rivals and given Hankook is out of the game currently I'm looking for other options. Anyone have any experience the RE11A or some of the other ST tires?
Still like my Dunlops. I thought you liked them too. Isn't that what I drove your car on last spring? Dunlops had been (haven't followed) the preferred tire on both heavier & wider tired cars. (BMW, WRX etc). If you can use a wider tire than the 195's of the STC/S cars preference, your options open up vs. the Magic (or are they just lemming) Toyo's.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I like the Z2's but I'm not happy with the huge loss of grip when they get near the wear bars. I ran into a similar situation with the Toyos which is why I'm hesitant to go back.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

The 195 Toyo is the only one that works all the way through the tread... 205 and 225's all lose a second a lap right about 3-4/32's. If you can afford to buy new tires more often (I either sold mine at that point or used them for practices) then they work fine up to that point.
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I had the "magic" toyos. This was at qualcomm so its not exactly a good test, but at 1/32 with the R1R I was over a second slower than my 225/45/16 Z2 at nationals last year running back 2 back.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Bobby Beyer wrote:I had the "magic" toyos. This was at qualcomm so its not exactly a good test, but at 1/32 with the R1R I was over a second slower than my 225/45/16 Z2 at nationals last year running back 2 back.
You need full tread to run at Qualcomm. Hoosier or street tire.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

My vote goes for the RE11A. It's better than the RE11. It's close in performance to the R1R and less heat sensitive. Good in the rain as well.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Stephen how do the RE11A wear compared to the R1Rs? Also what size would you recommend 195 or 205?

I'm seriously considering the new Hankook RS3's but don't know if the 195 is better than the 225.
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

RE11A's wear very well. I believe they will wear better than the R1R, but have never gone through a set of Toyos and cannot say for sure. Definitely buy the 205.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jesus Saucedo
Club: No$
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

I'm not sure if you made your purchase yet, but here are my two cents. I'll give you change later. Huh what?

Keep in mind, my skill level is still....lacking.

I've been running the R1Rs for some time. I like them. I'm used to them. A friend wanted me to test out his RE11s (not the RE11A) to see if they were still "good" since he hadn't run them in about a year. So after taking about 10-13 runs (35 second course) on the R1Rs, I switched to the RE11s. I was worried the combination of the 205 size, with the offset of his wheels would cause some rubbing issues. It didn't. The RE11s felt different from the R1Rs. My guess is that I'm just so used to mine, that the RE11s felt weird. I didn't play with pressures much, as I felt I didn't need to. Why? Because right off the bat, the times were very comparable to the times on the R1Rs! In the end, both tires were within 3/10s of a second off each other. I definitely would need to get used to the different feel of the RE11s, if I wanted to go that route.

On a side note, I managed to 3 wheel the civic in a slalom (can't say I've done that before) and had a pretty long 3 wheel action on one of the bigger turns.
Check out the video to see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1HhTpBUoO8
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

glad to see my old car still getting a workout :thumbup:
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Jesus Saucedo