General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Radio Procedures

Post by Max Hayter »

Dear big cheeses,

Something I noticed while announcing on Sunday, and inadvertently while I was running, is that it seems to be becoming common corner station protocol to call in the cone on the car make and color, rather than the number and class. This led to much confusion during the group I was announcing for, with radio workers claiming that they either did not have time to read the numbers, or they just could not read them at all.

When I was running, I was given a cone penalty on my fastest run which was later taken off. When I asked what happened, the cone was called in on a "Blue Subaru", and it was only after Christine decided to question the corner worker further, it was decided it was actually a "Silver Subaru", which was the car running ahead of me.

Can I ask that we start to enforce proper radio protocol, and if the radio stations cannot identify the numbers, that cone penalties called against "I think it was a beige Ford" just be ignored?

I know it is difficult with people working Master radio who have never worked it before, and radio workers who have never done that before either, but championships are decided on less than a second these days.

Yours,
Whiny Limey Bitch!
Last edited by Max Hayter on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Re: Radio Procedures

Post by George Schilling »

Dear Whiny Limey Bitch,

You are absolutely right, this is intolerable. Now that this has been brought to our attention, we'll work to correct this situation.

Regards,

The Big Cheeses
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

This did happen multiple times in the last run group as well. I would try to quiz them on a number when possible. If as master radio if we can't be assured of the number should be not issue the cone or DNF?

I am not sure who is going out on radio these days but if someone new there should be some training on what the job is and how important it is. We do newcomer training on safety and reading the course and driving, but not really on working. I find this particularly important for the "hired" workers with nothing at stake on the outcome.

The old system with a sheet done in conjunction with a radio call in, in a way was easier to control. I would be ahead on numbers before they came into my section. Short term memory loss in the heat of a race is a b***h.
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

The problem is that without writing them down like we used to, it's much too easy to forget a number that just went by in a flash, especially if you are watching the cones and chasing after one that was hit, or even monitoring your workers who are running after the cones.

One thing that would help is to make sure the radio person is doing only that job and not chasing cones, which wasn't possible in the corner-log days but might be happening now and causing some distraction.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Will Kalman wrote:The problem is that without writing them down like we used to, it's much too easy to forget a number that just went by in a flash, especially if you are watching the cones and chasing after one that was hit, or even monitoring your workers who are running after the cones.

One thing that would help is to make sure the radio person is doing only that job and not chasing cones, which wasn't possible in the corner-log days but might be happening now and causing some distraction.
The main reason we finally did away with corner logs was in fact so that the radio person could also chase cones. This was due to the smaller turnouts (fewer workers) and the desire to try and keep more than 4 run groups (more workers, but longer work sessions).

What Max describes is actually quite rare. Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was the new group of workers for hire. But it's really not a big problem, ESPECIALLY IF PEOPLE HAVE READABLE NUMBERS! There are rules for numbers that are not always followed or enforced. (I know the 600 numbers don't actually meet the rules, but they are still very readable.)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Rick Brown wrote: But it's really not a big problem, ESPECIALLY IF PEOPLE HAVE READABLE NUMBERS! There are rules for numbers that are not always followed or enforced. (I know the 600 numbers don't actually meet the rules, but they are still very readable.)
One thing I've noticed fairly consistently of late, is that folks are using blue painters tape and applying it in such a sloppy fashion that I've actually had trouble reading what they were trying to convey while the car is still parked in the pits/paddock. This can be easily resolved during the drivers meeting by highlighting the problem along with a warning that if the grid master (or someone) is not happy with how they are applied, they will be sent back to correct the situation before being allowed on course. It could be part of the "safety" discussion.

I am sure this is primarily coming from new people...but maybe not.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

One of the first thing Master Radio should do is go over the protocol expected. If this protocol isn't followed, the worker chief or event master should be brought in to deal with the situation immediately. Cone counts is too important to the results and user experience to just brush off.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

KJ Christopher wrote:One of the first thing Master Radio should do is go over the protocol expected. If this protocol isn't followed, the worker chief or event master should be brought in to deal with the situation immediately. Cone counts is too important to the results and user experience to just brush off.
Agreed - I know George is very good at that. In the group I worked, Master Radio had never worked the position before and was not being assertive enough with the radio stations.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

When I get to the office tomorrow, I"ll add the number protocol to the flier and also to the email confirmation that is sent out when registering. Hopefully, we can get a handle on the number problem. We'll make that a permanent fixture of the registration process. That should help.

I'll also make up an instruction sheet we can keep at the master radio station with the call-in protocol.

Lastly, we will need to make sure course radio operators are aware or what's expected. If we find a recurrence of calls that don't follow protocol, the radio master operator should request the radio be handed off to another person at that corner to give someone else a try. This doesn't require a lot of experience, just the ability to memorize the call until it can be relayed to the master radio,
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Proper radio procedure can be dealt with. Master radio just needs to insist on it -- repeatedly. Readable numbers can never be dealt with. We know this because we talk about it year after year and nothing ever happens. Clear evidence of impossibility. And when you hand out way sub-standard numbers from reg/tech, readable or not, you just don't have the high ground.

When I'm working course radio, ALL of the times I don't relay numbers are because I don't want to guess.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

While I agree it can be better, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. Most of the time proper radio procedure is followed, I know because I'm in there almost all day every event. If a course radio has trouble identifying a car number we can figure it out with the timing crew. We know what cars are on course at any one time, a brief description will usually do.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Aren't we loosing sight of one important fact? This happened to Max, so I really don't see what the problem is.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Bill Schenker wrote:Aren't we loosing sight of one important fact? This happened to Max, so I really don't see what the problem is.
He goes by "Limey Whiney Bitch" now.
Edited for the sake of world peace.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata