General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Help! Car problems again. 2003 S2000

Post by George Schilling »

At solo nationals, and againat Streets of WIllow Friday, I'm getting intermittent delayed throttle response exiting some but not all corners. The delay lasts about 3 seconds and happens whether the tank is full or not. The check engine light DOES NOT come on. I haven't had the problem in normal driving. At nats, I was having the problem exiting the left hand 180 on the east course, and also exiting the long left hand sweeper near the finish on the west course. At Streets, the problem occured only at the right hand 180 at the top of the hill. I think the problem would be impossible to recreate on a dyno as it only happens exiting turns. Any advice wqould be appreciated?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: Help! Car problems again. 2003 S2000

Post by KJ Christopher »

sounds like what happens to me when I forget to fully disengage the RX8's traction control system. I have no idea how the Honda system works, but I'd consider looking into it.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

The Vette does that when low on fuel. But it also felt like it was runing out of gas at 1/2 tank or better. So, just for something to do, I checked the fuel pump pickup screen and found is had a bunch of varnish build up from inside the tank. I haven't run it since then, but I can't help but feel it will be a bunch better after cleaning. On the S2K, I don't know if there is a screen on the in-tank pump, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Good Luck
Tom
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Tom Phillips wrote:The Vette does that when low on fuel. But it also felt like it was runing out of gas at 1/2 tank or better. So, just for something to do, I checked the fuel pump pickup screen and found is had a bunch of varnish build up from inside the tank. I haven't run it since then, but I can't help but feel it will be a bunch better after cleaning. On the S2K, I don't know if there is a screen on the in-tank pump, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Good Luck
Tom
A C4 with new pump and filters will cut at 3/4 of a tank at an autox, poor tank design, nothing you can do about it in AS trim - other than run a full tank..

I would start with a new fuel pump in the S2K.
George Schilling
Club Representative

KJ Christopher wrote:sounds like what happens to me when I forget to fully disengage the RX8's traction control system. I have no idea how the Honda system works, but I'd consider looking into it.
It almost acts like traction control kicking in, but alas, no traction control on the '03. Thanks for wieghing-in KJ.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:I would start with a new fuel pump in the S2K.
Sounds like a good place to start Jason. Thanks for checking-in.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

What kind of LSD does that car have?

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative

Jayson Woodruff wrote:What kind of LSD does that car have?

Jay W
Torsen I believe. It wasn't rear wheel spin if that's where your going Jay.
Kathy Teulie
Car#: 96

Post by Kathy Teulie »

George,

Did you check to see if the vehicle speed sensor is loose? That was what was causing the problem with my car at tour when you drove. I could be just be loose and only causing an issue in certain areas of the course.

Kathy
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

George, Here is something to look into. Honda has written a TSB (technican service bulletin) regarding the symptoms you described. Whats happening is that the map sensor (located on top of your throttle bodies) has a loose connection. The remedy established by honda was a special zip tie that wraps around the sensor and its wire loom connector. You should be able to go to Honda and have it fixed for free via TSB or you can make the correction yourself with the zip tie.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
George Schilling
Club Representative

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll try these first. The bummer is I won't know until I get it on the track to see if either solution worked.

Georgie
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

George,

Check the loose nut behind the steering first. :o
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:George, Here is something to look into. Honda has written a TSB (technican service bulletin) regarding the symptoms you described. Whats happening is that the map sensor (located on top of your throttle bodies) has a loose connection. The remedy established by honda was a special zip tie that wraps around the sensor and its wire loom connector. You should be able to go to Honda and have it fixed for free via TSB or you can make the correction yourself with the zip tie.
I was going to vote throttle position sensor problem, but that sounds like it's the likely culprit.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Jonathan Lugod wrote:George, Here is something to look into. Honda has written a TSB (technican service bulletin) regarding the symptoms you described. Whats happening is that the map sensor (located on top of your throttle bodies) has a loose connection. The remedy established by honda was a special zip tie that wraps around the sensor and its wire loom connector. You should be able to go to Honda and have it fixed for free via TSB or you can make the correction yourself with the zip tie.
After reading the TSB, I agree this almost perfectly describes the problem. Thanks again Jonathan.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Print that TSB out and keep it with your service manual.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

George Schilling wrote:
After reading the TSB, I agree this almost perfectly describes the problem. Thanks again Jonathan.
No problem. Glad to help you out. :thumbup:
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

George Schilling wrote:Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll try these first. The bummer is I won't know until I get it on the track to see if either solution worked.

Georgie
That's why CALTRANS has installed many convenient on/off ramps (mostly the off ramps) all over California.

:)
Bob Beamesderfer

Bob Plante wrote:
George Schilling wrote:Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll try these first. The bummer is I won't know until I get it on the track to see if either solution worked.

Georgie
That's why CALTRANS has installed many convenient on/off ramps (mostly the off ramps) all over California.

Yeah, George, just cruise down Lakewood Blvd. to the 405 ramps in Long Beach; go south to Bellflower, get off and re-orient yourself so you can take the northbound ramp going north on B-flower. 8-)
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Bob Plante wrote:

Georgie

Yeah, George, just cruise down Lakewood Blvd. to the 405 ramps in Long Beach; go south to Bellflower, get off and re-orient yourself so you can take the northbound ramp going north on B-flower. 8-)

If you're talking about coming back up the 405 to the north bound Lakewood Blvd off ramp, I agree that is a good one? But while it is a very nice off-ramp, it ends with a severe off-camber turn at the end. Next time you're in the area, take the Lakewood south bound ramp instead, stay in the right lane, then take the south bound on-ramp, then the north bound off-ramp. You're still heading north but you get 4 times the fun. :D

If you happen to be heading south on the 405 just passing through the area, get off on Lakewood Blvd. south. This ramp is long and fun also. When you get off, merge to the left hand turn lane, make a left and you're right back on the freeway. :D
Bob Beamesderfer

George Schilling wrote:
If you're talking about coming back up the 405 to the north bound Lakewood Blvd off ramp, I agree that is a good one? But while it is a very nice off-ramp, it ends with a severe off-camber turn at the end. Next time you're in the area, take the Lakewood south bound ramp instead, stay in the right lane, then take the south bound on-ramp, then the north bound off-ramp. You're still heading north but you get 4 times the fun. :D

If you happen to be heading south on the 405 just passing through the area, get off on Lakewood Blvd. south. This ramp is long and fun also. When you get off, merge to the left hand turn lane, make a left and you're right back on the freeway. :D
Used to live in Long Beach. And it was the first 5 years of owning my Miata, so I got to know many fine on/off ramps well. One of my favorites was the West 22 Studebaker ramp. Flat, 90-degree right, short straight, flat 90-degree left. Same goes for north on Studebaker to the East 22. :thumbup:
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

My fave onramp is the one right by my house that I take to work every day: 210 W @ Baldwin Ave. in Sierra Madre/Pasadena. If you get in the middle lane at the light, you can floor it, and cut across to the right lane to hit the apex. If you drive it correctly, you accelerate the entire time and you're going 80+ by the time you're ready to merge.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I like the 210W at Rosemead.

Its short and not hugely fast. The elevation change though is really different. Robert calls it "The Ride".
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

The West 91 on-ramp off Lincoln in Corona can be a hoot. With no interference and the right light timing, you start when the light turns green on Lincoln into an immediate left, about 100 feet of straight into another left, then about another 100 feet into a decreasing radius right. No camber help. When it all works out, you'll be at 75 when merging into traffic in an average vehicle, like a '93 V-6 Toyota pickup. :thumbup:

Miata speed is higher and classified information. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I like the 210W at Rosemead.
Yeah that's a fun one too, just because it's almost like the tire compression (I imagine) on the banked turn of a speedway. You can scare the crap out of the person driving next to you as you come into that turn, if you're in the right position...That's always fun }:)
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

I like the Interstate 15 merge ramp off of the 210 Highway going from the east to the south on 15.

With no traffic it is a long sweeper. I can do 120 in the vette.

Scares the crap out of my wife. I love it.

Also from I 10 on the 210 west, I drive this one everyday from work. Over 110 if there is no traffic.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!