Looking to add a new site...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

James Spurling

Looking to add a new site...

Post by James Spurling »

Hello Everyone,

First a little introduction. I'm the Chief TT steward for Cal-Club, a club racer, and course marshall (corner worker). My orginal vision was to have a TT type event, but our location isn't big enough (long and narrow with solar shades on the West side). So to get our command comfortable with the concept I'm looking to host a Solo school event at a new site, and will need some experienced people willing to help with some steward positions, and course design.

The site is on a military base and has limited access, and the few that would be willing to travel here (in the middle of nowhere) and help will need to have their paper work in place 2 weeks prior. If you already have a CAC, even better. At this event we're looking to have maybe 30 drivers, in street cars not classed. All participants will be 18 or older, no karts or minors although we could have some minor observers.

Our proposed time at this point is April 19th and we're working on putting togeather a package for our command to take to the region. I checked and this weekend falls between lots of events. If we can't get this signed off in the next four weeks, we can move it to May. After May it'd have to be delayed until October/November due to summer heat.

If you're interested please contact me at Z3GoCar@gmail.com

Thanks,

James Spurling
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: Looking to add a new site...

Post by Robert Puertas »

James,
You might want to talk to Mike Johnson at Evolution Performance Driving Schools. You can contact him at junior@evoschool.com or through the website http://www.evoschool.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Evo does autocross schools all over the country, as well as schools specifically for the US military. Military schools include advanced car control and off road schools. As such, Evo has a number of instructors who are already cleared to play on base.

The biggest problem I see for you is that Easter weekend might be a tough one to get the people you need out there on relatively short notice…

Best of luck!
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

James Spurling wrote:The site is on a military base and has limited access, and the few that would be willing to travel here (in the middle of nowhere)

Thanks,

James Spurling
Where specifically is this middle of nowhere base? Does it have a name? Might be helpful when looking for volunteers, if we had a clue where we were considering going.
Craig
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Craig Naylor wrote:
James Spurling wrote:The site is on a military base and has limited access, and the few that would be willing to travel here (in the middle of nowhere)

Thanks,

James Spurling
Where specifically is this middle of nowhere base? Does it have a name? Might be helpful when looking for volunteers, if we had a clue where we were considering going.
Craig
I'm guessing China Lake.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

George Schilling wrote:I'm guessing China Lake.
8-)
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

James Spurling wrote: If we can't get this signed off in the next four weeks, we can move it to May. After May it'd have to be delayed until October/November due to summer heat.
It doesn't get that hot out there :D

I think Jayson Woodruff might be the guy to talk to based on what I think you want to do. http://www.jaycomservices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See you at Thunderhill :thumbup:
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

George Schilling wrote:I'm guessing China Lake.
That's one... but there are others that fit his description

March Air Force reserve (Not quite as hot as some of the other locations)
NAF El Centro (Blue Angels - winter home base)
29 Palms
MCLB Barstow
Fort Irwin

along with China Lake.

So are you guessing, or do you know?
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

George is correct.
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Toby Larsson wrote:It doesn't get that hot out there :D

I think Jayson Woodruff might be the guy to talk to based on what I think you want to do. http://www.jaycomservices.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What the hell did I do you to Toby?

Anyways, be advised, I commonly calendar a year in advance. So earlier on my calendar the better. Right now I have 3 events booked in May.

Jay W
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Hey James ... if it's so remote and requires clearance ... why not the open expanses of El Toro, ex-Marine air field where many automotive events are held ... our favorite lot.
Attachments
El Toro 2.jpg
El Toro 2.jpg (263.28 KiB) Viewed 8555 times
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Hey James ... if it's so remote and requires clearance ... why not the open expanses of El Toro, ex-Marine air field where many automotive events are held ... our favorite lot.
I believe one of the motives is to offer something of interest to the young military guys out here on the base. But it's not restricted to those people.

I'm not a central player here, but said I'd help out.
James Spurling

Post by James Spurling »

First off, sorry for the delayed response as I spent the weekend Course Marshalling in white at Willow Springs.

George, Toby, and Bill are correct, I'm working with China Lake's new motor club, The Sidewinder Motor Club (SMC). I started out hoping to have a TT type event in conjuction with the car show we hosted last October. Due to avaliable location and getting everything in place, it was dropped, but not before we started considering other options and came to the conclusion that we could host an autocross instead. I'm hoping to have this transistion into the fall/winter events like Bill used to organize. Once our Command has become familier with what this involves and the risks, we can open the gates and allow visitors like we had with the Sidewinder Classic car show. While our active duty service members are an important part of the SMC, there are far more civillians here. Many, including myself, have advanced degree and move from larger urban centers and are looking for oportunities to do something without having to drive hours to get there. Think of this as an oportunity to get new members to come to Autoclub speedway and El Toro.

Craig, I'm sure Gayle's been in touch with you. We need a safety steward for the event, the sanction form, and for the assurances of our Command. Would you be avaliable and interested?

Jayson, I'm hoping that Ray Hocker might have already been in touch with you about securing cones and timing equipment. Let me know if he hasn't. Also if you can help us out this comming April 19th.

Bill, I hope you got my e-mail from this morning. We could really used your skill setting up the course the evening of April 18th. Also, we could use your expertise as Chief Steward too.

Mako, best of luck with Karen's latest hospital trip and you stay strong too.

Toby and Jason, I'll see you both at Thunderhill :thumbup:
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

James Spurling wrote: Jayson, I'm hoping that Ray Hocker might have already been in touch with you about securing cones and timing equipment. Let me know if he hasn't. Also if you can help us out this comming April 19:
Nope, haven't heard. Ray knows me. Is he really going to get involved in an SCCA event?

That's going to be a bit of a tough weekend for me, but I can likely support equipment (pretty sure you'll need more than Cones though). I can probably find bodies, but they cost.

E-mail for details

Woodrufj@jaycomservices.com

Jay W
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

A bit of local color on the way to China Lake: http://randsburggeneralstore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://randsburggeneralstore.com/fountainmenu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://randsburggeneralstore.com/thingstoknow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a milkshake. Back in the day the stools at the soda bar were for adults. "We" have gotten taller.
James Spurling

Post by James Spurling »

Just to follow up, our command has given this the green light. We even have our JAG officer in line as a participant/driver. I've signed up as the event chair, with Bob Jardine as the Safety Steward, Bill Martin will draw the course up, and registration and waivers will be handled by Gayle Jardine, while timing will be covered by Jayson Woodruff. As this won't be a competition event, we won't be classing cars or have scoring. My other hats will be chief of tech and chief instructor. Participation is limited to 30, who already have base access. I'll have to write a special memo to get Jayson, Bob, and Gayle access. Should be a fun event, and I hope this leads to more events next fall.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

PM sent.
James Spurling

Post by James Spurling »

Thanks to Jayson Woodruff, Bill Martin, and Bob and Gayle Jardine we had a successful event. As previously mentioned we capped our entry number at 30, and had 28 attend. Our course was a challenging out and back, which suited our lot limits while giving a decent run time of roughly 50 seconds in most of the street cars. Because of our success, we've already got permission for our next event, which we'll be planning for after this summer.