General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

April Fastrack

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Full version: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... -april.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't find the Solo version, I don't think it's officially been released yet, but when it is it should be here: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... l-solo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Re: April Fastrack

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Why have I been refreshing not-yet-posted FasTrack links waiting for them to go live?

Because I sent in a letter requesting an oil cooler allowance in stock (my Z doesn't have one, and it overheats in about 5 laps at the track). It wasn't referenced in this FasTrack, so I'll have to wait till next month I guess. However, it is definitely promising that they're proposing that same allowance in ST, with the same justification.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jeff Stuart wrote:Why have I been refreshing not-yet-posted FasTrack links waiting for them to go live?

Because I sent in a letter requesting an oil cooler allowance in stock (my Z doesn't have one, and it overheats in about 5 laps at the track). It wasn't referenced in this FasTrack, so I'll have to wait till next month I guess. However, it is definitely promising that they're proposing that same allowance in ST, with the same justification.
After you fix that issue better add a trans and diff cooler, those fail shortly after. All the press cars from the 370 launch came with them. :lol:
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Don't try running a C5 Z06 at Big Willow in the Summer more than 3 laps either. You will lose the transmission, and the diff will be very unhappy as well.
Ask me how I know :unimpressed:
GT
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Rally/Solo Program - Duncan
Solo program has received requests to lower the minimum age for ride-along passengers in Solo for educational programs. This
is a limited change to the Solo minimum age for specific educational programs.

Motion: Lindstrand/Zekert - The Rally/Solo Department requests BOD approval of the following change/addition to
Section 1.3.2.D.1 of the Solo Rules: for limited educational purposes, as approved prior to the event by the Rally/
Solo Department, the SEB, and the Solo Safety Committee, the minimum age of a passenger is ten (10) years of age.
Effective immediately 3/6/2014. Approved. Unanimous. 13-0.
How do we get this approval for CalClub events? May we get blanket approval or approval on an annual basis?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Morgan Trotter
Club: PSCC
Car#: 61

Post by Morgan Trotter »

Nice to know that my SRT-4 was in regs the whole time.
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Gary Thomason wrote:Don't try running a C5 Z06 at Big Willow in the Summer more than 3 laps either. You will lose the transmission, and the diff will be very unhappy as well.
Ask me how I know :unimpressed:
Stock fluids or better (Redline)?

:)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Have you been through Nissan tech bulletins? BMW 335is had a not well known service advisory to install oil coolers free of charge in vehicles subject to hot climates.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Gary Thomason

Post by Gary Thomason »

Bob Pl wrote:

I think I had stock oil in it - it was a very long time ago so not sure as I did run Redline in several Corvettes I had. But on the C5 the trans temp gets to 300+ within as few as 3 hard laps on a hot day there. No oil is going to protect well at that temperature. This is why after 1999 Chevy added a transmission over-temp warning light to the Corvette, and then in the Z06 they added a gauge that showed the temp if too high on the DIC screen. This is also why nearly all C5s run in any road racing series back in the day often sounded like a damn helicopter going by in the pits because of all the added trans/diff coolers (with noisy fans) to prevent this from happening.

Big willow in the summer is admittedly a tough challenge, but so is Pahrump, Buttonwillow, Firebird and many other tracks in the desert. Of course, It also depends very much on how hard you are pushing it, as I was surrounded at the time by other Corvettes that were not having much of an issue (this was a DE event where it failed). But, they were also running laps mainly in the 1:37 to 1:45+ and slower range. I was running mostly in the high 1:20's to very low 1:30's in my old ASP car -a big difference in heat production, unfortunately for me.
GT
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Gary Thomason wrote:
Bob Pl wrote:

I think I had stock oil in it - it was a very long time ago so not sure as I did run Redline in several Corvettes I had. But on the C5 the trans temp gets to 300+ within as few as 3 hard laps on a hot day there. No oil is going to protect well at that temperature. This is why after 1999 Chevy added a transmission over-temp warning light to the Corvette, and then in the Z06 they added a gauge that showed the temp if too high on the DIC screen. This is also why nearly all C5s run in any road racing series back in the day often sounded like a damn helicopter going by in the pits because of all the added trans/diff coolers (with noisy fans) to prevent this from happening.

Big willow in the summer is admittedly a tough challenge, but so is Pahrump, Buttonwillow, Firebird and many other tracks in the desert. Of course, It also depends very much on how hard you are pushing it, as I was surrounded at the time by other Corvettes that were not having much of an issue (this was a DE event where it failed). But, they were also running laps mainly in the 1:37 to 1:45+ and slower range. I was running mostly in the high 1:20's to very low 1:30's in my old ASP car -a big difference in heat production, unfortunately for me.
I did get the tranny warning at the Roval once (274 deg f IIRC) flash on the dic. 2004 z. It was probably about 88 ambient. Stock cooling system pushed 260f (since replaced with DeWitts). I had redline all systems & have put 10k on since with no issues but it(tranny/diff) does get hot. Since then I also freshen the diff & tranny every year with the redline. Don't do many track days as I am sort of looking for a c6z that is better suited.