Go Pro

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Go Pro

Post by Ed Holley »

Thinking about a purchase. It will probably be used exclusively for autocross. I'm casually aware of the differences in features among the "levels" of Go Pro. Just not sure which features I'll use or need.
Which one am I looking for?
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Re: Go Pro

Post by Brian Kelly »

I have both a Hero1 and Hero2. I got the Hero2 for the 3.5mm input to run an external mic. For the 3 and 3+, you need a $20 adapter to input it through the mini USB port. The 3 and 3+ have built in WiFi, while 1 and 2 need a seperate backing to enable it. I've heard using the WiFi will drain the battery very fast. Also, get at least a 16gb HDSC SD card. I used to have an 8GB, and it would fill up with about 30-40 min of footage.

For me, the Hero2 is the perfect one, since it has the Mic input, and was pretty cheap when I got it, because the Hero3 had just come out. As far as video quality between the 1, 2, 3, 3+, white, silver, black, etc., I can't tell the difference at all, and once you render it for youtube, it all gets compressed to the same quality anyway.
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

I can't speak to the Hero3 because I don't have one, but like Brian, I also have both a 1 and 2, and the onboard mic is noticeably better in the 2 (I learned this early this month when I forgot my external mic and had to choose which camera's audio to use)

If you aren't going to use an external mic, it looks like the Hero3 White Edition + Suction Cup Mount on amazon will run you about $230 total. If you're not picky about audio, that'll get the job done.

If you are going to use an external mic, I recommend this one, it's what I use (with a 90 degree adapter, you can see it in most of my videos): http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECM-DS70P-El ... +ecm+ds70p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Brian Kelly wrote:I have both a Hero1 and Hero2. I got the Hero2 for the 3.5mm input to run an external mic. For the 3 and 3+, you need a $20 adapter to input it through the mini USB port. The 3 and 3+ have built in WiFi, while 1 and 2 need a seperate backing to enable it. I've heard using the WiFi will drain the battery very fast. Also, get at least a 16gb HDSC SD card. I used to have an 8GB, and it would fill up with about 30-40 min of footage.

For me, the Hero2 is the perfect one, since it has the Mic input, and was pretty cheap when I got it, because the Hero3 had just come out. As far as video quality between the 1, 2, 3, 3+, white, silver, black, etc., I can't tell the difference at all, and once you render it for youtube, it all gets compressed to the same quality anyway.
Thank you Brian! That kind of confirms my thought that maybe I don't need the 3 or 3+.
2001 NB Miata
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Jeff Stuart wrote:...If you aren't going to use an external mic, it looks like the Hero3 White Edition + Suction Cup Mount on amazon will run you about $230 total. If you're not picky about audio, that'll get the job done.

If you are going to use an external mic, I recommend this one, it's what I use (with a 90 degree adapter, you can see it in most of my videos): http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECM-DS70P-El ... +ecm+ds70p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Jeff. Why would I want an external mic? Obviously for sound, but is that the only way you will get sound?
2001 NB Miata
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Post by Brian Kelly »

You'll still get sound without an external mic, but depending on camera placement, you'll get a lot of wind noise as well.

Here's a video before I got the external mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLgSfLhS-mA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is one from this past Sunday with the mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll0o17SREP0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I'm using the cheaper version of Jeff's mic. I needed to tape some cotton over the ends to further reduce wind noise, and if it's too close to a loud exhaust pipe, you can get some static, but overall it has worked pretty well. I needed to get an extenion cable as well, since the cable attached is only about 3' long.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-Omnid ... y+lavalier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I probably have a 2 and 3 for sale.

btw. I get asked a lot about an inexpensive mini cam for kids, etc.

I've been playing around with this chinese knock off. $125 ... 7 days shipping from China. Built In Monitor, Motion Detection Trigger, HDR (balances exposure outside/inside) along with some baffling modes that I can't figure out? "Car" Mode ... ?!

What really improves motion picture video with mini-cams is being able to shoot at 60 fps ... on a 60 fps time line. You can use the free GoPro Cineform software to do that. With the latest GoPro's you can shoot at 1080/60. With the older ones 720/60. This helps reduce skewing and jello. Always mount your camera solid! Next to a seam rather then the middle of a body panel for instance.

Also some gross errors in labeling. Under White Balance ... Tungsten and Daylight are reversed. Under Sharpness ... Soft and (unusable) Sharpest are reversed?!

Available in different colors ... but no way to specify your color choice?! I emailed the rep to specify Black. Apparently if you don't do that, he (might) email YOU asking what color you want.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISUNBPU/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

extra battery: http://www.amazon.com/900mAh-Backup-Rec ... 339&sr=1-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incredible stupid battery door. To open it you have to hold a slider in one direction ... which then makes it impossible almost to get your finger under the trapdoor?!

Work sample still ... sharpness in the middle position: http://images108.fotki.com/v1629/photos ... 018-vi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyle O'Rourke
Car#: 860

Post by Kyle O'Rourke »

I have the original GoPro 1 and the GoPro 3 Black edition. I have also borrowed the GoPro2 a few times. In terms of picture quality, there is a noticeable difference in quality between the 1 and the 2. Between 2 and 3, you mostly get better picture quality in low-light conditions on the new one and similar quality for normal shooting. For sound quality, the GoPro1 is nothing special and a bit lacking. The GoPro2 is an improvement but still a bit to be desired. The GoPro3 I have found to have a good internal mic and usable audio quality.

As for problems, I have noticed that the GoPro2 sometimes has issues with firmware and freezing on occasion. For the GoPro3, the only thing that I don't like is the battery life. It is a significant amount shorter than the GoPro1 and GoPro2. I have my GoPro3 hardwired so that is not a problem for me.

For features, one that might be useful is the included wifi remote with the GoPro3. I think it might be an option for the GoPro2, but with the GoPro3, you can turn the camera on, change modes, and start recording with the included remote.

For me, I just waited for it to go on sale. I believe I got my GoPro3 black edition for $240 on techbargains.com.

For cheap HD cameras, I also have the Muvi Veho HD10. It comes with a lot of accessories for a low price and it records 1080p similar in quality to the GoPro1. It has a built-in LCD and comes with a remote. The main issues I have is that it comes with a built-in battery, can't be hardwired and record at the same time, and the audio quality is quite poor.
Chris Hofmann
Car#: 501

Post by Chris Hofmann »

yeah, the wifi will eat battery life on the hero3. and you have to remember to turn it off. If you have the wifi option running (to use the app or a remote to control it), even if you turn the camera off, it stays on till you hit the button. more than once this has eaten the battery up for me.
A1 Higher Graphics | Clutchmasters | CobaltNation | CrateEngineDepot | DEI | GoPro | GoPuck | PLWA | Rockwell Time | Slick Products | SpyOptics | Trackspec Motorsports | ZZPerformance
#501 Chevrolet Cobalt
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I have a WiFi back and remote for a GP2 ... Package deal, including an extra battery: $175
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mako Koiwai wrote:I have a WiFi back and remote for a GP2 ... Package deal, including an extra battery: $175
SOLD! :D
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I might have some GoPro 3's for sale in a few months