Missing feature on new web site

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Missing feature on new web site

Post by Craig Naylor »

I can't find how to email a member on the redesigned web site. All we needed was a name, or even partial name there and it would boolean search with what you typed. On the forum you actually need to know there screen name, which for many is not their actual name.
Can we please have that function back?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Re: Missing feature on new web site

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Craig Naylor wrote:I can't find how to email a member on the redesigned web site. All we needed was a name, or even partial name there and it would boolean search with what you typed. On the forum you actually need to know there screen name, which for many is not their actual name.
That would be a feature request for the forum, not the web page. I think Stephen Yeoh's in charge of that now.

The solo2 web page as it stands now is just a portal for the forums and motorsport reg while still retaining info on who we are as well as archives for past flyers and results. It is no longer attached to a database.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

I've never seen a forum based on the type we use for ours offer that feature, other than to search user names. Maybe it can be done, but no one does it? I don't know.

Stephen, can we look into it's possibility on the forum?

Leonard, if the forum is not capable, can we add it back to the website?

It would be a shame if we loose that ability. It was a great feature, somewhat unique to our region. I use on average once every other month to contact someone I don't have an email address for. It's one of those servicing our customers, benefits, Mike is always encouraging.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Craig Naylor wrote:I've never seen a forum based on the type we use for ours offer that feature, other than to search user names. Maybe it can be done, but no one does it? I don't know.

Stephen, can we look into it's possibility on the forum?

Leonard, if the forum is not capable, can we add it back to the website?

It would be a shame if we loose that ability. It was a great feature, somewhat unique to our region. I use on average once every other month to contact someone I don't have an email address for. It's one of those servicing our customers, benefits, Mike is always encouraging.
I totally agree with Craig, that was a very valuable feature for me, including that part that let you search by club only to see who is in a club. As a club rep, there isn't any other easy way. It seems a shame that we are losing many of the features that made the old version so useful.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

It doesn't have to be tied directly to points cards / membership chair as before, and live updated with every change they make. Just a database updated every 2-3 months with the blind email capability we had. Blind as I'm assuming we don't want a bot to search out listed emails directly in a visible form.
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Craig Naylor wrote:I can't find how to email a member on the redesigned web site. All we needed was a name, or even partial name there and it would boolean search with what you typed. On the forum you actually need to know there screen name, which for many is not their actual name.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, because I simply was not aware of the now missing feature and, therefore, never used it. However, don't we have such a feature on THIS forum under "Members" (upper right of page) once you log in? How is this different from what you are describing Craig except that maybe there is no search feature and/or...?
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

The differences...
On the forum you can only look up a persons forum name. For many it is their name... but many others also have a handle. To find them you have to search that handle.

On the web site you could look by first name, last name, club, or even partial names. For example Type in Ed any you would see Ed, Edward, Edwardo, Edwin (first names) along with Edwards (last names)etc. If you typed in *ed you would get any name that had the letters ed in any part of their name those listed above along with say a last name of Bred.

But some of the cool things you could also do was search by points card numbers. Say you wanted to know who #5 was, but didn't know their name. Or you wanted to look up all of the members of a SCNAX. You could do that too.

You can't do that here.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I was under the impression that all members were supposed to go by real first and last names. Did we get away from that policy or am I remembering it wrong?

I see we've picked up a bunch of junk in Members -- look at the Z's. Could we not drop all names that had no activity, ever, after a couple years? Seems like that would do a lot of weeding and if that drops an occasional real (but shy) person every two or three years, he could always re-register.
Guy Walker
Car#: 84

Post by Guy Walker »

leonard, there is no points card list for new members... well, at least i can't find it. just pretend you are new and want to get a points card - you'll see the problem.
Guy Walker
#84 370Z
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Guy Walker wrote:leonard, there is no points card list for new members... well, at least i can't find it. just pretend you are new and want to get a points card - you'll see the problem.
The points card listing is kept by the membership chairman and it's my understanding that it will eventually be available for viewing again via Google Docs, much like the calendar is now. I think there are still some kinks to work out before that happens.
~Leonard Cachola
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Craig Naylor wrote:It doesn't have to be tied directly to points cards / membership chair as before, and live updated with every change they make. Just a database updated every 2-3 months with the blind email capability we had. Blind as I'm assuming we don't want a bot to search out listed emails directly in a visible form.
There's been talk of getting someone to program a new database, but no timetable set for that to happen.
~Leonard Cachola
John Fendel
Club: CASOC
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

The points card listing is kept by the membership chairman and it's my understanding that it will eventually be available for viewing again via Google Docs, much like the calendar is now. I think there are still some kinks to work out before that happens.
I hope it can be done by the next event in April. I use the points card listing every month to fill in missing or incorrect teams in the results to compute team points.
Also, Christine imports each months results to get year end points which she updates several times during the year.
I use her points file at the end of the year to compute life time points.
If the clubs or points card numbers are missing/wrong, the points will be wrong.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

John, there's nothing in the rulebook that says you can't contact an e-board member and do business.

Just email Kurt Rahn and get the list when you need it until they figure out how they want to post it on the web. Christine can do the same.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I also really miss the Members list ... and how you could see all the members of a particular club. The find members on this page is not really useable.