passengers at practices/events

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

passengers at practices/events

Post by James Yom »

I just wanted to reconfirm, but the current rule for passengers is that even if they are not registered as drivers, they are allowed to ride along? For both practice and champ events (x runs).
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: passengers at practices/events

Post by George Schilling »

James Yom wrote:I just wanted to reconfirm, but the current rule for passengers is that even if they are not registered as drivers, they are allowed to ride along? For both practice and champ events (x runs).
Adult passengers will need to complete a passenger ride along form before riding along. Juniors 12 and up will need a parental sign off before riding. They do not need to be registered as drivers.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Maybe we should lower the age limit:

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2014/04/rally-fun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Maybe we should lower the age limit:

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2014/04/rally-fun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was fun Mako. :lol:

It's too bad the we live in a society where suing has become option one if someone gets hurt. :(
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

George Schilling wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:Maybe we should lower the age limit:

That was fun Mako. :lol:

It's too bad the we live in a society where suing has become option one if someone gets hurt. :(
They figured out how to do it w/ SCCA here:

http://vimeo.com/91787065

In other news, my little brother has just turned 12. Can't wait to give him ride alongs once we're back at El Toro!
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

George Schilling wrote:
James Yom wrote:I just wanted to reconfirm, but the current rule for passengers is that even if they are not registered as drivers, they are allowed to ride along? For both practice and champ events (x runs).
Adult passengers will need to complete a passenger ride along form before riding along. Juniors 12 and up will need a parental sign off before riding. They do not need to be registered as drivers.
My son is turning 12 in a few days, so we are planing to go to the September 27th event so he can ride with me.
Can I run Time Only and have a passenger?
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:
My son is turning 12 in a few days, so we are planing to go to the September 27th event so he can ride with me.
Can I run Time Only and have a passenger?
Yes, you can run time only and have a passenger. You can also run competition runs with a passenger if that passenger is considered to be a novice.
Below is a post that KJ made in a thread on the topic earlier this year:
KJ Christopher wrote:Palero is working on getting the supplemental regulations updated. In the meantime, here is the rule change (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7451):

Rule Change: George’s motion, Chris seconds, passed unanimously.

Change 3.5.1.1 UNAPPROVED PASSENGER PENALTY
Any driver (other than a Student/Novice taking an Approved Instructor) with a passenger during official competition runs will have that run and any subsequent official runs marked as DNF. Any passenger who has not completed all of their official competition runs will have any subsequent official runs marked DNF

to

3.5.1.1 UNAPPROVED PASSENGER PENALTY
Any driver other than a Student/Novice with a passenger during official competition runs will have that run and any subsequent official runs marked as DNF. Any passenger who has not completed all of their official competition runs will have any subsequent official runs marked DNF

The intent is to allow people new to our sport the ability to take passengers for exposure to our sport as well as instruction.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Thanks, I think Time Only will work fine.

But
You can also run competition runs with a passenger if that passenger is considered to be a novice.
I think you mean the driver has to be the novice, or else the driver will get DNF for that run and all subsequent official runs, right?
3.5.1.1 UNAPPROVED PASSENGER PENALTY
Any driver ... with a passenger during official competition runs will have that run and any subsequent official runs marked as DNF. ...

The intent is to allow people new to our sport the ability to take passengers...
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Last edited by Sean Fenstermacher on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Sebastian Rios wrote:...Yes, you can run time only and have a passenger. You can also run competition runs with a passenger if that passenger is considered to be a novice...
Below is a post that KJ made in a thread on the topic earlier this year:

Hey Seb, Can you check notes on this. There was a change to this section back in Mar/April this year that my faulty memory remembers as looser than you describe above. Also, your link goes to KJs 2013 comments on passengers, which are outdated due to the Mar/Apr '15 change.

Also note the early posts to this thread are over a year old and pre-date the Mar/Apr change as well.

Jay W
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Just looked up the February Minutes. They are not publicly posted as they need to be reviewed. I dumped several months on the committee minutes before the last meeting and we decided to defer to the next meeting to approve them. Then they will be publically posted.

February meeting the club reps voted to allow passengers without any novice requirement. So open passengers. Of course, passengers may not later compete after previewing the course.

December event. I'm taking Robert for a ride!!!! He will want to drive though....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:February meeting the club reps voted to allow passengers without any novice requirement. So open passengers. Of course, passengers may not later compete after previewing the course....
As starter, I had to ask what the latest passenger rules were, and the above agrees with what I was told by the powers on high. Any passengers, any time, but no previews for competitors.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: I'm taking Robert for a ride!!!!
Is he 12 already? How freaking long have I been doing this? (You'd think I'd get it right sooner or later)

Jay W