Heads up on Crow's Landing events

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Michael Wood

Heads up on Crow's Landing events

Post by Michael Wood »

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this in any type of official capacity, just passing along a couple of thoughts to consider about this "new" site.

So, after years of back-and-forth with multiple parties, SFR has been given the opportunity to use the Crow's Landing site for 4 weekends in 2014. For those that haven't been there, it is a former Naval Auxiliary Landing Airfield, constructed to allow emergency landing/storage for the very largest planes utilized in previous wars. As a result, it represents acres and acres of very thick, very level concrete. In theory, you could lay out a 3.5 mile course...matter of fact, "back in the day" SCCA held road races at this location. While the surface will be abrasive, until more seasoned, it will also be true and deliver big time grip :)

First, I think it is important to know that we, in effect, are being given an extended trial by the powers that be, to ensure that our group performs in line with expectations. What this means is that we will want to be aware that our actions, both on the site and off, will be noticed. We need to leave the site cleaner than when we arrived, not do anything against any laws and behave responsibly.

It is also important to "give back" to the town of Patterson, which is where many of us will be staying over the Pro and Tour weekends. There are a good number of hotels in town and plenty of services, including some fun restaurants (both downtown and in the newer area adjacent to the freeway), that would love the incremental business a bunch of out of towners can bring...be sure to be wearing your SCCA t-shirt, hat etc when you're injecting your money into their local economy ;)

The hopes are that we can forge a strong, long term relationship. It is very important to SFR, as we (like most other regions) are not exactly swimming in quality venues to drive around cones. So, I would ask that we all do our best to keep it positive. We will all benefit over the long haul!

Thanks for reading-Mike
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Heads up on Crow's Landing events

Post by George Schilling »

Michael Wood wrote:Disclaimer: I'm not posting this in any type of official capacity, just passing along a couple of thoughts to consider about this "new" site.

So, after years of back-and-forth with multiple parties, SFR has been given the opportunity to use the Crow's Landing site for 4 weekends in 2014. For those that haven't been there, it is a former Naval Auxiliary Landing Airfield, constructed to allow emergency landing/storage for the very largest planes utilized in previous wars. As a result, it represents acres and acres of very thick, very level concrete. In theory, you could lay out a 3.5 mile course...matter of fact, "back in the day" SCCA held road races at this location. While the surface will be abrasive, until more seasoned, it will also be true and deliver big time grip :)

First, I think it is important to know that we, in effect, are being given an extended trial by the powers that be, to ensure that our group performs in line with expectations. What this means is that we will want to be aware that our actions, both on the site and off, will be noticed. We need to leave the site cleaner than when we arrived, not do anything against any laws and behave responsibly.

It is also important to "give back" to the town of Patterson, which is where many of us will be staying over the Pro and Tour weekends. There are a good number of hotels in town and plenty of services, including some fun restaurants (both downtown and in the newer area adjacent to the freeway), that would love the incremental business a bunch of out of towners can bring...be sure to be wearing your SCCA t-shirt, hat etc when you're injecting your money into their local economy ;)

The hopes are that we can forge a strong, long term relationship. It is very important to SFR, as we (like most other regions) are not exactly swimming in quality venues to drive around cones. So, I would ask that we all do our best to keep it positive. We will all benefit over the long haul!

Thanks for reading-Mike
Well said Mike. Thanks for posting!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

George, think you can find some cheap hotels in Patterson?
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

George likes moderately pricey hotels at a cheap price.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Is information available yet on on-site camping?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

KJ, I don't have the specifics on how we are going to allocate space and where, but can tell you that camping on site will be allowed. Where is going to hinge on how the courses are set up and where we need to grid. Good news is that there is plenty of space with which to work. edit: to be clear, when I say "allocate space", I just mean where we put the RV's...there will be room for everybody!

Also, I forgot to mention that there will be storage available (outdoors at local RV park overflow area) the week between events. I believe Bryan Nemy is on point for that one.
Last edited by Michael Wood on Thu May 01, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:George, think you can find some cheap hotels in Patterson?
The least expensive rooms will the the old motor court motels. I would think you could negotiate a rate under $50 dealing directly with an owner. There should still be a few of those around.

Small market = limited choices. Not a good scenario for price shopping when rooms are scarce.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

While Patterson is the easy button and our go to, keep in mind that Tracy is about 30 minutes north and is much bigger. Also, to the south, Santa Nella is about 20 minutes from the site. So, if Patterson ends up booked, there are other options.