General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Drones at events

Post by Rick Brown »

Problem solved. "I'm not flying it, it has a mind of it's own. It just happened by and decided to watch us for a while."
http://magicseaweed.com/news/airdog-is- ... rone/6443/
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Heh, that strikes me as just about as likely as Amazon drone-delivering boxes to my front porch.

Related content -- I just flew my new hexacopter first time this morning. Sweet. Big. Still in one piece.

And someone :ugeek: was seen flying a small quad at the SCCA national rallycross this weekend. (Post track action.) No jack-booted thugs came marching in.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Bill Martin wrote: No jack-booted thugs came marching in.
I must have already goose-stepped home.

:D

Jay W
dihrdzr

Post by dihrdzr »

Technically they aren't really drones. The term drone comes from the press for not knowing what they are talking about. A drone was a simple stupid term for aerial practice shooting. Basically the drone would be launched on a straight flight path, then destroyed by a manned fighter or SAM sight. The term for the vehicles used today are known as UAV's "unmanned air vehicle" agreed that statement describes a drone, but a UAV is flown on missions and returns home via a manned pilot in an undisclosed location. The only difference with a UAV and a manned plane, is the UAV pilot is not physically in the UAV.

FYI only
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

dihrdzr wrote:Technically they aren't really drones. The term drone comes from the press for not knowing what they are talking about. A drone was a simple stupid term for aerial practice shooting. Basically the drone would be launched on a straight flight path, then destroyed by a manned fighter or SAM sight. The term for the vehicles used today are known as UAV's "unmanned air vehicle" agreed that statement describes a drone, but a UAV is flown on missions and returns home via a manned pilot in an undisclosed location. The only difference with a UAV and a manned plane, is the UAV pilot is not physically in the UAV.

FYI only
The irony is that some people are "drones". Does that mean, then, that they are "unmanned" as well? :(
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

It really is too bad they aren't allowed, there are a few out now that you can have follow you on their own with set angle/direction recording. It would make for really great video.
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Some nice footage here showing what can be done: https://www.facebook.com/jaimeaguirreco ... 7700681171

Check out this little autonomous UAV

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sq ... ial-camera
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Ed Holley wrote:
Mike Simanyi wrote:The only way they are allowed is if (1) the drone operator has FAA certification to operate the drone and...
Mike
If the SCCA, or even SoCal Solo wants to outlaw them, they should just say "not allowed". Period.
But relating to FAA, there is no certification possible or required by the FAA. They are totally legal for "recreational" purposes, as long as flown below 400 feet, and sufficiently away from populated areas and full scale aircraft.

Completely rational position for the SCCA. Interestingly enough they avoided the current real drag on small drone use in urban areas, above even liability and that is privacy and the need for model releases from those that have been imaged. ACLU has pending litigation that will eventually clarify those issues, but these are non-trivial issues. Hobbyist have gotten somewhat a break, but that doesn't mean they are free and clear.

As far as safety that little quad copter is fine unless it comes in contact with the driver of a speeding Kart or Convertible.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

dihrdzr wrote:Technically they aren't really drones. The term drone comes from the press for not knowing what they are talking about. A drone was a simple stupid term for aerial practice shooting. Basically the drone would be launched on a straight flight path, then destroyed by a manned fighter or SAM sight. The term for the vehicles used today are known as UAV's "unmanned air vehicle" agreed that statement describes a drone, but a UAV is flown on missions and returns home via a manned pilot in an undisclosed location. The only difference with a UAV and a manned plane, is the UAV pilot is not physically in the UAV.

FYI only
DoD's & FAA current preference is Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/
Daryl Lane
Car#: 32

Post by Daryl Lane »

Rick Brown wrote:
Will Kalman wrote:What do the FAA and the SCCA care if I play my bagpipes at an event?
Being of Scottish descent, I wouldn't mind, but others may find the "music" to be distracting, thus a safety hazard.
I don't know - the correct song piped into a helmet radio just might get me into the grove! No puns intended... :lol:
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

What about people that just drone on? Are they prohibited now too?
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Michael Oest

Post by Michael Oest »

My car Drones between 2500-2800, can I still bring it? ;)
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Bill Schenker wrote:What about people that just drone on? Are they prohibited now too?
Apparently not. :D

BTW, When and IF we ever return, when would you be able to drive my "putt-putt" and "wipe wax on, wipe wax off"?
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Some interesting info from Paul Durr, a karter from Vegas:

"FAA has gone nuts and issued an interpretation on model aircraft use that essentially treats them as full sized aircraft and regulates them as soon as they leave the ground. A public comment period is in affect.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/"
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Rick Brown wrote:Some interesting info from Paul Durr, a karter from Vegas:

"FAA has gone nuts and issued an interpretation on model aircraft use that essentially treats them as full sized aircraft and regulates them as soon as they leave the ground. A public comment period is in affect.

It all happens little by little until one day........poof.......a person realizes that the freedom we once enjoyed has been legislated or regulated away. Too bad we don't all realize it at the same time so we can do something about it.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Guy Walker
Car#: 84

Post by Guy Walker »

George Schilling wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:Some interesting info from Paul Durr, a karter from Vegas:

It all happens little by little until one day........poof.......a person realizes that the freedom we once enjoyed has been legislated or regulated away. Too bad we don't all realize it at the same time so we can do something about it.
+1000
Guy Walker
#84 370Z
Michael Oest

Post by Michael Oest »

It's called "Independence Limited"
Jayson Woodruff

Mike Simanyi wrote:As cool as it was to see that, the SCCA now has an official position and it effectively means we can't have drones at events
Does anyone have a link to an official SCCA statement on this I can point people to?

Jay W
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Does anyone have a link to an official SCCA statement on this I can point people to? Jay W
http://www.solomatters.com/dont_drone_m ... _at_events
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Rick Brown wrote:
Will Kalman wrote:What do the FAA and the SCCA care if I play my bagpipes at an event?
Being of Scottish descent, I wouldn't mind, but others may find the "music" to be distracting, thus a safety hazard.
Wait. What? Did someone say safety hazard?!
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Jayson Woodruff

Craig Naylor wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:Does anyone have a link to an official SCCA statement on this I can point people to? Jay W
http://www.solomatters.com/dont_drone_m ... _at_events
Thanks Craig.

Jay W