FC RX-7 classification

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

FC RX-7 classification

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Simple classing question: in my rule book, it appears that the FC RX-7 Turbo is BSP, while the non turbo version is considered CSP. Does that mean the SEB considers the two cars to be on two different lines, and as such, update/backdate rules between the cars wouldn't work?
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: FC RX-7 classification

Post by Anthony P. »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:Simple classing question: in my rule book, it appears that the FC RX-7 Turbo is BSP, while the non turbo version is considered CSP. Does that mean the SEB considers the two cars to be on two different lines, and as such, update/backdate rules between the cars wouldn't work?
Correct. just like my mazdaspeed Miata in bsp and an nb non turbo is in csp.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Anthony Porta wrote:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:Simple classing question: in my rule book, it appears that the FC RX-7 Turbo is BSP, while the non turbo version is considered CSP. Does that mean the SEB considers the two cars to be on two different lines, and as such, update/backdate rules between the cars wouldn't work?
Correct. just like my mazdaspeed Miata in bsp and an nb non turbo is in csp.
So would it be mandatory to use a Turbo II chassis? For instance, if we dumped your motor into Shenker's car, would that then just make his a BSP car? The chassis are the same, it's just the running gear that's different.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

As we are on separate lines, no you can't swap chassis or running gear. It's prevents everyone from having to run crazy car chassis combos. At least in street prepared.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

I see your point. Here's the thing: per the SEB, VIN numbers are NOT protestable, so as long as the car you present complies with exactly what you put on your entry form, you're good to go. If the body shells are exactly the same, you could create one car from the other, as long as you swap EVERYTHING from one shell to the other including unique body panels, interior, electrical, accessories, trim, etc... now you're beginning to see why it's not such a simple proposition?

Regarding the FC, are you saying you want to run a non-turbo engine in a turbo chassis? Such a thing did exist from the factory: it was a limited-run car called the GTU-s.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Steve Lepper wrote:I see your point. Here's the thing: per the SEB, VIN numbers are NOT protestable, so as long as the car you present complies with exactly what you put on your entry form, you're good to go. If the body shells are exactly the same, you could create one car from the other, as long as you swap EVERYTHING from one shell to the other including unique body panels, interior, electrical, accessories, trim, etc... now you're beginning to see why it's not such a simple proposition?

Regarding the FC, are you saying you want to run a non-turbo engine in a turbo chassis? Such a thing did exist from the factory: it was a limited-run car called the GTU-s.
My friend wants to build a shop car, and we were thinking that a good way to reintroduce Tri-Point back into Solo would be a BSP RX-7.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

If you want to build an FC Turbo it will not be competitive in my opinion except for either SM2 or XP class. It would also be a lot more fun in either class and you would not have to run stock turbo etc. Just a thought from a previous RX7 owner.

Steve O'Blenes