ES Build for a 99 Miata

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mark Hazboun

ES Build for a 99 Miata

Post by Mark Hazboun »

Which front anti-swaybar and which dampers are recommended for a national competitive ES build? I would like to consider double adjustables too. Thanks.
Last edited by Mark Hazboun on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Loney
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 777

Re: ES Build for a 99 Miata -need swaybar and damper suggest

Post by Pete Loney »

Can't go wrong with Koni DA's and Racing Beat FSB
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Mark Hazboun

Post by Mark Hazboun »

That is what I have looked at so far.
The Koni 2812LB and the RB 1.125 tubular bar, RB endlinks, and the RB swaybar reinforcement mount.
I am still looking for pricing information on the 2812LB.

For single adjustables, is there anything to look at besides revalved Bilsteins HD or Sport, and revalved Koni Yellows?
For Bilsteins, which is preferred- the HD or Sport? I think one of them is geared toward dropping the car.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mark Hasbun wrote:RB endlinks, and the RB swaybar reinforcement mount.
I'm not 100% up on the new Street class rules, but these two items would have been illegal in the old Stock class.
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Mark Hasbun wrote:RB endlinks, and the RB swaybar reinforcement mount.
I'm not 100% up on the new Street class rules, but these two items would have been illegal in the old Stock class.
In reading this, it looks like the endlinks are okay, but the mount would not be.

13.7 ANTI-ROLL (SWAY) BARS
A. Substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware (brackets, endlinks, bushings, etc.) is permitted. The use of any bushing material is permitted. A bushing may be implemented as a bearing.
B. Substitution, addition, or removal of anti-roll bars may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
C. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Diana Albin

Post by Diana Albin »

Our 1999 Miata Sport was the 2007 C/S National Champion in Topeka... I can help you with everything including the sub 8 lb 15x6 CE 28n wheels.

Tim Albin 310 533 9595
Mark Hazboun

Post by Mark Hazboun »

I am taliking about this hardware mount reinforcement:
http://www.racingbeat.com/Miata-1990-20 ... 54122.html
I believe they are legal and they are very necessary or else the factory mounts will break.

Do I need to get these too:
http://www.racingbeat.com/Miata-1990-20 ... 54111.html

Tim, what do you suggest? Are you offering stuff for sale? Where can I get those wheels?
Diana Albin

Post by Diana Albin »

Yes... If you send your phone # privately I'll call you.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Adam Tarnoff wrote: B. Substitution, addition, or removal of anti-roll bars may serve no other purpose than that of an anti-roll bar.
C. No modification to the body, frame, or other components to accommodate anti-roll bar addition or substitution is allowed except for the drilling of holes for mounting bolts. Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted.
The RB blocks and bolts reinforcement is legal on the NA and NB Miata. See Appendix F, page 258 of the 2015 rule book:

Mazda Miata Anti-Roll Bar Mounts
For the purposes of Section 13.7, the upper (flat) and lower (U-shaped) mounting brackets for the front anti-roll bar on a Miata are both considered to be anti-roll bar brackets.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Leonard Cachola wrote:The RB blocks and bolts reinforcement is legal on the NA and NB Miata. See Appendix F, page 258 of the 2015 rule book:

Mazda Miata Anti-Roll Bar Mounts
For the purposes of Section 13.7, the upper (flat) and lower (U-shaped) mounting brackets for the front anti-roll bar on a Miata are both considered to be anti-roll bar brackets.

The RB bolts would be legal by themselves, but the RB reinforcement bracket's are an addition to, not a replacement of the factory mounting brackets. RB made them to counter a weakpoint created in the car with their thicker bar. RB own web site states so.
Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.23.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.23.53 PM.png (54.27 KiB) Viewed 10893 times
These are the "U" brackets they are referring to: (The "flat" being the opposing side of the bolt attachment point sandwich)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.27.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.27.33 PM.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 10893 times
Mark Hazboun

Re: ES Build for a 99 Miata

Post by Mark Hazboun »

I am not sure how far I want to go with this, but I thought it would be fun to see what my options are on my 99 miata as far as weight reduction in ES:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1999/maz ... s_options/

My car has the:
Leather Pkg - Manual Transmission
Popular Equip Pkg - Manual Transmission
Air conditioning

According to the Motortrend website, air conditioning is not listed under the leather or popular equipment packages. So can I remove it?
Can Power steering be replaced with a manual rack?
Can the Bose stereo be removed? or must it be replaced with a standard stereo and speakers?
Can I swap power antenna with standard?
Can I swap power windows, door locks, mirrors, with standard?
Can I remove the windblocker?
Anything else?

Also, what is the weight of a 99 sport package without the A/C and power steering?

BTW, I am seriously considering stripping out the A/C since it is broke and I really don't need it since it is not my daily and I live on the central coast.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

According to the Motortrend website, air conditioning is not listed under the leather or popular equipment packages. So can I remove it?
Search the solo rule book hard, I thought I saw the AC could always be removed. AC componets out of my '93 added up to 34lbs.
Can Power steering be replaced with a manual rack?
I've heard plenty think the added steering effort isn't worth the weight reduction. I know on particularly swervy and long courses my lats can suffer while still on course.
Can the Bose stereo be removed? or must it be replaced with a standard stereo and speakers?
Comfort and convience allows replacement, but not removal. Check the latest rules, last I read it wasn't all that clear on what you could claim was a light weight stereo system (velcroed ipod).
Can I swap power antenna with standard?
Power out of the '93 was 2lb.

Jay W
Mark Hazboun

Post by Mark Hazboun »

Thanks for your inputs Jayson. Velcroed ipod....I like that idea!

My understanding is that if air conditioning is standard equipment, then it cannot be removed for street or street touring classes. It can be removed in street prepared.

On the 99 miata, A/C is an option and it doesn't seem to be part of any package so I interpret it can be removed in street or street touring classes. I just want somebody to confirm I have this right.

If A/C was part of a package, then I believe I would have to remove everything from that package. Although under comfort & convenience rule, some items maybe kept.
Mark Hazboun

Post by Mark Hazboun »

Ok, I think I got this mostly figured out.

Under "Leather Pkg - Manual transmission," it states:
"Includes: [1PE] Popular Equip Pkg - Manual transmission And [1RA] Bose Audio System"

So I must keep the Bose and the PEP if I want to keep the leather interior.

The PEP includes: "Cruise control; Power antenna; Limited slip differential; Wind deflector behind seats; Key power locks; Four speaker(s)"

So if I want to keep the LSD, then I cannot remove the power antenna, cruise, wind blocker, and power locks. ....unless I apply the Sport Package and claim some stuff such as leather interior as "comfort and convience"

I also read somewhere on the Internet that the power windows is lighter than crank up windows on this car. Anybody confirm?

A/C can be removed since it is a stand alone option.

Do I have all of this right for the 99 model year?
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mark Hazboun wrote:Ok, I think I got this mostly figured out.
Under "Leather Pkg - Manual transmission," it states:
"Includes: [1PE] Popular Equip Pkg - Manual transmission And [1RA] Bose Audio System"

So I must keep the Bose and the PEP if I want to keep the leather interior.
Yes, and NO.
Leather:
You can add leather to a cloth interior as a comfort & convenience. But to keep your leather seats... it would be an all or nothing situation. Down grading to cloth, would not likely be accepted as a comfort & convenience with all the other things tied to the leather interiors in general.
Bose:
An aftermarket head unit would still be allowed. So you could ditch your Bose in favor of another... but what might you save, ounces? Jayson's IPod idea would definitely be out, so is the non-power antenna, as the Bose came with it.
Mark Hazboun wrote:I also read somewhere on the Internet that the power windows is lighter than crank up windows on this car. Anybody confirm?
I've read that too. Everything you read on the internet is ALWAYS TRUE! This might be one of those rare exceptions of lore being correct, but I can't confirm.
Mark Hazboun wrote:A/C can be removed since it is a stand alone option.
Maybe, maybe not. This would require a look at build sheet requirements. I work for a manufacturer designing brochures. While the brochure may list packages, and standalone options, it does NOT list requirements to package them. It's not uncommon at all that to get package, you incur a hierarchy of build order.

Lets say they offer packages A, B, C, & D, and stand alone items E & F, all available on trim SE (forgeting all the other times and options)

C may only be available if you also get A or B.
D May require A & B, but if you bet D you can not have C
E may require A & C, but is not available if you get B in any combination.
F can only be gotten by its self. Getting A,B,C,D, or E excludes the option of F.

Re-optioning your car can be a really messy undertaking. Especially if there is some individual part you want to keep.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Brian Johns has used 2812's for sale.
Mark Hazboun

Post by Mark Hazboun »

Craig, Where can I get a build sheet?

Who can confirm about the A/C removal on a 99 Miata that came with the Leather package and PEP?

Thank you
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Mark Hazboun wrote:Craig, Where can I get a build sheet?

Who can confirm about the A/C removal on a 99 Miata that came with the Leather package and PEP?

Thank you
A side note about AC removal. In my base configured 95 it was shipped with the interior AC core in place, therefore you can't remove the core inside the car. I don't have any of the engine side parts for AC installed. Thus, you can see two AC tubes sticking through my firewall.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mark Hazboun wrote:Craig, Where can I get a build sheet?

Thank you
You probably will never find one. Typically internal manufacturer documents only.

You will need to find a car exactly as you want, hope they have a Monroney, and build accordingly. Even with the monroney... you will still need to know the little secrets like Pete pointed out with the '95 A/C (potentially partial included parts) from factory, even on cars without the full system.

This is why people who want a specific car... go find it. Else-wise you drive what you have.

Miata.net is a place to start though....
Mark Hazboun

Post by Mark Hazboun »

I couldn't find it in the Street Category of the regs, but I remember that it is or was allowed that a California car can be converted to Federal car. For my 99 model year, I believe this means I can swap the CA exhaust manifold which has an integrated catalytic converter with a Federal exhaust manifold which doesn't have the CAT. There may be some differences between the Federal and CA second CAT too, but not sure.

Can anyone verify where this is written in the regs? Is this a worthwhile modification for the 99 miata in HP and weight savings? I recall the Federal car made 140hp where the CA car made 138hp...so could be good for a 2hp boost. What issues will I have to deal with when it comes to emissions testing in CA? Will this throw a check engine light?
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

You can AX any vehicle sold in the US that is specifically listed in any particular class.
You can use the catch all for any vehicle not specifically listed, or excluded, as long as it was sold in excess of 500 units.

There is no requirement for running state/region specific cars in those regions.

CA smog... I don't know how close they look at CARB state specific parts. I don't own a car with CARB / non-CARB options. My guess is they do, else-wise they would get poped by inspectors testing such inconsistencies.