Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 16

Points Card Squatting

Post by Mike Yanase »

I just wanted to put this out there.

Is there any way we can prevent members from "squatting" or holding their number? According to the rules from 2013 (PALERO WHERE ARE THE 2015 SUPPS?!), a member that hasn't entered an event in 3 years may have their number reassigned.

7.1.2 POINTS CARD RENEWAL:
Points card number(s) may be renewed after October 1. Points card number(s) must be
renewed by the end of the calendar year or they will expire. Expired number(s) are available on
a "first-come, first-served" basis, with the exception of the protected number range: 1-199 which
are assigned at the discretion of the Solo Membership Chairman. If a points card holder has not
entered an event in three years, the number may be reassigned, unless there are extenuating
circumstances that will be examined on a case by case basis.

I feel as though if you don't enter an event, let alone a practice, then your number should be automatically be up for grabs. It isn't fair for people to hold onto their number if they do not show up to events. I understand there is a clause in the rules that says there is an "exception of the protected number range: 1-199", but does that mean your 1-199 number is protected forever?

Personally I believe if you do not compete in a championship event for TWO years, then it should be up for grabs regardless of the number. Practice events should not count since ... well lets face it. You don't need a points card to enter a practice event.

Thanks
Mike Yanase
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 16

Re: Points Card Squatting

Post by Mike Yanase »

Hey Kurt,
I just read your post, but I guess this post is more catered towards having it reflected in the current Supplemental Rule Book

Palero
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Mike Yanase wrote:I just wanted to put this out there.

Is there any way we can prevent members from "squatting" or holding their number? According to the rules from 2013 (PALERO WHERE ARE THE 2015 SUPPS?!), a member that hasn't entered an event in 3 years may have their number reassigned.

7.1.2 POINTS CARD RENEWAL:
Points card number(s) may be renewed after October 1. Points card number(s) must be
renewed by the end of the calendar year or they will expire. Expired number(s) are available on
a "first-come, first-served" basis, with the exception of the protected number range: 1-199 which
are assigned at the discretion of the Solo Membership Chairman. If a points card holder has not
entered an event in three years, the number may be reassigned, unless there are extenuating
circumstances that will be examined on a case by case basis.

I feel as though if you don't enter an event, let alone a practice, then your number should be automatically be up for grabs. It isn't fair for people to hold onto their number if they do not show up to events. I understand there is a clause in the rules that says there is an "exception of the protected number range: 1-199", but does that mean your 1-199 number is protected forever?

Personally I believe if you do not compete in a championship event for TWO years, then it should be up for grabs regardless of the number. Practice events should not count since ... well lets face it. You don't need a points card to enter a practice event.

Thanks
I would like to see something like "Participation in at least 6 points events over 2 yrs".

Lots of names I see in the 1-199 list that are not part of our region and/or have not even competed in one local event the last 2yrs....hard to see how they are contributing to our region if they dont even show up!!!
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Sean Fenstermacher wrote:I would like to see something like "Participation in at least 6 points events over 2 yrs".

Lots of names I see in the 1-199 list that are not part of our region and/or have not even competed in one local event the last 2yrs....hard to see how they are contributing to our region if they dont even show up!!!
I enforce the rule pretty strictly as it's written. If someone hasn't shown up for 2 years and renews, I send them an email telling them this is the last year if they don't come to events. Problem is then they just come to one event. There are a lot of 1-199 numbers that come to 1-2 events. If you want to make it more strict (which I personally support), we'd have to discuss/vote for it at the next e-board meeting. I know there are some people that think that we should just take the points card money and move on, but I feel like it's something that should reward people who regularly participate in running in the region and participating in our events. If someone wants to run once or twice a year and not contribute, I personally feel they should pick something not in the 1-199s, but until/unless the rule is changed, I have to live by it.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Clearly, we can start by getting rid of those Schenker and Simanyi guys.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Sean Fenstermacher

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Clearly, we can start by getting rid of those Schenker and Simanyi guys.
Simanyi actually does stuff. Bill just talks too much. If we can draft the rules to get kick him down a couple notches, got my vote!!!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I propose that Bill get whatever is the last possible number.

I'll cut Simanyi a little slack.

I think we should force Puertas to run.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

I'll say that I would like the rules to be more strict, something along the lines of what Sean said. I have really wanted a specific number that is claimed, but the number hasn't been used at all this season, and rarely last season.
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I propose that Bill get whatever is the last possible number.

Something work! Robert showed up for the first time in ?years?
Drove well to.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Stephen Strand wrote:I'll say that I would like the rules to be more strict, something along the lines of what Sean said. I have really wanted a specific number that is claimed, but the number hasn't been used at all this season, and rarely last season.
Have you asked this person if they'll give it to you?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:I propose that Bill get whatever is the last possible number.

Something work! Robert showed up for the first time in ?years?
Drove well to.
New car. And he had me make magnetic numbers, so he's at least somewhat serious.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Hopefully my other commitments (work, family, church) will allow me to run events a little more often in the future!

Teaching Evo schools a few times a year has at least kept the rust to a minimum...
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Stephen Strand wrote:I'll say that I would like the rules to be more strict, something along the lines of what Sean said. I have really wanted a specific number that is claimed, but the number hasn't been used at all this season, and rarely last season.
Have you asked this person if they'll give it to you?
Yes, I did and they refused.
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Sean Fenstermacher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Clearly, we can start by getting rid of those Schenker and Simanyi guys.
Simanyi actually does stuff. Bill just talks too much. If we can draft the rules to get kick him down a couple notches, got my vote!!!
#iwasyourfirstlove! #nowthis?
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I am 15. If we punt Bill Schenker, I can move up to 14. Slowly climbing my way to the top!!!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jesus Saucedo
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

I have to agree with some of the things being said here. I support some of the feelings shared by some, specifically Kurt.

Odd thing is, I'm coming from the other side of this. I wouldn't consider myself a squatter; it just turned out that I only did one event this year. I had planned on doing a handful, but things just didn't work out that way.

I came back to the forum, after being gone for some time, to see what the timing was on the renewals for next year. I actually half expected my number to be up for grabs, and would have been okay with it, seeing as to how I haven't been very active.

That said, I'm glad I still have my number. As a side note, I may not be "active" on the forums or at the events, but I'm still pushing for people to drive safely, take racing to the appropriate places, i.e. autoX, road courses, and even Adams. AutoX usually comes up at least once in my bi-monthly CRX meets.
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

There is something that they do in Chicago region that I think is really kewl. For the numbers 1-20, they are awarded to the people that are the top 20 in pax for the season. So, like year end class points where we take our best 9 events, we'll take the best 9 events of all competitors and figure out who the top 20 in pax is each year. I think this is way better, as it increases competitiveness and instead of just being about luck to get a certain number, its earned. If you were #1 in the club, so should be your number.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

James Yom wrote:There is something that they do in Chicago region that I think is really kewl. For the numbers 1-20, they are awarded to the people that are the top 20 in pax for the season. So, like year end class points where we take our best 9 events, we'll take the best 9 events of all competitors and figure out who the top 20 in pax is each year. I think this is way better, as it increases competitiveness and instead of just being about luck to get a certain number, its earned. If you were #1 in the club, so should be your number.
Good for those people that make magnetic numbers, too. ;)

It should be optional. Many people have numbers than have some particular significance and would probably prefer to keep it.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Rick Brown wrote:It should be optional. Many people have numbers than have some particular significance and would probably prefer to keep it.
Like F1. Yes, there are a few people with 1-20 numbers who show to one or two events a year. Those numbers are pretty coveted, to I'd be totally in favor of this. It'd have to be voted on at the upcoming eBoard meeting on Wed.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

At one point in our past, it was talked about assigning the first 25 numbers according to life time points ranking.
That was to encourage competitors to keep coming back, as their points total would continue to grow every year.
But in the end, nobody who had low numbers, wanted to give them up to implement this, so it died.
Last edited by John Fendel on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Jason Swindle
Club: GRA
Car#: 5

Post by Jason Swindle »

I think if we strictly enforce the rule the way its written now, then at least we keep those that really do not run at all from keeping their number. I myself went through a number of years when I was primarily road racing where I only ran 1 maybe 2 events. That didn't mean that I didn't see myself continuing to autox and wanting to keep the number I'd always run with.

And yes, John, even though I was never asked, I would have a problem giving up my number ;) Not to mention those in the top 25 in lifetime points would have to keep making or buying new numbers as they moved up.

Jason "#5" Swindle
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

Rick Brown wrote: ..... Many people have numbers than have some particular significance and would probably prefer to keep it.
I think it would be difficult to change numbers for many people using lifetime points or PAX results.
Many groups/co-drivers have numbers with significance like ["5" and "55"] or ["72" and "172"] or ["171" and "17"] or ["15" and "115"] or ["74" and "174"] that make number changes quick when running 2 drivers. Some of those numbers (like "74" lifetime points ranked 3rd or "72" lifetime points ranked 6th/PAX 1st) belong to top 25 lifetime points drivers. The owner of number "7" (C.A.) is presently ranked 11th in lifetime points and "7" is not available and never will be. So do you make it top 26? With lifetime points Steve E. with number "15/co-driver 115" would take "46/co-driver 146" messing up more co-driver numbers. What do driver's like Lisa "1" and Curt "9" do? Do they get number 921 and 929 because the first 800 numbers that end in "1" or "9" numbers are taken or does Lisa get Quoc-Viet Dang's number? Mike Yanase, who started this thread, would give up "16" and move to "171" if we went deep with LT points and I end up with "16" messing up our 99/96 numbers. If we went with PAX ranking car "397" moves to "13" with co-driver "497" and then the old "13" moves to "5" and then "55" becomes "21" co-driven by "16" that was "5" as "72" moves to "1" bumping Lisa to find a number. Then KJ "11" and Steve E."15" also have to find new numbers as "78" takes "11" and "146/46" takes "15/115" messing up more co-driver numbers (same co-driver "number" swap as lifetime points). Mike Yanase, who started this thread, would give up "16" and hand it to KC. The impact of number changes in the top 25 would force many other higher number changes because many of the numbers have significance.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Jesus Saucedo
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

My head is spinning from reading that ^

Hey Doug, were you on that "limitless" drug when you wrote that? :)
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

Jesus Saucedo wrote:My head is spinning from reading that ^

Hey Doug, were you on that "limitless" drug when you wrote that? :)
I only looked at a small fraction of the numbers too. It is amazing how messy it would be to change the numbers. :shock:

I was waiting for a contractor to finish working on the house so I had some time to kill.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Sean Fenstermacher

While a simple vanity, point card numbers can and should be used as a reward for continual contribution and participation to the region's events. For new members, the thought of eventually getting their favorite number can possibly be a good motivator for participation and involvement. Veteran members should be motivated to keep their number through their continual participation.

Again, if you don't show up why do you need the number?

Having the bar set at a minimum of 6 point events over a course of consecutive 24 months is very reasonable and easily auditable by simply looking at the year end point summaries.