Oldie now newbie...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Oldie now newbie...

Post by Dan Shaw »

Ok, need a little help here from autocross peeps...Nothing set in stone yet (far from it) but Im kicking around the idea of getting back into the sport...been out of it for a shade under 10 years and predictably much has changed since 2006/2008. Ive been looking over the results from the last event for an idea of what to look into getting now that my current ride is paid for...

• Did the NB Miatas get bumped to ES?
• Is there a difference with the classes being called "street" instead of "stock" or is that just a rebranding? i.e. is there a treadwear limitation now, so no hoosiers?

Kicking around car options and the new miata is on my short list, but I'm trying to keep my eyes open for deals...the BRZ and 370Z are strong possibilities, as is the AP2 S2k (super soft spot still for that one). I see Jeff and Bryan killing it in Nissans and Lugod doing well in a Z06 these days...but, theres always room for an upstart with each new model year. :twisted:

Anyone mind tossing me a bone? Thank you in advance!
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Re: Oldie now newbie...

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Dan Shaw wrote:Ok, need a little help here from autocross peeps...Nothing set in stone yet (far from it) but Im kicking around the idea of getting back into the sport...been out of it for a shade under 10 years and predictably much has changed since 2006/2008. Ive been looking over the results from the last event for an idea of what to look into getting now that my current ride is paid for...

• Did the NB Miatas get bumped to ES?
• Is there a difference with the classes being called "street" instead of "stock" or is that just a rebranding? i.e. is there a treadwear limitation now, so no hoosiers?

Kicking around car options and the new miata is on my short list, but I'm trying to keep my eyes open for deals...the BRZ and 370Z are strong possibilities, as is the AP2 S2k (super soft spot still for that one). I see Jeff and Bryan killing it in Nissans and Lugod doing well in a Z06 these days...but, theres always room for an upstart with each new model year. :twisted:

Anyone mind tossing me a bone? Thank you in advance!
You seem pretty up to date on everything

Stock = Street, no more hoosiers, 200tw. Bridgestone RE71R or Rival S if you want to be on the pointy end.

All the cars you mentioned would be strong contenders in the classes they are in.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

It couldn't have been 10 years since you've been out, I raced you in SK2 for at least a season in 2010.

Yep, NA and NB in ES now. NC is still CS, as is the new ND.
"Street" replaced "Stock". It is mostly the same, but now on 200+ TW tires only (also you can go +/- 1" in wheel diameter now, but must retain offset and width as before). SSR still exists and is "Street R" -- SS cars on DOT-R tires.

ND will probably be a good pick for CS next year, and nationals this year showed that the twins can get it done in CS as well.
370Z got bumped to BS (where it is a definite underdog IMO) after some jerk won the CS national championship in one in 2014. #mustbethecar
S2K and non-Z06 C5 Vette seem to be the top dogs in BS.

Edit: Adam beat me...
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Welcome back I hope!

This is the guy that introduced me to this fun sport! Anyway, the above comments pretty much mirror my own. I think the nd will be given a good home in cs and an s2k or twin could also be good in str or stx. Just my 2 cents. Come back in whatever you have!
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

Thanks guys for the input so far! Feels like a needle in a haystack problem in some ways but that helps my focus a ton. Also pulls the wall down a bit lower to the ground. 8-)

Good to know about the NB...when it got classed with the 350/RX8/E36 the last year I ran I more or less figured that put it out to pasture. An E36 that showed up the day that reclassification hit walked away from most of us.

Anthony, thanks for the kind words. I don't think the Mazda 6 I have now would be anything to write home about...I mess around with it on backroads occasionally but it isn't really a great performer.

Jeff, I vaguely recall you running a 350z this past year...was just the 370 bumped to B or the 350 as well? On the new Miata, I happened to hit an article about someone running the ND at Nats on the solo homepage...I've been itchy to test drive one since I heard they were coming out but the dealer closest to me only has had autos. bleh. Its looking like the BBS brake/tire option would be smart. Also good to know about the wheels...seems theres a touch more flexibility there.

I'll likely be running in the norcal region, whatever that amounts to, but I consider CSCC as -the- benchmark. Appreciate the advice!
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Dan Shaw wrote:Jeff, I vaguely recall you running a 350z this past year...was just the 370 bumped to B or the 350 as well? On the new Miata, I happened to hit an article about someone running the ND at Nats on the solo homepage...I've been itchy to test drive one since I heard they were coming out but the dealer closest to me only has had autos. bleh. Its looking like the BBS brake/tire option would be smart. Also good to know about the wheels...seems theres a touch more flexibility there.
Yep, I've been driving Mark DeShon's 350Z in STU this year. I ran my 370Z (pictured ->) last year in CS.
The 350Z is still in CS, the 350Z NISMO and 370Z are BS, and the 370Z NISMO is in AS.