Junior Karters - Respect!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Junior Karters - Respect!

Post by Will Kalman »

If you think those kids are out there just wheeling a cute little kart around the track for funzies, guess again! I brought out the kids' previous kart (we just upgraded) and ran it in "KM" in complete JA spec. I'm at a weight and equipment disadvantage, but I figured I may be able to apply a little driving mojo and hang with the kids

I got "pwnd" (the proper youth term) by my daughter to the tune of 3 SECONDS (and she was 1.6 off the lead). Make no mistake, those kids are doing Real Driving on par with the best of us!
Will Kalman

Re: Junior Karters - Respect!

Post by Will Kalman »

Now the real fun will be when Robert Baltazar brings out Jake's kart and the old guys can run heads up! :mrgreen:
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

LOL. I was wondering what that was all about in the results.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

I was working course wondering who the big guy in the Fj kart was. Now you really understand "momentum car"!
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Yeah, I've been spoiled by Big Civic Power all these years! ;)
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

... and the annual FJ Cup was born!

really, though, can I play?
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

Event #2... beat one kid and was only 0.148 off the other ... Gaining ground! Still almost 1.5 seconds out of the lead in JA :shock:

These things don't accelerate hard (although rev limter @54mph at the end of the first wallom!), but when you plant the gas at the start and don't lift until the hard zig-zag, and are on the gas 90% of the rest of the course, you don't slow down much, either!
Will Kalman

Post by Will Kalman »

QV, catch me at a practice some time and we'll see if you fit!
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Good job Will...

I hear ya though... The kids to drive the tar out of those Karts.

Years ago when Michael Contours bought a Kart for his daughter to use... before he knew SD had not approved Jr Karts... a few of us SCAT members gave it a run during club runs. Michael & Steve Schmidt both ran F125 at the time, and were the first to run the Kart. They both ran the whole course pretty much wide open, with a few lifts. I remember they stated they never hit the brakes until after the finish line. When I took my turn...I was lifting, tapping brakes in some places, hitting them hard in others... it was then I knew F125 was not for me... those slow to accelerate... put-put kid karts... were to scary fast! Well... in full disclosure... had I had a full face helmet, and not the open face one I owned & used, getting pelted by sand and rocks... the over all speed might have not been as bad. I'm sure some of the slowing was sand blasting avoidance.... but not all.