How does the year end standings / trophies work?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chad-1stGen
Club: CASOC
Car#: 268

How does the year end standings / trophies work?

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Hi,

I apologize if this is covered on the site or forum but I couldn't find it when I looked. I'm trying to stir up interest in folks running CAM in the LA region next year and a SDR participant asked if LA works like SDR and I don't know the answer.

In SDR your year end standings are dictated by your 8 best events and they drop the the lowest 5 scoring events. Looking at the standings here for CalClub it looks like you drop the lowest 3 scoring events and keep the rest? Is there a year end trophy?

Thanks. Here is hoping for some CAM representation in 2016!
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: How does the year end standings / trophies work?

Post by Craig Naylor »

Your description of SD rules are incorrect.
In San Diego points earned aside, you must attend 2/3ds of all events to qualify for year end trophy.
Then they remove the lowest points to nominilize to those 2/3rd of events (rounded up).
In LA you must attend 1/2 of all events. A sliding scale then determines the number of drops based upon the total number of events held.

Example: Lets say 11 events held for the year in each region.
In SD you must attend a minimum of 8 events, and only your best 8 events will be tallied for the year end total.
In LA you must attend a minimum of 6 events, but only you best 8 events will be scored.

Attend 7 events in SD and accumulate enough point to win your class... sorry charlie, you did not attend the minimum number of events. That guy you slaughtered every event, who attended 8 events... but had less points, wins the jacket.
Attend 7 events in LA, and still accumulate the most points... you win your class.
Attend 6 events... and still pull off a class smack down in LA... you win your class
Attend 5 events in LA... no participatory trophy given. :-)

Other than that differences are minor.
SD uses a straight % of class winner (points are tight)
LA used a multiplier (points spreads are larger)
Ultimate difference, winners in SD often win my tenths of points. In LA by ten's of points.
Where this plays out in LA... tenth of a sec win on 30 sec courses have more weight than a tenth of a sec win on 60sec course.
In SD points a win by a tenth... is a tenth, be it a 30 sec course or a 120 sec course.
Last edited by Craig Naylor on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Chad-1stGen wrote: Is there a year end trophy?
Winners have a choice of a jacket or a high quality chair, both with appropriate decoration. Trophies for additional places based on the depth of the class.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Stephen Strand
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

Rick Brown wrote:
Winners have a choice of a jacket or a high quality chair, both with appropriate decoration. Trophies for additional places based on the depth of the class.
Are we contacted about choosing or are we supposed to give our choice to someone in particular?
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Stephen Strand wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
Are we contacted about choosing or are we supposed to give our choice to someone in particular?
I'll be contacting all those that are eligible in the next couple of days.
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Thanks for the info Craig and the much more accurate explanation of how SDR works!
Warren Leach

Post by Warren Leach »

Chad-1stGen wrote:Thanks for the info Craig and the much more accurate explanation of how SDR works!
Well, 'more' accurate is not 'completely' accurate.

We have two needed qualifications ns in San Diego... You must attend 2/3 of our Champ events, running in the same class, AND you must be in one of the five host groups. You can be a 100% and lose out if you are not in a host group, and that happens every year. This year we had 13 Champs (the lowest in several years), 2/3 of 13 is 8.6666666. As 8 is not 2/3 of 13 it gets rounded up to 9, the lowest qualifying number in several years. Notice there is NOT a requirement to have a 'points card' or 'solo card'. You could run a temp number all year and still get a year end...of course no one does that because it would cost an extra 30 or so dollars...but you could.

We also don't have minimum entrants for year end trophies. In order to get an EVENT trophy at least three participants must be in class that event. But for a year end? You can run alone every event and we will still give you a jacket....after all, you paid for it with fees. Everyone who qualifies gets a trophy.

Our event points are calculate by taking 1st place, dividing it by each finish time, then multiplying by 100. So if..
1st 54.456
2nd 54.987
3rd 55.367

It would be 54.456/54.987 =99.034X100= 99.034 points for second. First place is always given a 100. Above scenario would be..
1st 100
2nd 99.034
3rd 98.354

Points are always calculated off first place even if 1st is not in a host group. I believe the reasoning behind using this system is it rewards consistency, it is very possible to win at year end with consistent high second places, just as long as with you or someone else occasionally creams the more frequent winner. It also rewards those that come out the most events.

Warren
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Inexplicably, San Diego has somehow become much further away than in the past and I no longer attend regularly. I won't be in a SD club in 2016. Can I still renew my card for $10 with no club in case I do want to come down occasionally?
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bill Martin wrote:Inexplicably, San Diego has somehow become much further away than in the past and I no longer attend regularly. I won't be in a SD club in 2016. Can I still renew my card for $10 with no club in case I do want to come down occasionally?
Nope,
Hommie (S.D) don't play that game!

But... just like in LA, you can just list one... claim membership, receive the benefits w/o giving back.
unlike LA, clubs turn in rosters in SD. If they don't in-turn list you, you'll not receive that jacket. But it doesn't should like you attend enough events for it to matter.

As in most of life, there is a way to make things work... even if not by the letter of the rule/law.

Guarantee there will be much gnashing of teeth for doing such... but...

San Diego has the rule...
requiring the purchase of a "number" printed on a card that's not a "points card" :roll:
(I'm probably the only one who find's humor in that, and... Warren will most likely step in and clarify once again)
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Are we contacted about choosing or are we supposed to give our choice to someone in particular?[/quote]
I'll be contacting all those that are eligible in the next couple of days.[/quote]

Any word on what we'll be getting this year? I know some people wanted to change it up
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:Are we contacted about choosing or are we supposed to give our choice to someone in particular?
Any word on what we'll be getting this year? I know some people wanted to change it up
As last year, you will have a choice of jacket or chair. Unfortunately, due to my very limited time this last month, and being out of town for the last 8 days, and the banquet being early in the month, it is not likely I could get everything done by the banquet. So, as has been done before, there will be one embroidered jacket for photo purposes and 1 each of the sizes so you can try them on and be sure of getting the correct size. The chairs will be the same or very similar to last year. So those eligible will be able to choose between the jacket or chair at the banquet.

Those receiving a jacket or chair as Class Champion this year:
PAX - Tom Berry
PAXL - Cat Tran
SSR - George White
SS - Erik Hagendjk
AS - Tom Tanquary
BS - Guy Walker
CS - Adrian Cardenas
DS - Scott Mullens
ES - Leonard Cachola
FS - Brian Stovers
GS - Steve Strand
HS - Adan Tarnoff
HST1 - Brian Howlett
STS - Jeff Wong
STU - Jeff Stuart
STX - Alex Valencia
STF - Rocco Pedreira
STR - Bob Endicott
SMC - Julian Manolov
CSM - Jessica Pao
CST - Kurt Ressler
Prep - Stanley Kowalski
CM - Jason Swindle
JA - Kevin Jung
JB - Robert Ekstrand
NOV - Bill Marlow