Nationals...?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Nationals...?

Post by Dan Shaw »

Hi all,

Getting an idea of what kind of expenses I may be facing this year, including how the traveling is going to work...

Anyone care to share how many events they run/usual expenses n such? Trying to get a gauge of how many I "need" to run vs "want" to run. Considering I'll likely be driving there and what not. Car will be my DD and not sure how reasonable it is to expect it to hold up driving to/in/from events so far away. Scary proposition to me. Not to mention running locally in SFR region....
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Matt Ales
Car#: 87

Re: Nationals...?

Post by Matt Ales »

I've done a couple different things and really cost is what you want to make it. If you want to be nationally competitive and run a full local season then you'll probably need to plan for 2-4 sets of tires as well as a couple alignments and additional events to make sure you're seeing more competition than at the local events. If you're out to have fun and learn and you're considering national events to see more competition then you can definitely do it with 1 set of tires, minimal modifications, and only a couple of the more local national events. If you're just out to have fun and learn, running locally can be done with no changes to your current car and you can come out when you want. I've run the "full season" in my FS M3/ Daily Driver and I've done National events only so here's the breakdown for me.

Full season of local is ~$100 per event if you do practice and championship, there's 13-15 events a year I think. That doesn't include anything else, just showing up and running. My commute is 40-60 miles depending on the site.

National events are about the same price, $110 for tours last year and ~$115 for Pro Solos. The Pro Finale and National Championship are both $170 or so I believe. For me personally, a "full season" of national events is San Diego Tour, Match Tour this year, Crows Landing Tour, El Toro and Crows Landing Pro Solos, Pro Solo Finale in Lincoln and National Championship in Lincoln. I drive to everything but Lincoln. That's a couple hundred miles each way in gas and 2 nights of hotels unless its close enough to drive. So far I've shipped my car twice to Lincoln but many people tow out there or drive their car if they have the time.

Not sure what your need vs want criteria is but if you want to run for a Pro Solo National Championship then you "need" to run at least 2 Pro Solo events prior to the finale at Lincoln to qualify. So probably the El Toro and Crows Landing ProSolo. You don't need to do anything to qualify for the Solo National Championships, just register and show up. So if national championships are your goal you really only need the 3 pros and nationals if you're really good. If running everything is what you want to do then add up all the above plus tire cost, hotels, gas etc.

The great thing about autox is that it can be as expensive as you want it to be or it can be really inexpensive and still fun. You can build your car to the max of the rules, run a ton of events in different regions and do a bunch of national events, or, if you're just focused on a local championship you can run the minimum number of Sunday championship events for full points, I think like 10-12 events for the year, Sunday only is $30 so that's pretty low cost, or you can just run when you can afford it and have a ton of fun!

Hope that helps.

-Matt
#87 - 2006 BMW M3
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Excellent explanation, Matt. Only thing I'd add is that another way to reduce costs is to have a co-driver/tire warmer. As the car owner, how the costs (and potential contingency payouts) are shared is between the two of you.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

Perfect, thanks guys. Precisely what I needed. :) The car I'm looking to run will have work done to it already more than likely, finances permitting. Tires would be the main expense as would alignment.

Appreciate the advice!
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Oh... And nothing ever breaks!

:twisted: :oops: :twisted: :roll: :| :shock: :? :( :cry:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One