Shop to fix my race brakes

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Shop to fix my race brakes

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I give up. After several attempts my ground up custom brake kit for the RallyMiata is leaking less, but leaking still.

I need a shop who can fix the several leaky spots, mostly flare connections. Might need to remake a few lines. And will need a proper bleed since apparently I'm too impatient to do that too.

The car is very stripped down, non-op and I don't want a lot of crap about it, so I need a custom/racer friendly shop. Near Huntington Beach and the sooner the better.

Suggestions? I'd take a private citizen's garage too if someone is up for the task.

Jay W
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Shop to fix my race brakes

Post by Anthony P. »

Have you tried flare savers (copper flare washers) if tightening it just doesn't work? Mesa hose has them in most sizes.
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$

Post by Eric Clements »

I'm sure I could handle it... But not until the week of the 18th
Jayson Woodruff

Anthony Porta wrote:Have you tried flare savers (copper flare washers) if tightening it just doesn't work? Mesa hose has them in most sizes.
Are these for flares or for AN fittings (Bill mentioned over the weekend). I've yet to have an AN problem, but I haven't exactly put a lot of pressure on the system yet either.

I just dropped the poor thing off at a shop this morning. It looks mostly like an american shop, but they didn't seem put out. We'll see how it goes.

Jay W
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Anthony P. »

yeah. for AN although I dint know if they made them for other things. I had a bad set of lines that came with my kit initially and that caused lots of headaches until I figured it out.
Jayson Woodruff

The shop I used seemed to get it figured out pretty quickly. They told me they just snugged everything up. I was tightening things up, but it started to get that "stripping" feeling. Mike E brought up a good point that what I was feeling was probably the copper compressing.

They bled and it appears to be strong. I find drips here and there, but that might just be residual from previous leak. Pedal and hand brake are solid.

I threw them a bone by ordering up a header back exhaust. 1.6L of Fury.

Wish me luck. Going straight into the biggest RallyX of the year untested after a nearly complete strip down and build up.

Jay W