The rise of the CAM class in Cal Club!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chad-1stGen
Club: CASOC
Car#: 268

The rise of the CAM class in Cal Club!

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Back in 2015 I started trying to learn more about SCCA autocross near orange county and stumbled on Cal Club. My first post in these forums was asking about a CAM class as I didn't see anything for CAM in the event results section.

Adam Tarnoff and Craig Naylor replied with the following:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:We have it, just no one participates in it. I have 91' Camaro and when I run it I usually run CST. I ran CAM once and won. The other guy never came back.
Craig Naylor wrote:There can't be a class till the 1st person shows up, and then the second etc, etc.

It's kinda like the Muscle car itself... a few existed before, but it took the Mustang showing up on the scene to start the craze.

Be the impetus to start the class here.
After doing my first couple of Cal Club events and having a great time on the course and off I have tried hard to get the word out and to build the CAM classes. All I wanted was Craig's approval lol.

This past Sunday we had a record turnout of 15 CAM competitors (10 CAM-T and 5 CAM-C). In fact, before Sunday I had started to make a blog post predicting the rise of CAM in Cal Club so Sunday's turnout was icing on the cake.

Check it out my blog post here: http://www.autoxandtrack.com/rise-cal-c ... autocross/
Last edited by Chad-1stGen on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Molina
Car#: 274

Re: The rise of the CAM class in Cal Club!

Post by Paul Molina »

I ran my GT350R in Nov SS class last sunday.
Can I run in 2 classes on the same day? I would be interested in running in the CAM-C to get more seat time.
Paul
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Paul,

If you're looking for a few extra runs on a competition day, get there early and purchase some X-Runs....4 extra laps (no additional work assignment). Great way to get some extra seat time.

Randy G.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Paul Molina

Post by Paul Molina »

Alright, I forgot about that, sounds easier that way.
But can you run multiple classes if you wanted to?
Paul
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Paul Molina wrote:Alright, I forgot about that, sounds easier that way.
Paul
Hi Paul. It was nice meeting you on Saturday. Randy beat me to the punch on X-runs. I tried looking in the rules and found the following:
3.1 ENTRY
A driver may enter each event only once for points and/or awards.
3.1.1 SECOND ENTRY
Second entries (“X Runs”) are for time only
Maybe you could also sign up in advance for time only too? I'm sure one of the people in the know will better answer your question.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Chad-1stGen wrote:
Paul Molina wrote:Alright, I forgot about that, sounds easier that way.
Paul
Hi Paul. It was nice meeting you on Saturday. Randy beat me to the punch on X-runs. I tried looking in the rules and found the following:
3.1 ENTRY
A driver may enter each event only once for points and/or awards.
3.1.1 SECOND ENTRY
Second entries (“X Runs”) are for time only
Maybe you could also sign up in advance for time only too? I'm sure one of the people in the know will better answer your question.
Time Only is considered the same as any other class, your first set of runs. 2nd set is X-runs. You can purchase more than one set of x-runs, though. First set (NOVSS) car number is 274, 2nd set is 274X, third set is 274XX.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Paul Molina

Post by Paul Molina »

I understand now, thanks for the help.
See you next month!
Paul
silvio zucchet

Post by silvio zucchet »

I can buy more than one set of x runs... :thumbup: 8-)
smooth is fast
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

silvio zucchet wrote:I can buy more than one set of x runs... :thumbup: 8-)
...In concept. But x-runs sold, can be limited based upon event turn out for E-board sponsored events.

... other events are sponsored by member clubs. Some clubs have limited x-runs to only one set per person.
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Chad-1stGen wrote:Back in 2015 I started trying to learn more about SCCA autocross near orange county and stumbled on Cal Club. My first post in these forums was asking about a CAM class as I didn't see anything for CAM in the event results section.

Adam Tarnoff and Craig Naylor replied with the following:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:We have it, just no one participates in it. I have 91' Camaro and when I run it I usually run CST. I ran CAM once and won. The other guy never came back.
Craig Naylor wrote:There can't be a class till the 1st person shows up, and then the second etc, etc.

It's kinda like the Muscle car itself... a few existed before, but it took the Mustang showing up on the scene to start the craze.

Be the impetus to start the class here.
After doing my first couple of Cal Club events and having a great time on the course and off I have tried hard to get the word out and to build the CAM classes. All I wanted was Craig's approval lol.

This past Sunday we had a record turnout of 15 CAM competitors (10 CAM-T and 5 CAM-C). In fact, before Sunday I had started to make a blog post predicting the rise of CAM in Cal Club so Sunday's turnout was icing on the cake.

Check it out my blog post here: http://www.autoxandtrack.com/rise-cal-c ... autocross/

cool! you will be seeing another 4th Gen Camaro in Nov. or next year. :twisted:
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy: