Wheel sizes in F Street

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Dmitry Vakhlis

Wheel sizes in F Street

Post by Dmitry Vakhlis »

Hi everyone, I've got a G37S Sedan and I'm thinking about entering the F Street class. I've been reading the rules, and it seems that I'm limited to stock width of the wheels, however in the same class is also G37S Coupe, which has wider wheels from factory. My question is, if the wheels are factory wheels from Infiniti, and both cars are in the same class, how come I can't use the wider coupe wheels so that I can run more tire?
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Re: Wheel sizes in F Street

Post by Eric Clements »

The Solo rules are set up as a list of allowances. If it doesn't say you can, you can't. You're welcome to squeeze any size tire on your sedan wheel as you please.
If you move up to Street Prepared there is a rule allowing update/backdate between cars listed on the same line.
Dmitry Vakhlis

Post by Dmitry Vakhlis »

Eric,

I was trying to avoid going to more expensive classes, but that's fine too. I guess I'm limited to stock sedan wheels, which is fine.
Matt Ales
Car#: 87

Post by Matt Ales »

The only loop hole to this is if the larger wheel size was offered as an option then you can run that size. For example, on my E46 M3 you had 2 options, 18x8F and 18x9R OR you could go big with the 19" and get 19x8F and 19x9.5R from the factory. As a result, within the rules of Street class, anyone with an E46 M3 can run 18x8 front and 18x9.5 rear.
#87 - 2006 BMW M3
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I started out with a G35 sedan. it was totally uncompetitive, but a lot of fun! Taught me a lot about throttle control. My advice, given my first experience, is spend year or so learning to drive what you're driving and don't spend an extra cent, other than tires. Then buy something that you can build to a given class and be competitive. Drive the crap out out of what you currently have, then figure out (talk to people in our group, (particularly those that drive what you're drawn toward) what you might want to do long term.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Dmitry Vakhlis

Post by Dmitry Vakhlis »

Honestly, I haven't been planning on getting into autox. I've done it a few times with other outfits mainly to tune my actual race car, and decided to try it in my recently purchased daily as well. Honestly, I've seen what FS is like in my region, and I might actually have a pretty solid chance against the cars here. I was 2 seconds adrift of fastest car in non PAX FS, and I was on 340tw tires. With the bigger front sway bar and good 200tw tires, I should be able to close that gap.

My other car is this
Attachments
FB_IMG_1489119701077.jpg
FB_IMG_1489119701077.jpg (95.43 KiB) Viewed 6915 times