General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Ed T
Current Solo Director
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 711

Live Streaming AutoX Events

Post by Ed T »

Has there been any discussion within the leadership team with regards to live streaming local championship and practice events? Haven't heard of any other clubs doing it, but I've seen friends in other regions just propping up a burner phone and go live. I always thought that was interesting. I know when I'm done with my half day on Sunday and if I'm already home, I always hit refresh on SoloLive anyways to see the latest results.

Pretty low maintenance, a webcam + mic + hotspot, run out of the timing trailer. Good for promoting the sport locally? I know our radio announcers all do a really great job at announcing already. If there are issues with cars going off track, there could always be a temporary kill switch so the club doesn't get dinged with insurance. Just a thought!
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Live Streaming AutoX Events

Post by George Schilling »

Ed T wrote:Has there been any discussion within the leadership team with regards to live streaming local championship and practice events? Haven't heard of any other clubs doing it, but I've seen friends in other regions just propping up a burner phone and go live. I always thought that was interesting. I know when I'm done with my half day on Sunday and if I'm already home, I always hit refresh on SoloLive anyways to see the latest results.

Pretty low maintenance, a webcam + mic + hotspot, run out of the timing trailer. Good for promoting the sport locally? I know our radio announcers all do a really great job at announcing already. If there are issues with cars going off track, there could always be a temporary kill switch so the club doesn't get dinged with insurance. Just a thought!
In answer to your question Ed, there has been no *official* discussion about live streaming. It sounds like a great idea. Here's the deal....we are an all volunteer organization. If this is something you're interested in and would enjoy doing, take the reins. If there is no cost involved, you're willing to do the work, or have someone willing to do the work, and it doesn't disrupt the event, my guess is it would embraced wholeheartedly. If there is a cost involved and you'd like the region to cover the expense, you can present your detailed idea to the solo committee so the options can be weighed and a decision made.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Thanks George! I'll do some research and put a few ideas together. I'd like to see live streaming for future events so I'll be happy to try to make it happen.
Lauren Kane Porta

Post by Lauren Kane Porta »

Something we looked into at work for live streaming is Mevo: https://getmevo.com/

I'm sure it's too pricey and more than we're looking to do, but it's pretty cool!
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Lauren Kane wrote:Something we looked into at work for live streaming is Mevo: https://getmevo.com/

I'm sure it's too pricey and more than we're looking to do, but it's pretty cool!
I came across that as well! Really cool for vlogs and youtube channels! It is pricey, maybe its something we can work towards but i'm sure there are more affordable alternatives.