Children under 12 riding in a car at an event.

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Children under 12 riding in a car at an event.

Post by David Barrish »

This weekend I had the opportunity of sharing a number of laps on Sunday with my son Samuel. Having turned 12 in August this event was the first time my run group ran after the kids run, just after lunch. That said I was sitting in line waiting our turn to make that first father/son lap when I realized that Samuel has been running FJB for over two years. My car, the '95 NA Miata was going to seem not only slow but limited by the stock springs, it was going to roll profoundly. Our first run confirmed my thoughts, he asked if I had ever rolled the car at an event. My answer, not this car.

But to the point, if kids are running in the junior kart program why can't we take them as passengers before they turn 12? Having access to a Saturday Practice to run with them in the car would give the opportunity to provide a coaching session in a non competition drive on the course. More importantly, are they having fun?

But looking back, we have been lucky and grateful for the help and encouragement of the parents and kids in the FJ program. Without the community of families we would not be participating today. Having the opportunity to take our kids along for a lap would be a moment to share with them what they are seeing and how they are driving the course. It would also help establish that it's continuing to be fun for the kids. It's not like they have tried the clarinet that's been dropped in their lap and they decide they do not want to play in the band anymore.

Mary and I are both band-geeks. Today she has a hay processing unit and I have the cars. Samuel wants to start flying, the kart is teaching him to be comfortable in poetically uncomfortable situations. This could a very good thing.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Re: Children under 12 riding in a car at an event.

Post by Reed Gibson »

I think part of it comes from size. A child under the age of 12 is probably too small to be considered a safe passenger in the eyes of the SCCA or whoever penned this rule.

Just some food for thought.
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

David, under 2017 Solo Rules Section 1.3.2 - D
A passenger is allowed provided he/she: 1. is no younger than twelve (12) years old or is at least 57” tall; Page 20

And both parents must sign the minor waiver form.
David Barrish wrote: But to the point, if kids are running in the junior kart program why can't we take them as passengers before they turn 12?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Kevin Pao wrote:David, under 2017 Solo Rules Section 1.3.2 - D
A passenger is allowed provided he/she: 1. is no younger than twelve (12) years old or is at least 57” tall; Page 20
Kevin, I'm curious, was the height allowance new for 2017?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

2016 or 2017. Robert wrote a letter to the SEB supporting the idea when he was 11 (and 64"). They passed it, but it didn't go into effect until he was already 12.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Write a letter to the seb. Just copy and paste what you wrote.
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

George Schilling wrote:
Kevin Pao wrote:David, under 2017 Solo Rules Section 1.3.2 - D
Kevin, I'm curious, was the height allowance new for 2017?
I believe it was 2016. But I could be totally wrong. But it was relatively recently that they added the height limit.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Anthony Porta wrote:Write a letter to the seb. Just copy and paste what you wrote.

It's easier to just message Shauna.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

My guess it has to do with insurance, and the insurers perception of who would potentially not be properly secured in a seat belt in an incident.

IMHO were lucky it's not a age, and weight, & height combo...
- Thankfully they drew one line in the sand (now with an exceptionally for tall 11 & under kids)
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

It's SCCA risk management and Insurance rules. The RX program tried to change their limit to 10, but were quickly slapped and recalled the change.

Jay W